Status: Completed!

Skin Deep

home

We continued on our way northwest, raiding almost every building that we found. Many towns had to be sped through, a few we even went off-road to get around for safety reasons, but we still managed to gather enough resources to keep ourselves alive. Camping overnight started to happen about a kilometre or two from the road, in the open, with one of us staying awake to keep watch. The nights were getting colder, but we couldn’t find any more suitable houses to stay in, due to too many Biters being near. Early one morning I woke to find Merle screaming and fending off a large snake that had been investigating him while he slept. During the middle of another night we were scared awake by kangaroo rats scavenging through the bones of the pronghorn Daryl had shot. We were all on edge and needed more security.

After heading directly west and off-road to avoid a humungous herd of Biters, we hit forestry. Completely surprised by the yellow leaves on the tall trees, we decided to continue on in hopes of finding a safer place to reside. Daryl’s mood changed within hours, and when we had a toilet stop he caught two squirrels with ease. I figured that he felt more at home hidden in the trees rather than exposed in the desert. As we drove on, I didn’t feel particularly happy. Here it was damper and that seemed to greatly exaggerate the cold autumn air. Not to mention the trees provided cover for Biters, when they were extremely easily spotted out in the desert. But the brothers urged me onwards and we soon found a luxurious wooden cabin amongst pine trees. After they had investigated the area and proclaimed it was safe, we broke the lock and went inside.

“Damn…” Daryl muttered from my left. Merle had straightaway headed for the stairs, and Daryl towards the lounge. I turned and gripped onto the handle of my knife tightly, thinking my knuckles would be turning white. Then I heard the gargling noises. A Biter. After rounding the corner I easily spotted it. A man had hung himself in the house, perhaps unaware of not needing a bite to turn, and now he was helpless.

“Let’s check the rest of the place. We don’t have to stay here,” Merle said quietly. Daryl agreed with a nod, and I followed him around the ground storey while Merle went upstairs.

“Your old place as flash as this?” Daryl wondered quietly as he crept into the adjacent room, crossbow raised.

“This house makes mine look like a pig sty,” I admitted as we noted that the dining room was empty. Well, except for the massive wooden table and ten or so expensive chairs.

“Guess this is one good thing that can come from the world turning shit,” he remarked as he neared the archway in the wall. Through there was the kitchen, also empty of any Biters and as quiet as can be. I breathed a small sigh of relief. “I think this place’ll work out.” I turned on my heel and saw Daryl, bow lowered, walking towards me from the large window on the opposite side of the room.

“Really?”

“Yeah. Got a lake out there, the cabin seems secluded and safe, I can go hunting everyday…” he trailed off. I bit my lip as I thought about it, trying to imagine what life would be like to stay in one place and to have my own house.

“I can’t really comprehend having a home again,” I admitted with a smile. Such a simple thing from the old life seemed so unrealistic now. I walked behind the breakfast bar, setting my knife down on it as I walked by. Then I pulled open the closest cupboard and saw clean, stacked plates.

“Wouldn’t it be great, though? Starting over out here,” Daryl wondered as I checked another cupboard to find cans, exactly what I was searching for.

“It would be,” I agreed, wishing that there weren’t Biters anymore.

“We could just forget everything that’s happened, y’know?” he continued. As I realised what he might be referring to I froze. I turned around and saw him setting his crossbow down on the bar next to my dagger, and his eyes flicked up to gaze at me. Despite Merle’s little pep talk a while ago, did Daryl now want more? My stomach flipped at thought of the extra contact I could get, the things I had been missing out on for a very long time. I smiled and walked closer, picking up my blade and moving past him.

“I do know,” I said, heading across the room to the unopened door. Daryl reluctantly picked his crossbow back up and joined my side, signalling for me to open the door and he’d move in first.

There was no further danger in the games room, bedroom and bathroom that we found next. We met Merle back in the gigantic lounge and heard that there was nothing and no one upstairs either. This place was ours, if we could only get rid of the rotting corpse hanging from the ceiling. The Biter twitched its limbs, trying to reach us.

“Now what?” I asked them as we stared up.

“This place is still spotless. No point getting its blood or brains everywhere,” Merle commented after he had set his pistol back in its holster.

“An arrow?” Daryl suggested.

“Would still be messy. We’d gotta get it down and out by ourselves,” Merle replied and my heart skipped a beat.

“You’re not saying we should keep it alive, are you?” I questioned anxiously, making him laugh.

“Well, if one of us cuts it down, the others can lead it outside, away from the cabin, and kill it,” he explained with a shrug.

“You’re insane, Merle,” I stated as I crossed my arms. Merle raised his eyebrows, wanting clarification. “What if it goes wrong? No point in taking an unnecessary risk.”

“Seems necessary to me,” Merle shrugged. I looked at Daryl for support and he winced.

“It sounds the best to me too,” he said. “We’ve handled much more dangerous situations, I’m sure we can deal with one that’s tied up.” I clearly had no choice but to help them out.

“Fine. But let’s do this quick,” I grumbled.