Status: New story

Addicted to You

Holding Back

Tom had not heard from Louie, but still decided to go to her place at the time they had agreed upon, text or no text. But, as soon as he began to climb the steps to her door he got a feeling something was off, though he couldn't quite place his finger on it. Nothing looked different. The light in the front room was on, so he knew she was home. And there were no obvious signs of anything being different. But, the energy just seemed... Not right.
Tom got to her door and hesitated a moment before knocking. He waiting a little, and after no response he knocked again. Finally, he heard soft footsteps approach the door, but the door did not open.

"Who... Who is it?" She asked through the door. Her voice sounded different. It wasn't the same happy, delicate voice he had grown used to. Instead it was timid and raspy. Tom's heart jumped. Something was wrong.

"It's Tom, darling. I'm here for our date," he spoke gently but loud enough for it to make it through the door. After a moment he heard the bolt lock click and the chain lock slide before the door handle itself was unlocked and turned. The door opened slowly and only slightly, so that only Louie's head poked out and half her body showed. Tom almost gasped at the sight of her. She looked exhausted. Her eyes were puffy and red, her hair pulled into a messy bun with strands falling in her face. From what he could see she wore only a large black t shirt and ankle socks. But even with all of this, her beauty was breath taking.

"Hello, Tom," she whispered, her voice raspy and drained of emotion, but she still attempted to give him a smile, but he knew right away it wasn't her smile. It was a smile of an exhusted woman whom he did not recognize. But he made sure to show no signs of his shock and confusion. Or the fact that he was sensing that something just wasn't right.

"Hello, darling," Tom cooed. "I fear I caught you at a bad time. Should we reschedule?"
Louie let out an airy, obviously forced laugh and gave a nod of her head before stopping and wincing. A wince so quick Tom wouldn't have caught it if he hadn't been on high alert to the thickness in the air.

"I'm afraid I've come down with a bit of a cold. And it's a doozy. But I will be in touch when I am well enough again," she rasped. Tom was skeptical of her story. They may not have known each other long, but they had learned each other well, and Tom knew she was not being truthful, but he played along.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Is there anything you need? Would you like me to bring you some soup and tea?" He asked, but Louie quickly, almost frantically shook her head.

"No," she said quickly, a sort of panic in her voice, but she soon recovered her posture and gave him another forced smile. "but thank you. I'll be fine, I promise. I, I just need rest, I suppose."

Tom now knew something was wrong, and he ached to just reach out to her and pull her into his arms. Tell her whatever she was facing he would be there with her. He would face it with her. That he came to care deeply for her, and sometimes he thought, perhaps even love her. But he restrained himself. If she didn't want to talk about it, he would not force her. All he could do was pray that whatever it was, it was nothing serious. Even if a small part of him feared she decided she no longer wanted to see him anymore. The thought hurt him more than he would ever dream, but even if it were the case, he would be glad it was nothing any more serious on her end. That she was okay was all he cared about, even if it meant being okay without him in her life.

"Okay, love. Just... Call me then, yeah? Let me know you're okay."
For a moment Louie wavered, as if she might break down and fall to her knees. He swore he saw a pleading in her eyes as she looked at him, but as soon as it was there, it was gone, and her mask was back on. She gave a nod of her head.

"I will. I promise," she whispered. "Good night, Tom."
"Good night, Lucrezia."
And with the she stepped back from the door and gently shut it. Tom listened as all the locks clicked and slid back into place, the need to just know what was wrong begging him to knock again, barge into her house, and demand she let him help her with whatever she was dealing with. But, he couldn't bring himself to be so intrusive. So, instead he turned and began to make his way down the steps, and as he did he could swear he heard her crying inside. His heart swelled and throbbed, but he continued on his way, deciding instead he would find a way to keep an eye on her until he knew she would be okay.

Inside her home Louie let all the tears she had been holding in out, and she wished she would have just thrown herself into his arms and let him hold her and tell her everything would be okay. But she was ashamed of what had happened to her. She was soiled once more, and Tom deserved better.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wanted to get this chapter in Tom's POB out. Comments please!!!!!