Cannonball

Cannonball.

“What is your name?”
“My name’s Jenna Robles.”
“How old are you, Jenna?”
“I’m only sixteen.”
“What do you do?”
“I’m a student, writer, and,” She paused. “person.” They smiled at her. Though she smiled back, she was nothing close to being happy. She was sad, scared, and shaking on the inside.
“What are you going to sing for us today?”
“I’m singing Cannonball, by Damien Rice.” They nodded. She was terrified. Gripping her microphone, she didn’t know what to do. Thankfully, someone rushed on stage with a stool. She thanked him quietly and sat up on it. She attached the cold metal to the stand and looked down. Ignoring the rest of the people in the room.
She spoke.
“This one’s for Randy, I miss you every other Thursday.”

Still a little bit of your taste in my mouth
Kiss after kiss. She knew one would be contagious. One meant he wouldn’t stop. Kiss after kiss. She fell for his games.
Still a little bit of you laced with my doubt
Did he even really like her? Was he lying to get something? What had he even gotten!? He had another girlfriend the next week! They’d never kissed in his head!
Still a little hard to say what's going on
So many times she wanted to call him crying, let him listen to her tears. That he and his so called best friend caused. Could he even handle it, like the man he’s supposed to be?

Still a little bit of your ghost, your witness
Maybe someone would get him back one day. Ruin him like he ruined her. His ghost would follow him until someone did.
Still a little bit of your face I haven't kissed
She’d never gotten a chance to kiss him back. To hold him in her arms and kiss him softly, like he’d gladly done for her.
You step a little closer each day
He had complimented her, telling her that she looked cute in her dress. Telling her she was adorable as she buried her head in his neck and chest.
He was so close to her, but her hands were bound by his choices.
That I can't say what's going on
His girlfriend, was so scared, so stupid. She ruined a girl who’d never had a light in her life. What had she done!?

Stones taught me to fly
Love ‒ it taught me to lie
Life ‒ it taught me to die
So it's not hard to fall
When you float like a cannonball

Still a little bit of your song in my ear

Standing in line with him, his girlfriend, and his friend, she resented him greatly. Her best friend, her girl best friend, stood beside her texting her about his girlfriend, a prompt slut known to them.
With the girlfriend gone, he was the same kid they’d known since ninth grade summer. But she wasn’t taking it. Where was her big brother that’d helped her into and out of her life?
Still a little bit of your words I long to hear
His voice was so soft to her, muttering out words that she sometimes listened to. But this time, it was different. His voice wasn’t the same. He wasn’t the same. He wasn’t her brother anymore.
He was a boy she’d once known and stupidly fallen in love with.
You step a little closer to me
He grabbed her shoulders and she jumped. She turned from the game to laugh at him, but he just didn’t let his smile reach his cheeks like they used to. She knew he was gone now.
So close that I can't see what's going on
He’d really left this time. No more at school. She was crying at lunch to herself and no one cared a bit. She was no one to them. She was his sister.
Was.

Stones taught me to fly
Love ‒ it taught me to lie
Life taught me to die
So it's not hard to fall
When you float like a cannon

Stones taught me to fly
Love taught me to cry
So come on, courage, teach me to be shy
'Cause it's not hard to fall
And I don't wanna scare her

He didn’t want to ruin anything with her. He wanted everything the same. He didn’t want to hurt anyone. But he did. Oh, god, he ruined her shine. She was gone this time.
For good.
It's not hard to fall
And I don't wanna lose

He didn’t want to lose his sense of normality. He didn’t want to lose his chance at anything he wanted. So he lost his chance with her.
It's not hard to grow
When you know that you just don't know

She doesn’t know what will happen next. All she knows, is that when he sees this. He’ll know he made a big.
Big.
Mistake.

“Jenna that was amazing.”
“Thank you, sir.”
“How would you like another chance to sing another amazing song?”
“I think I’d really like that.” She smiled for the first time while standing on that stage.
“Then get your bags packed. You’re going to Bootcamps.” She smiled wider, but it never reached her eyes.
“Thank you so much.” She felt a tear down her face, and that was how she knew she’d done it.

♣~♣~♣~♣~♣~♣~♣~♣~♣~♣~♣~♣~♣~♣~♣~♣~♣~♣~♣~♣~♣~♣

“What have I done?” He raked his fingers through is hair.
He learned his mistake.
He’d made a very big.
Big.
Mistake.

Little did he know. She would be the one to ruin him.