Waiting for You

Life In a Small Town

I carry the last of the boxes out of the smaller room. It appears to be a child's room. I never knew why Karla had a child room here. She doesn't have any kids. I know that she has a niece, but she never comes out here. I dump the box in the garage. I walk into the kitchen to see her making lemonade. I smile knowing full well that this is how she pays me for the day until the end of the week.

"Brian, you are such a great help. I honestly don't know what I would do without you here," she says her long brown hair flows down her back. She pours me a glass of lemonade. "I should hope to see you tomorrow to mow the yard?"

Karla is a girl originally from Los Angeles, California. She has the natural beach tan. Or at least it seems natural. She goes to the tanning salon here in town. I know that she misses her home town. She moved here when she started dating a man here. He was offered a job in New York for a year. She now just lives here until he comes back.

She really isn't waiting for him. I think she knows he isn't going to come back. Not for her anyways. His name is David. He is a good guy, but he isn't one to commit. He really does try though. When he was offered the job, he took it on the spot without thinking about Karla. She understood that the moment she got with him. She moved here to try show him that she cared, and I think she just wanted to get out of LA for a while. I know that a part of her misses LA, but I think another part of her is happy that she left. LA is a town that can tear a person to pieces even if you lived there your whole life.

"Yeah," I answer taking the glass from her. "I will be here." I drink the rest of the lemonade and start to head out.

I start thinking about what her sister looks like. She has told me about her moving in with her. That was why I was here today. She wanted me to help fix the rooms for them. She hasn't told me why her sister is moving in. I had to help clean up the rooms which it doesn't bother me. I like to help people. I believe she has a little girl. I realize now that was why there was a kid's room in her house. I feel like an idiot.

I wonder how much they look alike. Is Karla's sister tan from being near the beach? Does she have that brown hair? I am honestly looking forward to know that there is going to be a new girl in town. Someone else to meet. Someone else that might make me happy.

I can only imagine why I want to meet her. I am lazy when it comes to looking for girls to date. I don't want to go out all the time to try to meet a girl. I don't see how that can be fun. Going to get drunk to try and find a girl to possibly marry. There isn't much of a point to it. Sure, I go out with my friends to drink every now and then, but that is when I want to have a little bit of fun.

I drive to the local gas station. The only one in the town is Ryan's shop. Ryan is dead now, but his son has taken over the place about two or three years ago. The place is nice enough for the population that we have here.

I just hate having to drive an hour to go on a date with a girl if I don't like them all that much. Los Angeles has the nearest places to take a date if you're 'grown-up'. The teens usually go to the local dinner. It isn't that fancy. If you don't like the person, then you have to deal with it. Unless you are just rude or heartless. Some of the teens go to LA to go the movies. There isn't much here. There is some fast food places around here. There is a school, but it isn't very big, and the next town over goes to our school.

I walk in to see Kassie working the register. Kassie has been my on and off again girlfriend. I like her, but I don't love her. That was why we broke up the last time. I never told her that I loved her. She was furious that she told me all the time that she loved me, and I never even acknowledged that she said it. I put up with her because a man needs something other than a hand every now and then. I have no clue if she is still made at me or not. I guess we will find out.

I grab a drink and walk up to the counter and smile. I set down the bottle of water. She looks at me and glares. She's still mad at me. I try not to laugh. It's hilarious to see her mad.

"Will that be all?" she asks. Her words are laced with venom. Even Ryan Jr. knows to steer clear of her when she is like this.

"Yeah," I answer in a kind voice. "This will be all."

I can hear he mumbling as she rings me up. I hand her five dollars only pissing her off more. She opens the cash register and gets the money out of the drawer. "Have a nice day," she growls at me.

I go back to my car. I can't help, but laugh. I don't know why I have actually got back with her so many times. I don't know what possessed me to want to be with her in the first place. I knew she was like that when I first met her. Well, I grew up with her in this town. I drive to my house with a smile on my face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here is the second chapter of the story. The first in Brian's chapter. This is really more or less Brian's prologue. Anyways, tell me what you think. <3