I'll Meet You There.

Chapter IV

"Wake up, Baudelaires. Today is the day." Mr. Poe said softly into the darkness of the room. Violet was the first one to hear him, and she nudged Klaus awake. Rose was holding Sunny closely, as to comfort her as their mother used to.

"We are awake, Mr. Poe. Thank you. We won't be too long." Rose said, turning on the light.

This woke up Edgar and Albert, making them furious. Rose looked at both boys with a nasty look which shut them up even before they said anything.

The Baudelaires worried and stressed as they packed their few articles of clothing. They also moped, as they left the room of the Poe children. Mr. Poe had them cramped into his tiny, new car. The Baudelaire children were also very worried as they drove a little into the city.

When they passed the burnt remains of their home, they cringed. Klaus sighed as he hugged Rose; Violet was left to comfort Sunny, who gently bit her older sister's finger.

Finally, Mr. Poe stopped the car in front of a very gorgeous house. It had a little garden next to it. All of the property was enveloped in a white picket fence. Violet looked at Rose; they both sensed a feeling of relief.

"Mosoher!" Sunny shrieked, which meant something like "Look at this wonderful house!"

Rose stepped out onto the sidewalk, and smiled at the woman who was watering flowers on a windowsill. She looked welcoming.

"Hello Baudelaires. I'm Justice Strauss. I knew your parents when they were adolescents. I've heard a lot about you. I'm very sorry for what has happened..."

Violet smiled sadly to the kind woman, and shook her hand. The rest of the children did the same, and they all gave Justice Strauss the same sad smile.

"You are always welcome to come visit me, anytime you please." She said, smiling a toothy grin.

The Baudelaire twins looked at each other in fear.

"You mean, you don't live with Count Olaf?" Violet asked.

"L-live with C-Count Olaf? No...I...he's my neighbour." Justice Strauss pointed towards the house across the street.

This building is a sad building, with a tower, and lots of broken furniture and parts of the house. It's a wonder it has electricity and running water.

Mr. Poe brought the children over to Olaf's...mansion, if that's even what you would call it. It looked so broken down, even Mr. Poe thought it wasn't very fit for children to live in. Nevertheless, he is a busy banker and does not have time to bring them to another relative.

They knock on the door, and wait for Count Olaf to come greet them. I think you and I both know...this will not end well.

The first time our villain laid eyes on the Baudelaires, he was already stricken with so much greed that he could imagine all the excuses and plots he was going to use to get their fortune.

"...Enter..." he said above a whisper.

Mr. Poe and the children were frightened, but they entered. What choice did they have now?
♠ ♠ ♠
L's publisher is about to send me the next installment. It is a very sad one indeed.