I'll Meet You There.

Chapter V

The children spent a miserable time at Count Olaf's. As soon as Mr. Poe left, Count Olaf dropped his façade, of which he was good at, and told them about how he was going to make them suffer. He very much enjoyed the fact that he had two beautiful, young twins in the house. He would make them do the more wife duties, whereas the boy and the baby could do more of the harder tasks.

Olaf, the villain in this retched tale, wondered how long it would be until he would have a scheme to steal their fortune. To Olaf, the Baudelaire name was not of a stranger. In fact, he knew their parents quite well indeed. You see, years ago, at the opera La forza del destino, Olaf was made orphan by the very parents of our heroes, the Baudelaire orphans.

I musn't reveal too much at the beginning, said my associate, Mr. Snicket. But as a professional writer, I must inform you of everything I can before my time is up. You see, the people who are after my associate, have also caught wind of my writing. Therefore, I must ensure you that the story of the Baudelaires live on...

After a few strenuous weeks of work and labour, Rose was the first to pip up about it. Her back was sore from scrubbing the floors on her knees, and her arms were sore from scrubbing all the pots and pans from the filthy kitchen. At least, now it looked more like a kitchen.

"Do any of you realise what he is doing to us is wrong?! Can't we just step up, grab our stuff and head out the door? Our parents may be dead, but they would never allow for this to happen to us! Klaus, you must have read up on something like this. This can't be legal!" she shouted, one night, in their tiny room filled with a bed, a lumpy mattress on the floor and a handful of filthy, ripped curtains.

Klaus and Rose took the bed, while Violet slept on the lumpy mattress on the floor, next to Sunny, who had a crib made out of the curtains. While not the most comfortable, the Baudelaires were just happy to have each other by their side every night.

"I know what you mean, Rose...but we can't just leave. Where would we go? We are three children and an infant! I'm sorry, but we would be picked up by the police in no time, and sent back where we came from...which is here." Violet said, placing a comforting hand on her twin's shoulder.

"I wish Mom and Dad were still alive...They would never let someone so vile take care of us...so to say, he isn't doing much caring..."

They didn't discuss it further, until the next day, when they awoke to Olaf being...pleasant. He had made them oatmeal, with raspberries on the top. While raspberries were Rose's favorite berry, she did not feel comfortable eating them without proof that the food had not been poisoned.

"Come now, Oprhans...eat up! We have a long week to go before our production of the wonderful play by Al Funcoot...The Marvelous Marriage. Rose, you will play the wonderful bridesmaid, twin to the bride. Sunny will work the curtains with my associates, and Klaus can be one of the witnesses in the church. Which leaves the lovely Violet to play the bride...who marries the devastatingly handsome Count, who will be played by me. Now eat up, and get your chores done! I expect dinner on the table for my whole troupe by seven sharp!" And with that, Klaus got up and made a statement.

"We aren't going to do this anymore! You make us work so hard, please...at least let Sunny rest while we work. She's scarcely an infant." And with that, Klaus got a slap to the face.

The children found it hard to do the rest of their daily chores while they thought about what to make for dinner. They also found it hard to be nice to Justice Strauss, who offered to help them with the dinner dilemma, while they thought about Olaf's plan. Why a play? Why have the children involved?

It came to both Klaus and Rose that night, as they prepared the sauce for the pasta puttanesca they were making for Olaf's troupe. They didn't share it with the others, as fear they would be caught talking while preparing the food. Olaf and his troupe were in the living room, preparing for the big night, only a week away.

Olaf wanted to marry Violet, so to get his hands on the Baudelaire Fortune...Klaus figured it out when he was reading Nuptial Laws at Justice Strauss' house, and Rose figured it out when Olaf kept mentioning the blushing bride was to be Violet.

Now, they wanted to turn to the only other person of authority they thought they could trust...They wanted to see Mr. Poe.
♠ ♠ ♠
My dear friend, J.S., has promised me he will deliver the next installment of this story. Do not give up hope on the Baudelaires!