Status: just starting out ;) feedback?

What Goes Around Comes Around

Chapter 12: Hello

"Hello, sweetie. I'm Darla." Artie's wife and Tyler's mother greeted me, smiling fondly. I stuck my hand out to shake hers but she shook her head. She leaned in and hugged me, then pulled back. She reminded me of my mom.

"Sidney Crosby. It's nice to meet you." I told her as she went back to chopping up vegetables, obviously preparing dinner.

Peyton was sitting on the bar stool, sipping her water bottle from time to time. She just stared blankly at the wall, occasionally narrowing her eyes and frowning.

"Where's my mom?" She turned to her grandfather, an accusing glint in her eyes. He cleared his throat as Tyler gave his niece a look of sympathy. Darla just whistled and put the vegetables in the boiling water. I stood awkwardly, awaiting the answer.

He sighed and smiled slightly. "Still at work, sweetie pie." He told her and she just narrowed her eyes again. "She should have been here 15 minutes ago." Peyton was growing paler and paler. I was beginning to get worried, never having to deal with a sick child, let alone my child.

I saw Tyler sneak up behind her, he reached out quickly and tickled her sides, causing her to jerk up and get lost in a fit of giggles. I found myself grinning, my heart growing more and more at her happy face.

"The bus was probably late, kiddo." I heard the front door open just as Tyler finished speaking. Peyton's head whipped around, looking at the doorway. I glanced over and Aurora was standing there, smiling at Peyton.

I was a little surprised, to say the least, at how she looked. She had more make-up on than I'd ever seen with her. Her hair was down, in long waves. She looked beautiful; like she always has. Just different and sad.

And that's your fault, a little voice whisper in the back of my mind.

"Mum!" Peyton's face broke out into a huge grin and she hugged her mother. Aurora's face was one of pure adoration.

You gave all this up for a sport, Sidney, that voice went at it again. That little voices name was Regret.

Peyton ran back over to Darla to help her with dinner. And that's when Aurora noticed me standing in the kitchen, looking and feeling out of place.

She acknowledged me with a curt nod but I noticed the tiny smile and shake of her head before she walked over to her father. She was surprised I hadn't left yet.

"So, Aurora," Tyler began, a mischievous smile dancing on his face, "you bagged a famous millionaire. I didn't think you had it in you, sis."

Artie threw a potato at him, causing Aurora to laugh. Darla glared at her son, causing him to smile sheepishly.

"You see, Sidney," Aurora looked at me, her eyes never leaving mine. "Tyler doesn't have a filter. You'll figure that out eventually." She raised an eyebrow and I smiled at her. I was stupid, but not this stupid. I knew she was indirectly asking me if I planned to stick around.

"I look forward to it." I told her and she glanced away, nodding. She didn't believe me and she had no reason to believe anything that came out of my mouth. But I believed myself and that was always the first step to doing anything, right?

My text alert chimed and I pulled out my phone, quickly opening the message.

New Text Message:
Taylor: They're asking me questions and I don't know what to tell them. It's not my place to tell anyone anything, it's yours. Be ready to answer everything soon. Love you Sid.

I didn't know whether she was talking about the team asking questions or my parents. I imagined it was both. I began fidgeting, watching as Peyton and Aurora said good bye to everyone.

I knew the reason for my nervousness wasn't because I was ashamed of Peyton or Aurora. I could never be. I was ashamed of myself and the person I was.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back! Sorry for the wait.

I'd love to hear what you think.

Predictions ? Opinion on characters? Sidney, in particular.

Thank you and I love you guys!