Status: just starting out ;) feedback?

What Goes Around Comes Around

Chapter 15: Surprises

"What's the weather like in Pittsburgh?" Peyton asked me as I sat on her bed, looking around her room. She was packing her small bag, 2 hours before our flight.

I smiled at her. "Just like Boston." I stood up and walked over to the window, looking at the cold and rainy November weather. "Make sure you have enough stuff." She nodded and packed the small bag.

Soon enough we were our the door, driving my rental car to Logan Airport. Aurora sat in the back, speaking quietly to Peyton. I had invited Aurora to come for the small trip but she declined, saying that she had work. I still hadn't managed to work up the courage to ask what she did for a job, fearing the answer.

I parked the car in the lot and we walked toward the terminal. Aurora touched my arm softly when we reached security.

I stopped and met her big blue eyes. "Please take care of Peyton. She's not allergic to anything but she does have asythma. Here's her inhaler." She handed me the inhaler, looking like a nervous wreck. I gave her a reassuring smile.

"I'll have her call you every few hours, okay?" I promised and she smiled, an odd look in her eyes. She shook her head and frowned before looking away.

"Here are the keys to my rental." I thrust them into her hand before she could refuse. "I figured since it's there and it's easier than public transportation, you could use it." She thanked me but looked suspicious.

"Alright, let's go." Peyton butt in, hugging and kissing her mother before dragging me towards security.

•••

We landed right on time and we were on our way to the CONSOL energy center in no time. My car was still parked where I left it days ago.

We sat in the car in silence but it wasn't an awkward silence. It was a comfortable one; Peyton looking at the new city and me watching the road, occasionally glancing at her. This still seemed so unreal.

I pulled into the back of the arena, parking in my usual spot. I grabbed one of the small bags I brought with me and jogged over to the passenger side to open the door for Peyton. She hopped out and stared up at the arena in amazement.

"Cool, right?" I asked, with a grin on my face. She looked up at me and smiled. "Very cool."

I began walking towards the back door, assuming she would follow. I nearly jumped when I felt a little hand in my gloved hand. I looked down at her in surprise and utter happiness but she looked straight, like nothing happened.

I couldn't wipe the stupid smile off my face even if I wanted to. I tapped the electronic key to the back door so it would open. We walked in and I led her right to our locker room. She gasped when she looked around, her eyes wide. I chuckled at her reaction.

"This is amazing." She spoke, not bothering to look at me. I shrugged and she raised her eye brows.

"You don't think this is awesome?" She questioned, now staring at me like I had three heads. I sat down in my stall, and she sat down in Letang's, right next to me.

"Well yeah, it is. But not worth what I gave up." I blurted out before I could stop myself. She just nodded and gave me a knowing look, acting way too mature for her age.

I jumped up from my seat and nervously rubbed my hands on my jeans. "Okay, I'll be right back. Stay here. I shouldn't be longer than 5 minutes. You can look through the guys stuff, if you want." She laughed and nodded, already distracted by the hockey sticks on one wall.

I jogged down the hallway, right into the trainers room. The team doctor was sitting in a chair and immediately looked up when I came him. I called him beforehand and I told him I'd come in if he promised me he would be the only one in here.

"Thank you for keeping your word." He nodded once, not looking too happy. He motioned to the cot and told me to sit there.

He performed some neurological tests I was too familiar with and took some notes.

"Has your pain been getting worse?" He asked and I shook my head. "No, it's all gone. I've had no nose bleeds and I'm starting to eat normally again."

"Okay, you can leave. Just so you know, I will be telling Dan I saw you when I see him next." I nodded, assuming that anyway. I thanked him and went back to the locker room.

She was sitting in my stall, looking content. She looked up at me when I walked in. I picked up the bag and brought it over, sitting in the stall next to her. I pulled out her skates, which I had asked Aurora if I could take from her hockey bag to surprise her.

"My skates?" She questioned as I handed them to her. I stood up and grabbed my skates from the cubby above her head. I sat back down and laced them up, as she began to do the same.

I handed Peyton her helmet and she put it on as I put mine on, knowing I didn't really need it for what we were doing but wanting to be a good example.

"Come on." We walked out of the locker room and I led her to the bench, opening the door so she could step out onto the ice.

"Unreal." She muttered as she skating around slowly, eyes widened in amazement as she took in the arena, all the seats. I wondered how she'd react if those stands were filled with fans.

I stepped on the ice after her, for the first time in a week. I was surprised when I didn't feel the same way I usually felt when I stepped on the ice. I took it slow, hoping the rush would come.

After a few minutes skating around, that rush didn't come. But another one, a different kind of rush came when I heard her voice.

"Sidney, come on! Let's race!" She yelled excitedly, a devilish look in her eyes. I laughed and followed her to the goal line, where the race would begin.

Happiness, I thought as she gave herself a head start, the rush is happiness. And I don't think hockey is giving me that anymore.

•••

Peyton and I went back to my house after our countless hours of skating and laughter. We ordered Chinese food, and she went to bed early, saying she was exhausted from all that skating. She slept in the guest room, a room I was planning on turning into her room, whenever she came to Pittsburgh.

I stayed up later, not being able to sleep. I thought about the way my life had changed in the past week or so. I thought about the fact that I had a daughter, a smart, funny and gorgeous child. A child I was already falling in love with. I thought about Aurora, the struggles she went through and the ones she is still going trough. I thought of ways to help her. I thought about my friends and family, how they would react when they found out about Peyton. I

I woke at 10 a.m, and laid in my bed until I heard a scream and a bang. I jumped out of bed and took off running, nearly tripping and falling down the stairs.

"Peyton!" I yelled, getting quite frantic. I ran into the kitchen and I could barely believe my eyes.

Peyton was standing there, a frying pan in her hand and a man clutching his side. I couldn't see his face, he had a hat on and a coat zipped up all the way. Peyton locked eyes with me and the look of relief was obvious on her sweet face.

"Sidney!" She ran over to me, very careful to stay away from the man on the floor. I picked her up, and she threw her arms around my neck and buried her face in my neck, breathing heavily.

I backed up slowly, not wanting to look away from the man, afraid he might have a gun or something. He began to get up, his face still concealed and I put Peyton down, whispering for her to run upstairs.

"Don't move!" I shouted, scared shitless but more afraid what might have happened if Peyton hadn't been.. Well, if she hadn't been herself and acted the way she acted. "I have a gun! I'll shoot if you move another inch." I warned and could still see Peyton, she was hiding behind my couch.

"Sidney." The man cackled out and I recognized that voice in a second. I let out a breath and walked towards him.

"Flower, what are you doing here? Are you alright?" I asked as he stood up, still clutching his side. I could see his eyes now and they were bright with anger and confusion.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey y'all! I worked really hard on this and I'm happy with the outcome.

I've gained like 40+ subscribers in the last month. So thanks for that and I'm happy you like the story!

But I haven't been nearly getting any comments. They motivate me to write and help me get ideas of what to write. So I really need to know what you think. I'll update again once I get some feedback.

Thank you and happy New Years!