Status: just starting out ;) feedback?

What Goes Around Comes Around

Chapter 5: Airplanes

"Please step to the side, sir." The security guard at the airport instructed me, his stern face regarding me with annoyance. I stepped away from my shoes and wallet, which was on the conveyer belt at the airport. I really, really hated not being on our jet. Regular planes suck.

He waved the metal detector went slowly up and down my body, taking his sweet old time. My eyes continually darted back to the clock, not wanting to miss my flight. My foot began tapping, quickly growing aggravated by the slow pace of the man.

"Excuse me, officer, but my plane is leaving in ten minutes and I don't have anything harmful or what I was supposed to put on the belt on me." He met my eyes and just continued what he was doing, choosing to act like I didn't speak at all and ignored me. I huffed out a stressed breath.

"Stop moving your foot." He snapped and I immediately quit tapping my foot. I closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths, trying to calm myself.

"Okay, looks like you're okay. You may proceed." He turned on his heel and nearly stomped away. I shook my head, feeling sorry for the poor bastard. I knew I was heading in that direction.

I returned to my stuff on the belt and walked through the body scanner, no alarms or anything going off. I proceed to put on my shoes, grabbing my wallet and keys, stuffing them in my pockets. I picked up my carry on and wandered around, trying to find my gate.

I sighed when I finally found it. I took a seat and waited for the boarding to be called. I began twiddling my thumbs, a nervous habit I had picked up years ago. Aurora was going to want to kill me. I wasn't naive enough to think that things would be happy and wonderful, our relationship resuming like nothing ever happened. That type of shit happens in movies. Not in real life, but one can always wish.

The little girl was a whole different story. She would be 9 now, old enough to realize I wasn't out protecting them. If she was anywhere near as smart as her mother when she was little, then she'd be pissed. She would know that I'm not out making big changes in the world, that I'm not out saving people and that's why I can't be with them. People say I'm successful because I play hockey and have money. Sidney Crosby, the man with everything. Was it wrong to feel like I had nothing? I was so much better off than most people, but I guess money really can't buy happiness.

My eyes darted towards the hallway that would lead me to the exit, to get away from all of this. To run away, to not have to face the rejection of Aurora and my.. And my daughter.

I rolled my eyes at the thought. You already fucked up royally once, Sidney, I reminded myself. Don't add more things to the mix.

"Flight 87 boarding." The speaker boomed and I hopped to my feet, wanting to get this show on the road. The irony of the number wasnt lost to me; I gave up on what I'm now searching for, for a jersey on my back, for a game that I wouldn't be able to play anymore.

I handed the woman the ticket and boarded the plane, walking to the back to find my seat. I took my seat, which just happened to be a window seat. I can't even remember the last time I was on a regular flight.

The plane departed earlier than planned and I just closed my eyes, not fully registering how life altering what I was about to do was. My life can't really get more fucked up and I had to do what's right for once.

The plane landed earlier than expected and everyone swiftly filed out of the plane, only the sound of a crying baby and a mother cooing in the midst. I smiled at the baby as I walked past.

Taylor had found her address for me. How? I have no idea. I really didn't want to know how either. I walked around Logan Airport, searching for the car rental place I knew they had here. I saw the sign and the place surely thereafter.

"Hi, I'd like an SUV of some type, please." I smiled at the woman at the desk and she glanced at me, typing something into the computer.

"A range rover?" She asks, a southern drawl laced her voice. I nodded. That would feel like home. I signed all of the necessary papers and decided to pay when I returned it, not really sure of how long I was going to be here. "It'll be out front." She told me and I thanked her. I walked out the door, the cold nipping at me. I put my hood up, trying to stop the wind from hitting my face.

I saw the black range rover that was identical to my own. I didn't feel much comfort, remembering I felt like I wasn't belonging there anymore anyway.

I put the address into the built-in GPS and followed the directions, driving down the unfamiliar roads. I finally reached an older apartment building, looking like it was in the rough area of town. I felt a slap of guilt, knowing I landed them here.

I parked the car in the small parking lot and walked in, surprised that there was no door man or security system. Anyone could just walk in, whenever they pleased.

I walked up the stairs to the 6 floor, my heart racing like mad. I couldn't believe how close I was. I strode down the hallway, which smelt like cigarettes and cooking. I stopped in front of 6A. My head started pounding, my stomach feeling nauseous. I took several deep breaths, trying to calm my panicking nerves.

I knocked on the door, hands clammy and shaking. I let out one last shuttering breath, trying to remember what I had been planning to say to her. It was like everything went blank.

The door knob slowly turned and a tall man stood there, looking at me in confusion. I heard two different giggles coming from the apartment, one I recognized and one I didn't.

I was thinking over many ways she would react but I never thought a guy would answer her door. Most likely, her boyfriend. I never took in account that she moved on. That's another one of my problems; I think the world revolves around Sidney Crosby.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey! I know this kinda sucks but I'm like half asleep right now. I'll edit tmo but I hope you liked it.

Please leave a comment!

Rec and sub too :)

Oh, and happy birthday to Kris Letang! ;*