Status: On going

Ever the Survivor

Chapter 4: Going Away Party

Going Away Party


“Morning sunshine.” Dylan said as Kat walked into her kitchen the next morning, who nodded her head at her brother. She had thrown on a pair of sweatpants before making her way to the kitchen where she heard him moving around. He however, just had his boxers and a tank top on he must've had on under his t-shirt the night before. He made them some coffee, so he was sitting at her small dining room table with two cups sitting out. “You should really buy food for this place. You have nothing but coffee here and I'm starving.”

“Why? It would just go bad. I'm only ever here for a few days every so often.”

“Yeah. But we could just take the food to Kay's when you leave.” Dylan smiled.

“Like you need anymore food at that house. She makes enough to feed an army every time she cooks. You eat leftovers for days.” Kat said, pouring the powdered creamer and sugar into her cup.

“ At least you never mind eating the leftovers though. She's a great cook.” The two agreed, sitting across from each other.

“So what's on the agenda for today.” Kat asked, looking at Dylan.

“Well I have to be at work by noon, so we should probably head back over to Phil's in a little bit.”

Kat nodded her head. “I'm gonna go put on some clothes then. You should too.” She smiled, taking her cup with her to her room.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“So who was that guy you were talking to for a little bit last night? I think I've seen him at Jake's before.” Audrey said as she started eating her lunch. She had texted Kat and asked if she wanted to meet her and Sarah on their lunch breaks.

“Um...Some guy I saw on the side of the road before I got to the restaurant. I guess he was helping his brother change his flat tire.” Kat said, pushing the rice around her plate.

“Yeah....But what's his name?” Audrey said slowly, like it was obvious.

“Uh...I don't know.”

“God, how much did you drink after I left?” Her friend laughed.

“No! I just never asked him. It never came up. We didn't talk for very long.”

“Well maybe he'll be there again Saturday.” Audrey said.

“Yeah that should be fun. I won't be able to stay too long though. I have to be into work in the morning.” Sarah said, much to the dismay of the other two girls.

Kat kind of hoped she would she the man there though. She wanted to see those eyes again. She was such a sucker for blue eyes.

The rest of the day went slow. She had stayed at home with Phil and Kay until the boys got out of school. They were happy it was finally the weekend. They were going to spend the rest of it with their sister. They all played Xbox together, then she helped them with their weekend homework. Kay said she wished they would always be that excited to do their school work. The only time they ever actually wanted to do it was when Kat was there to help them. She knew it was just because they were happy to be spending time with their sister, no matter what they were doing. Most of the time, Kay had to bribe them with her famous homemade apple pie.

They had a movie night after supper and stayed up late watching horror movies. They all slept in the living room, spread out on sleeping bags and pillows. Until they were all woken up by the delicious smells coming from the kitchen in the morning.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“I like that place we was at Thursday.” Merle said as he and his younger brother were carrying stacks of two-by-fours to the area they and the crew had marked off. They were finishing a deck they had started building earlier in the week for a house.

“Yeah. 'S a lot bigger than Jake's.” Daryl said, throwing his stack down.

“You see that firecracker with the red in her hair?”

“Yeah.” She'd crept into his dreams the night before. He didn't want to say he'd spoken with her. He knew his brother would go on about how he didn't take her home or bang her in his truck in the parking lot. 'Cause that's what I'd do' Merle would say.

“Spicy lil thing.” Merle said as he kneeled down and got out the tape measure to start marking off where to cut the wood.

They would probably be done with this job around 1pm if they were lucky and could take lunch before heading across town. They were installing wood flooring in a new house on the other side of Barksdale. It was probably going to take them all week to do the first floor of the house anyway, so they were only working until 5 tonight. They would start again on Monday. Daryl didn't like working Saturday's much, so he hoped it would at least pass quickly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kat couldn't believe she was already leaving tomorrow. The days always flew by when she was here. She was excited to start the night though. Sure, she had drank with Dylan before, but she'd never gotten to go to a bar with him yet. It was like going to a bar with your buddies for the first time. It was really the only time Kat ever drank, when she came back to see her family and friends. It was also her “going away” party. And if Audrey and Sarah had anything to say about it, they always made sure it was hard for her to get up in the morning when she had a flight. Even when she said she wasn't going to drink that much. One of the last things you want with a hangover, is turbulence on an airplane. But it almost always ended up the same. Cousin Jase having to come pick up a very drunk Kat or Sarah being the designated driver for the night. The one thing they were both thankful for was Kat wasn't a 'let's puke all over the place' drunk. She just laughed a lot and couldn't walk a straight line. She was little, but the girl could hold her liquor, drinking Jase under the table a few times.

Audrey and Sarah were waiting for their friend at the bar already that night. Kat texted them saying her and Dylan were on their way. Jase was dropping them off and would be up late, so decided he would pick the two of them up. It was around 8:30pm when they walked through the door. Country music greeted them as they walked in and looked around for Audrey and Sarah. They spotted the two sitting in one of the booths facing the band. Of course they already had alcohol ready and waiting as the siblings sat down.

They took shot after shot with each other and had a couple of beers and mixed drinks while they listened to the band play. After awhile when some people started to leave, they all decided to go sit at the bar so they wouldn't have to keep getting up to go order, especially when it was getting more difficult to walk proper.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The parking lot wasn't as packed as it was earlier Thursday night, they noticed, as the 3 vehicles pulled in. It was around 10pm when the Dixon brothers and a few of the guys from work walked into Double Shots. The new bar in Ellijay was quickly becoming a favorite with the local 'wildlife'. They had been at Jake's Bar for awhile but they got bored with nothing to do there but drink and watch TV. If they wanted that, they might as well have stayed at home.

As the men entered the bar, they said hello to a few people they recognized, before walking toward the back game room. They had bets placed for a few games of pool.

Daryl heard laughing as the final song from the band faded out. He scanned the bar where it was coming from and his eyes landed on the girl he'd spoken to on Thursday night. She had on a plain pair of light blue jeans with rips in the front, up her thighs, but had black patches under them. And a gray t-shirt on that hugged her small body. She can wear the hell outta such a plain shirt. He thought as he looked at her. She was sitting with her legs crossed, facing the door, leaning back with her elbows on the counter. But she was looking at her friend next to her, laughing. He stopped, noticing the bar-stool next to her was open. He decided to take a chance and headed for it before he heard his brother.

“Darylina, get your ass over here!” Merle yelled from the back. “We're gonna kick these moron's asses tonight!” He said while grabbing a poolstick.

Kat heard yelling and looked to the back before looking ahead of her and seeing the man from Thursday. She smiled at him before he started walking to his brother.

Daryl rolled his eyes as he walked. They played a game before Merle walked up to the bar to get Daryl and himself a couple Budweiser's. They were all sitting at a table back there for awhile and having something to eat before they started a new game. He decided he'd go say hi to 'Red' while he was up at the bar. Daryl tried to keep his eyes on him the whole time.

“Two Budweiser's.” Merle said to the bartender as soon as he got there. Sliding him a 5 dollar bill and planting himself in between Sarah and Kat. “How's your evenin goin Red?”

“Pretty great. Getting good and drunk before I have to leave tomorrow.” Kat said looking at the man.

“Leavin? I've only seen ya twice, darlin'. You're breakin my heart.” He feigned sadness.

“Oh don't worry baby, I'll be back.” She winked at him before picking up her Jack and Coke and finishing it off.

“Well I sure hope so. Don't got enough good lookin girls round these parts.” He said as the bartender sat down his beers and change. He was wondering how much he could mess with her. She seemed to like to joke around so far.

Daryl could see the two talking from his seat and Merle smiling at her, but couldn't see her face. He kinda hoped he would get to see her punch him, remembering what she said the other night. He was sure his brother would say something stupid to her.

“Why don't ya give me a lil partin gift til next time, huh?” Merle said raising his eyebrows. Causing Dylan to lean against the bar around Sarah to glance at Kat, giving her a “want me to kick his ass?” look. Merle was about the same height as Dylan but the older man was bigger. But Kat knew her brother's strength. All the Carsen kids could give a beating if they needed to.

“Oh, I don't think so, that would be Audrey's job,” she pointed behind her at her friend.

“Hey!” Audrey, said to the two before going back to her drink.

Kat laughed as Merle smiled at her. He picked up his drinks and change, winking at the women as he walked towards the back. Daryl looked away as he saw his brother walking towards them again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dylan switched seats with Sarah to sit next to his sister when she said she was leaving close to half an hour later. They all, minus Sarah, had been taking shots of Jack and Jolly Rancher shots the last hour. Kat had her hand and head on Dylan's shoulder laughing uncontrollably when Audrey almost fell out of her chair as she got up to go talk to Brendan. Daryl saw her leaning into the man and him looking down at her laughing as well, as he made his way to the bar to get another drink. He felt a little jealous of the guy, if he was being honest.

“I gotta take a piss.” Dylan said, sitting his sister upright as he got out of his seat. He passed right by Daryl on the way there, not noticing the man sizing him up. He was about the same height, but Daryl was more built. He had dark blond hair with a bit of scruff on his face, like him. He looked a lot younger though.

Both seats next to Kat were open now with Dylan and Audrey both absent. He decided to slide in front of Audrey's spot while he ordered his drink. Kat had laid her head on her arm, but sat up as soon as she heard his voice.

“Hey, Tire Boy! Do a shot with me.” Kat slurred her words a little as she picked up and held out the shot glass of whiskey that was supposed to be Audrey's and pulled one of the other 2 in front of her.

“Don't ya think your boyfriend'll get mad?” He asked, taking the small glass, brushing his fingers with hers.

“Boyfriend?” She brought her eyebrows together, looking up at him.

“That guy you're here with.”.

“Oh God, no.” She laughed. “That's my younger brother. I don't have a boyfriend.”

Why the hell not? Daryl thought and smiled as he sat down in the seat. She raised hers and they clinked their glasses together and threw back their shots.

“I didn't get your name last time. I'm Kat.” She said as she held out her hand. Daryl looked at it for a second before taking it and giving it a shake. He wasn't used to being touched much and didn't like it. His childhood ruined that for him. But her hand felt so small and soft in his.

“Daryl.”

“So do you live around here?” Kat asked, putting her elbow on the table and resting her head in her hand.

“Yeah, just a few minutes outta the way in Barksdale.” He said, putting his arms on the counter and focusing on the shot glass he was twirling around between his hands. If he looked at her face, he might start staring again.

“Yeah, I know where that's at. Hop, skip and a jump from here. I'm surprised I haven't really seen you before.”

“You ain't from here.” It wasn't a question. Daryl noticed she didn't really have any sort of accent.

“No, I live in DC. I come here every couple months to visit my little brothers. They live here with my Aunt and Uncle.”

“Must have a lotta money to be comin down here so much.” He looked at her face.

“I do alright.” She smiled at him.

“All these yours?” He pointed to the various empty mixed drinks and shot glasses in front of them.

“A few, we were all sharing. We came out to have some fun before I leave tomorrow.” Kat said. She had said she only came to vist 'every couple months.' He had a thought and almost wanted to ask her for a number, but knew he wouldn't. Daryl was kind of shy, keeping mostly to himself. He'd been that way for most of his life. Actually talking to her was the most outgoing he'd been in a long time. He hardly talked to most women, even when he was trying to hook up. Especially the pretty one sitting next to him right now. People were lucky to get more than a few grunts or nods from him. Here he was, giving her sentences. But he still didn't just come out and say 'can I have your number'.

He could hear Merle now in his head. What the hell would a girl like that want with a guy like you? Pushing him away from the question even more. Maybe she was just friendly, or maybe it was just the alcohol.

Merle looked around the back room, wondering why Daryl was taking so long. He looked towards the bar and saw his baby brother sitting next to the pretty girl, talking with her while sipping his beer.

Daryl apologized to her if his brother, Merle, he called him, had said something rude to her earlier.

“He don't really know when to stop sometimes.” Daryl said.

“Oh, it's fine. I've heard worse. I have 5 brothers.”

“Jesus. If I had to put up with 5 of him, I probably woulda shot myself a long time ago.”

Since when does he have a set of balls? Merle asked himself as he got up and walked towards them. She was laughing at something his brother said to her.

Daryl smiled while he listened to her as he felt a hand on his shoulder.

“Hey Red. Whatcha doin talkin to him for when you could be talkin to this?” Merle came up behind them with a grin, and a beer in his other hand, gesturing to himself. Daryl's smile fell from his face as he turned back to his beer, with a slight shake of his head. Why did Merle have to mess everything up? He was actually having a nice time for once.

Kat looked up at Merle, before looking back at Daryl, displeased that the smile had fallen from his face the minute his brother came over.

So it's that kind of relationship. She thought. Big brother picks on little brother. She remembered Merle calling him Darylina when they came in.

Turning to face the older man, she sighed. “If I throw a stick, will you leave?”

Daryl brought his beer bottle to his mouth to hide the smile that was threatening to break through. But Kat could see the corner of his lips tug up, so she lightly kicked his boot with hers.

Merle slapped his hand on Daryl's back as he let out a laugh.

“I like this girl.” He said as he sat on the other side of Daryl.

“This is Kat.” Daryl jerked his head in her direction as his brother sat down.

“Kat, huh. Like....” Merle started, but Daryl glared at him, saying 'Don't you dare say pussy' with his eyes. “a cat.”

“Ha, yeah Merle, like a cat.” She said shaking her head, knowing what he was about to say. She'd been around men like Merle before. “Meoww.” She said quietly, but loud enough that Daryl heard her and caused a corner of his mouth to pull up again. She grabbed her glass and started sipping the rest of her drink through the straw.

Dylan had come out of the bathroom at the back and saw Kat and the men talking. “We got a couple replacements joining the party?” He asked as he sat next to his sister and quickly downed the remaining shot.

“Yeah, this is Daryl and Merle. This is my younger brother Dylan.” Kat said, chewing on the straw that was sticking out of her now empty glass of Jack. Dylan leaned forward shaking Daryl's hand, but Merle wasn't even paying attention. He was talking to the girl next to him whose boobs were practically hanging out of her shirt.

They stayed until after 1am, mostly playing pool and taking shots. Daryl surprised himself, and even Merle when he tried to keep her talking. He could never stand girls that did nothing but blab about nothing. But he kept asking her questions or encouraging her to continue stories she only shared a little of. She was cute and funny. He just wanted to hear her talk. She didn't have a Southern accent and he liked her voice. It made him feel comfortable.

When it came time to leave, Kat and Dylan made their way to the door, after waving goodbye to the Dixon brothers. Kat said they would see them next time she was in town. They made their way out to Jase's truck, or stumbled, was more like it, and he took them back to the Robertson's property.

“Boy, I don't think you've talked so much your whole life. Gabbin like a damn woman.” Merle said to his brother as he walked around the pool table, trying to line up his next shot. They decided to stay the next hour until close. Daryl just rolled his eyes.

“You should go show her your truck next time before she leaves.” Merle wiggled his eyebrows at his brother.

“She ain't that type.”

“Any girl can be if she's got enough alcohol in her. Hell, she looked about 3 shots and half an hour away from fucking ya in the bathroom. I saw y'all lookin at eachother.”

“We were talking.”

“Whatever, boy. Startin to make me think you're gay. When's the last time you got laid or your dick sucked real good?”

“Will you shut the hell up and take the shot so we can leave, Merle.” Daryl only had to sink the 8 ball and Merle would lose. He still had 4 more balls on the table and it wasn't likely he was about to make this shot with the way the whole game had gone.

You're 30. Ain't you a lil old to have a crush on somebody? He thought as he watched Merle miss.