‹ Prequel: Here With Me
Sequel: Youth

Mirrors

Unreal

Image

June 20th, Thursday
Day one of Fashion Week Paris


Sitting front row, I was wonderstruck with the atmosphere and the vibe that filled and overwhelmed the room. We were at the Carrousel du Louvre, below the Louvre itself, and have been here for most of the day, and it was already nearing 7pm. DSquared and Yves Saint Laurent, and smaller designers had already taken the stage and completely blew me away, and after the next show, Blair's line Comeau Blair was up.

He had already introduced me to several people, all of whom were friendly and easy to get along with, especially A$ap Rocky who sat next to us. The high fashion was compelling and the different sounds, whether it be the music or the French language was exciting.

While Blair and I quietly conversed with one another, we were quickly approached by fashion journalists and photographers, eagerly trying to get our attention by blurting out various questions at once.

"Monsieur Comeau, are you nervous for your show?" One reporter asked.

"I have no reason to be nervous."

"Mr. Comeau, what should we expect to see from you this evening?"

"Models in clothing, walking up and down the runway." A small smirk tugged at his lips. I smiled at him, remaining as quiet as ever.

"And who are you?" One person directed her attention to me and the camera flashes flickered. I held my clutch bag closer to my stomach, hiding the small bump, which according to Blair wasn't noticeable, but I remained self-conscious. I cleared my throat, "I'm a writer. Avery-"

"Just Avery. You should see her work." Blair smiled.

I lightly laughed.

"Who do you write for?"

"Interview Magazine." I replied.

"Are you and Blair an item?"

I smiled and shook my head, "No."

"She's my muse. A confidant. And a dear friend. I want her to be big. Everyone will know who Avery is by the end of Fashion Week." He gazed into each of their eyes, making his statement very clear to them.

"So then you're kind of like the new Andy Warhol and Edie Sedgwick?"

He smirked, "You could say that, but I don't intend on ruining her like Warhol did Edie. This kid has great potential and I won't allow anyone to take that from her."

"Avery, how are you enjoying the shows?"

"I'm in awe of each and every one." I offered a small smile, "And I've met some pretty great people." I nudged Rocky who sat next to me and silently listened, he smiled and leaned into the frame of the cameras surrounding us. "I love this kid, already."

"And you'll be seeing her up there very soon." Blair added, pointing with his chin toward the runway.

"Wearing one of your creations?"

"Yes."

"How long have you known Avery?" One reporter pushed past the others.

"Plus de questions." He held up his hands and rose from his seat, he held out his hand to me and I took it, offering a small goodbye to Rocky. The journalists quickly roared again with their questions, "Avery, one last question. Who are you wearing?"

Laughing, I graced their question with an answer. "Alexander McQueen."

We walked off and slipped through the crowds toward the backstage, meeting up with a security guard. Blair flashed his V.I.P card to the guard and we were let in and quickly made a beeline to the area reserved for his clothing that was ready and worn by the beautiful models. He turned to me, "Okay, time to change." He waved one of the clothing assistants over, they brought the ensemble he created for me and the butterflies started up in my stomach.

"I'm getting nervous Blair." I bit my lip as we headed toward a the changing area. The assistant pulled the zipper down from the back of my dress as I stepped out of my heels.

"Don't worry Avery, once you're up there the nervousness will disappear, I promise." He smiled, placing his hand at the side of my face and giving me a reassuring look.

I half-smiled and covered my chest as the assistant helped pull off my dress and slip into the skirt and top of the new one. When I was dressed, I had to put on a robe before being whisked away to the beauty department where I was swarmed by stylists. There was still half an hour till showtime, but they all worked quickly and the butterflies fluttered faster and faster.

Gazing throughout the room, everything around me became silent and the people in the room were just silent figures moving about. I thought to myself of how relaxed I felt being here, despite the rush and adrenaline backstage. What I mean is being here, in Paris, without Hudson. Everything is different here, the feelings that I have are different too. Blair was right when he told me to stop people pleasing. I need to find myself and perhaps coming here was what I needed to start the journey.

I need to be my own person.

A faint smile appeared on my face and soon Blair came around again, "It's showtime." He smiled.

In Christian's Life

The lights in the room had drastically dimmed, which meant that Blair's show was about to begin. I sat in the fourth row back, across from where she was sitting with Blair, front row. My heart had jumped up into my throat when I finally laid eyes on her again, after so long. She was as beautiful as ever as I watched her earlier, before she was whisked away to the back. Her long blonde hair fell past her shoulders in natural waves, the way she smiled and the way she laughed sent memories flooding and invading my mind.

My stomach was in nervous knots as I anticipated tonight, seeing her face to face, in person after two long and painful months. My palms were sweaty and my breath hitched at the thought, but my reverie was broken by the lights on the runway turning on abruptly and the haunting beginning of Reflektor starting up. A voice over of a woman came on, whispering "Comeau Blair" and a male model walked out to start the show.

Blair always had an eye for style, whether it be the way he would decorate our apartment or the way he dressed everyday, he knew what he was doing and tonight he was giving it his all. The back drop was black and white and displayed moving images of the models that were walking. And Avery had picked this song and it was perfect.

After the menswear had finished, a woman had walked out and she began the womenswear show. I swallowed hard, eagerly waiting for Avery to come out. Finally after the twelfth girl, Avery had walked out and looked absolutely stunning and completely at ease. I couldn't help but jump to the edge of my seat and wear a grin that was probably the most excited in the audience.

She stopped at the end of the runway and soon Blair walked out and was received by everyone clapping for him, myself included. He gave his usual smirk before meeting Avery at the end, giving a small nod, acknowledging everyone before turning and leading her back with him.

I was beaming, in complete ecstasy after seeing her. My heart pounded within my chest at the thought of finally getting to see her tonight.

In Avery's Life:
Midnight


"That was insane!" I laughed as we got out of the taxi that stopped in front of his building. He followed me out and then led me inside, "I know, the after parties are always crazy ones. Everyone puts on a highbrow expression at the shows, but they completely unwind at the parties. Everyone loves you Ave, and tonight you were spectacular, you walked with such a grace and confidence. You made me proud."

"Thank you." I blushed

Inside, we bounded up the dimly lit stairwell and tried to race each other, but I fell and started to laugh.

"Are you alright?" He chuckled, crouching down to help me up. Taking off my heels, I gazed up at him and grinned, "Blair, I couldn't be any better. My first day and night at Fashion Week, I've met the most amazing individuals and I've seen the most incredible creations fashion can come up with. I don't know how it could possibly get any better than this."

He just smiled, looking almost nervous, and held out his hands to help me up, "You're not even drunk and you're falling all over the place. Let's get you upstairs."

Barefoot now, I playfully pushed him aside and ran up the stairs again approaching his door. He laughed and followed me up, but I beat him to the door. Laughing and out of breath, I reached for the doorknob, "Pass me your keys."

And not really thinking of it, I just turned the knob and pushed against the door, stumbling into the room through the unlocked door. And I could feel the colour draining from my face as I stared at him, and as he watched me. Was this really happening? Was he actually here? Christian?

"Hello Avery." He quietly spoke.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and Subscribe