‹ Prequel: Here With Me
Sequel: Youth

Mirrors

Chinese

Image

April 13th, Saturday

Gemma had slept over last night and it was pretty late in the morning, about 11:30. We were in the kitchen making a lot of racket as we made breakfast. We decided it was too late to go out for a brunch, so we chose to stay in. I heard the bedroom door open and a laugh. I looked over my shoulder at Hudson.

"Am I still dreaming? There's not one, but two beautiful women in my kitchen making breakfast." He chuckled, walking around the island. He pulled me into a hug and kissed me chastely since Gemma was here.

She laughed and rolled her eyes at us, "You two."

"Gem's dress appointment is at 2pm." I smiled.

"Weddings. It feels like forever since ours." Hudson smirked down at me, I playfully pushed him, "It's only been three months."

She smiled at us, "You're so cute. I can't wait till Kennedy and I are married."

"When is he coming back again?" Hudson asked.

"Tomorrow." She grinned, shrugging her shoulders.

He smiled, "Great. Well, carry on with my breakfast, I'm going to take a quick shower, I'll be out in a tad bit." He laughed as he walked back to the bedroom, but he called me and waved me over. So I came over and asked what was up.

"You said you're going out tonight?" He asked as he pressed his shoulder against the doorframe.

I nodded, "Yeah, probably a club or something."

He bit his lip and softly smiled, "Well, maybe if you come home early, we could order chinese and watch an old movie or something?"

I smiled, "That sounds really nice. I'd like that."

He gave me that cute grin, "Brilliant."

I bit my lip and blushed as I went to join Gemma again. She giggled, "He's so British."

"Yes he is." I agreed. On my mind was the constant thought about moving to London. I haven't told anyone yet, just like I haven't told anyone about the pregnancy. These were two huge things, I needed some time to figure out how tell them...well, first about London.

"Oh Gemma, you're stunning. You look so beautiful. I think this is the one." I smiled, tearing up as I gazed at my best friend standing on a pedestal wearing a gorgeous wedding gown.

She started to cry, smiling and nodding. "I think so too. Yes, this is it, this is the one."

The rest of us started to clap and cheer for her, then her parents, George and Gloria got up and went to hug her and share that parent-daughter moment. I sat on the sofa with Gemma's sisters; Gabby, Ginny and Gwen. If it wasn't already evident, Gem's parents have a thing for the letter G.

The Kleinfeld boutique here in Manhattan was high-end and beautiful, just like it was on t.v. Last night Gemma and I spent the night watching a rerun marathon of Say Yes to the Dress, looked through stacks of bridal magazines, and spent hours planning out her bridal shower.

It's fun planning a wedding, I didn't really do much for mine and that's the difference between me and Gemma; she's dreamt of a fairytale wedding since she was a little girl and me...well, I never thought I'd get married. I have Eric to thank for that. So when I finally got engaged, I was clueless when it came to the wedding and planning, as was Hudson. So we kept it simple, an intimate ceremony in our building and a shindig in our loft.

But I can't help but get excited as I help her plan out her wedding, it's fun and new to me. I smiled and stood up, going to join her and her parents. I hugged her and kissed her cheek, "Gem, you look amazing. You look like a bride. And I'm so glad you didn't pick that other dress, 'cause that bow on the butt was just way too much."

She started to laugh, "Oh Avery, like, everything feels so real now. In August I'm marrying the love of my life. And this dress is so gorgeous." She wiped her tears with a kleenex.

I smiled and hugged her again, stroking her hair. "Yours will be the wedding of all weddings, and you will be the bride of all brides."

She waved her hands in front of her face to keep herself from crying, "Ugh, is my mascara all screwed up now?"

I laughed and shook my head, "No, you still look so fabulous."

She smiled at me, "This was way too easy. Six gowns later and I find the one. I didn't even break a sweat."

I gave a laugh, "That was easy?" She started to laugh, "Well now that this is done, let's go out now, first to dinner then to a club to celebrate."

"Okay, but remember, I'm the designated driver." I replied. I really liked that excuse.

"I know, I know." She giggled, rolling her eyes.

Her parents went home after our light dinner at the Rose Bar, and we headed out to The Prohibition. Although I dreaded coming back to this club after...well, the last time I was here, I indulged them and drove us here.

Even as we got out of my car, we could hear the music was pumping and see the lights through the door. Gemma and I led the way, going in the V.I.P line and taking out our business cards to show the bouncer. Gemma Dylan, editor for Vogue and Avery Hudson, writer for Rolling Stone.

After glancing at our cards he let our party in and in the background we could hear the groans and moans from the angry club-goers that just couldn't get into this club. We went and found a booth to sit in and she waved over a server. She turned to me with mischievous smile, "Are you sure you don't want just one drink?"

Quickly I shook my head, "Nope. Designated driver, remember?"

She just laughed and her and her sisters gave their drink orders to a shirtless server in gold shorts and sandals. I couldn't help but laugh, "What theme is it tonight?" I asked him.

"Egypt. We're the servants." He spoke in an annoyed tone.

I just made a face and stifled my laughter as he left, "Looks like the Cobains are getting creative. Last time it was a 90s rave."

"You know, I got to meet Audrey and Nikolas that night, after you left. They're so chill, Kennedy and Nik have hung out a few times, and Audrey and I went to lunch." Gemma grinned.

"Really? That's so awesome, are they here tonight?" Gabby frantically looked around. Gemma leaned out of her seat and looked around also, so while her and her sisters were chattering and taking in the party, I checked my phone and read some missed texts. One was from Hudson;

"How was the dress shopping thing? lol"

I smiled and answered back, "Fantastic! She found a gown and it's gonna blow Kennedy away! Afterwards we went to the Rose Bar, and now we're at a club. I had a light dinner...I'm thinking about that Chinese food :)"

"I'm thinking about it too. So you think you'll come home so we can have it? I also have a Place in the Sun on dvd."

"I think so, we just got to the club, I'll probably hang around for an hour then leave them with a number of a cab company."

"Sounds good to me :)

"See you then!"

After finishing my brief conversation with him, I continued going through missed texts; a couple from my brothers, a few from other friends, one from Christian.

"Hey, so you know how for the next issue the magazine is doing an artist profile on me, kinda like yours? I thought that you could do the interview and shoot. And I was thinking we could do it at my place :)"

I had to re-read the text, I hope he wasn't implying something, but was startled by an uproar of laughter from my table. The girls were giggling over something that I missed, so I tucked by phone away and got back into the conversation with them.

An hour later, after a lot of dancing and the girls taking shots, I knew it was my time to leave and although they begged me to stay, I left them with a number to a cab company and drove home to spend an evening with Hudson.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)

Chinese by Lily Allen

Gemma's Gown
Image