‹ Prequel: Here With Me
Sequel: Youth

Mirrors

The Party

Image

April 19th, Friday

I was lying on our bed struggling to button up my jeans, making unattractive sounds as I tried to hook the button into the hole. Sighing, I covered my face. "I give up."

Hudson chuckled as he came out of the bathroom wearing only his boxer briefs and had a towel draped over his shoulders. He just finished taking a shower. "What are you giving up on?"

"These jeans! Already my pants are getting snug." I made a face, sighing.

He smiled, "Well it doesn't look like you're gaining weight."

"I'm bloated. Every single website and pamphlet I've gone through says that bloating is a symptom. I'm Shamu!" I rolled over and buried my face into the blankets.

"You're not Shamu. I don't notice anything different. Just wear another pants or something, or look, wear these." He reached down and grabbed my sweatpants from the floor, he tossed them to me but I threw them back on the floor. "I'm not going to a club in sweatpants."

Holding his hands up in surrender, he laughed and went into the closet. "Just find something else, we gotta get going soon."

I closed my eyes, "Can you get a dress for me out of the closet? I don't care which one, just something."

Soon he walked out and sat next to me on the bed, "Here." He draped one of my new dresses over me. "Ave, you look beautiful as always. We'll deal with the pants situation tomorrow." I just looked at him and sighed. "I really don't want to go to this party tonight."

He shrugged his shoulders, "Jann got you an interview with Leo, the least you can do is show up to the party."

"I know."

"C'mon, get dressed. Gem, Ken, Jules and Gin will all be there. We're gonna have a good night, but it looks like it's gonna rain." He gazed out the window.

Gemma and Ginny dragged me along into this club I was unfamiliar with, while the guys followed behind. The place was packed but once I gave them my name, we were led to the V.I.P section where a booth was reserved for us.

Once Jann saw us, he jumped up and roared in excitement, "There you are!" I could tell he already had a head start on the drinks. I was abruptly pulled into a hug by him and I awkwardly patted his back, "Happy birthday, boss." I presented him with a small box neatly wrapped.

"Oh, Avery doll face, this is so sweet. You're such a good kid, you know that? Thank you. Thank you." He slurred, making me uncomfortable. I just laughed, "Open it, I think you'll like 'em."

So he tore the paper off and opened the box that revealed cufflinks. "Aw, doll this is great. Look everyone, they're gorgeous aren't they?" He draped his arm over my shoulders and showed them off.

"They sure are." A voice spoke up. I turned to see Christian sitting with Amelia. "Emporio Armani cufflinks. Good choice." He smiled.

I brushed my hair back behind my ear, "Thanks." While Jann was going on about his gift, I slipped away but not before acknowledging Amelia.

I nodded, "Amelia."

"Avery." She nodded back. I turned and was met by Hudson who quickly wrapped his arm around my waist and briskly walked me back to our booth which was unfortunately right next to Jann's.

Already I could tell Hudson was fuming, but I held his hand and gave him a reassuring look. He half-smiled and turned his attention back to our friends.

"Let's order some shots to get the party started!" Kennedy grinned.

"Oh, uh, none for me." I replied.

"What? Why? C'mon, just one shot." They all complained.

"I just don't feel like drinking tonight." I shrugged my shoulders, "With the rest of my co-workers getting drunk, I wanna be the sober and responsible one."

"Who's responsible these days? In our college days you were the first to offer shots to everyone." Kennedy laughed.

"That was in college. I'm a responsible young lady now." I smiled complacently. Hudson laughed as his arm remained around my waist. Kennedy waved us off as he got up and went to the bar.

"Sadie, Sadie, married lady." Gemma rolled her eyes, giggling. Not long after leaving, Ken came back with a tray of shots. "Shots! Here's my babies." He grinned, eyeing them eagerly.

"An Alabama Slammer for moi, and there's a couple Jäger Bombs, and something that looks to be tequila?"

"I'll check that one out." Jules chuckled, taking the tequila.

As they all had their fun, I was thirsty too, but for a cherry Coke. I turned to Hudson, "I'll be back, I'm gonna go get a soda."

"I can go get it." He offered but I turned him down and went to the bar alone. After I ordered, I waited for the bartender to get to my drink, he was busy which I understood since it was after all a Friday night in New York.

I was then approached by Brandy who was dressed sluttier than usual and it was no help that she wore too much perfume and was holding a piña colada. I had no other choice but to acknowledge her. "Hello." I greeted her wryly.

"Hi there Avery, wow, I love your get up. It's so, Edith Bunker of you. Is that one of those trends you hipsters go for these days?" She smirked, waving her hand over my dress.

"My you sure smell like a cheap hooker, what's that perfume? Baby Prostitute?" I quickly replied, narrowing my eyes at her.

"Oh, ha ha. That's a good one Avery, it really is." She rolled her eyes.

"Why did you bother coming over here to talk, Brandy? Your petty conversations and cheap insults are making me nauseated." The bartender served me my drink.

"I just wanted to come and rub it in your face that tonight Christian's gonna come home with me. I'm gonna blow his mind." She licked her lips and disgusted me.

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah, good luck with that. He's brought a date incase you haven't noticed. I think all that hairspray is clouding your vision." I mockingly gestured her hair.

"You're just jealous." She scowled.

"Of?"

"Me."

"Mhm, hate to burst your bubble. But you're not his type. You're actually the complete opposite."

"Oh, so you're saying he goes for your type? And what is that exactly? A short, dowdy, sarcastic girl. He needs to be with a woman, and I can surely offer that."

I made a face and shook my head, "Maybe you can offer an STD, but woman? Yeah no. There's a fine line between classy and trashy. And you're obviously on the wrong side."

"Just face it, Avery, he's about to spend the greatest night of his life with me. Something you could never offer him." She raised an eyebrow and smirked.

"In case you didn't know, Brandy, I'm married, see." I held up my middle finger, "Oops, wrong finger." I grinned, "Now if you'll excuse me." I took my drink and walked past her back to my group of friends.

"What was that?" Gemma gazed at me in awe, she giggled.

"Oh just some walking STD trying to start something. No biggie." I laughed, taking a seat next to Hudson. He smiled and kissed my cheek, "No one stands a chance against my girl. She's got an acid tongue."

"Awe, thanks." I chuckled, leaning into him.
♠ ♠ ♠
** Part One: I had to divide this and the rest of the chapter or else it would've been a really long chapter. So the second half of it will be up soon. **

Avery's Dress