365 Days

1\1

Martin Jay Lake. Born August 9th, 1922. Died January 13th, 2005. He was a Second World War, and Korean War veteran. He was eighth of eleven children, seven boys and four girls. He fathered six girls and two boys. He married once, to June Rae Garrett. Their anniversary was December 13, 1940. They had their oldest October 17th of 1941. Martin and June were always one of the couples you couldn’t picture with anyone else.

This is a story about them. My name is Julia Adams; I was born October 17th, 1941, with the surname Lake. I grew up hoping for a love story as great as theirs.

They met in mid-November of 1938, during their school lunch break. He was hurrying out the front door, not paying attention, and ran straight into her. Being as she was new, it immediately made her interesting. So, he decided to court her.

As I told you before, they got married in December of 1940. So, obviously, it worked out well.

The next part goes with my birth. I was born in October 1941, as I have said, and as you probably know, December 7th of that year was Pearl Harbor. So, instead of them celebrating their first anniversary, he was preparing to ship out.

He was sent off to Europe. Right after he shipped out, my mother learned she was pregnant with my little brother, James. She gave birth to him in early August.

Obviously, Pa came home. The other six children were born in the next 5 years after the war. In 1946, Caroline and Meredith, twins, were born. In 1947, the other boy, Mark, was born. In 1949, Elizabeth was born in February, and Kara in December. In 1950, the youngest, Sadie, was born.

As you probably know, Korean War was 1950 through 1953. My father took part in it for the last two years.

Fast forward fifty years. 2004. Our final family Christmas. The six kids, our spouses, the twenty-three grandchildren, and eleven great grandchildren. Ma was finally showing her age, and Pa wasn’t doing well.

As I told you, he died the following January.

January 13th, 2006, my mother asked me to take her to the cemetery to pay her respects. She spent an hour kneeling at his grace, weeping. Then, she quietly wiped her tears, stood, and walked towards the car.

June Rae Lake. Born June Rae Garrett, February 23rd, 1923. She was one of six children, the only girl. She married once, she had eight children. Her anniversary, December 13th, 1940. The day she died, January 13th, 2006.

“He passed away a year ago.” The last sentence she ever spoke.
♠ ♠ ♠
So. I wrote this all in about an hour, while still participating in school.

And I'm really proud of it.