About Fifteen Hundred Words

First Impressions

The next day, I was still thinking about him. I had never stopped. I even dreamed about him in my sleep last night. All of this probably sounds really creepy and stalkerish, but it wasn't like that. It's not like I chose to think about him. I actually tried to do the opposite, but nothing could get him off of my mind. He was that intriguing.

“I don't know Cassie, I've tried everything.”, I complained to her during English.
“Just relax Ash. I'm sure it's nothing.”
“But this isn't normal, and I'm starting to get a little freaked out.”
“I would say just don't go near him, but that's kinda hard to do, considering he's in our History class.”

I sighed. This is driving me crazy. I need to stop thinking about him, but it's impossible.

“Well, let's stop talking about him. That's not exactly going to help.”
“You're right, it won't.”
“Oh, I forgot to tell you, I'm not going to lunch today.”
“What, why?”
“I have to go to the school's library and see what books they have on chemicals. I have a huge Chemistry test on Thursday and I absolutely cannot fail it. My parents will kill me.”
“If you say so.”
“If I get done early, I promise I'll come to the cafeteria, okay?”
“Okay, good luck finding anything remotely useful in there.”

The school's library is really pathetic. It lacks anything helpful to the students here, and always smells like pine. Cassie and I always say that it's because the librarians have nothing better to do than clean, since no one ever really goes in there. The only thing it has to offer, is a quiet place to study, and a few good books here and there.

I smelled the overwhelming scent of pine, as I stepped through the double doors. I really hated coming in here, I always leave with a headache.

“Hello dear, may I help you?”, the overly enthusiastic librarian asked.
“Do you have any books on Chemicals?”
“Right down that aisle.”
“Thank you.”

I went off in the direction she had pointed, hoping to find at least one helpful piece of information. I scanned the top shelf, reading the title of each book. I didn't find anything worth picking up until I reached the end. There was a book entitled 'The Basics of Chemistry'. I picked it up, and flipped through the pages. There wasn't much that would help me. In the back, there was a chart of all the chemicals and their names and other things that related to them. This would work for me. I took the book and began to walk back out of the aisle, still examining the chart. But I probably should have been looking where I was going, because I bumped into someone, dropping the book on the floor.

“Sorry, I should really watch where I'm going.”

I looked up, and I nearly died. It was him, with his long dark bangs hanging over his face. He peered out from behind them shyly, slightly playing with his lip ring between his teeth.

“No, it's alright. I should have been looking as well.”

His voice was so alluring, and standing this close to him made my stomach flutter. I looked down at the book and started to pick it up, when he stopped me.

“Let me get that for you.”

He reached down and picked it up off of the floor, handing it back to me.

“T-thank you.”

He smiled, which almost made me melt.

“Your very welcome. I'm Hayden, by the way.”

I felt like saying 'yeah, I know', but that probably would have sounded weird.

“I'm Ashlyn.”
“That's a very pretty name. It's unique.”

I blushed furiously, staring down at my feet.

“R-really? It's quite common here.”
“Well, where I'm from, not many people have that name.”
“Where I'm from, not many people are named Hayden.”

He laughed. It was light and almost inaudible, almost like a small giggle.

“Hey, aren't you in my History class?”
“Yeah, I am.”
“I remember seeing you yesterday, when I was walking to my seat.”

Oh my god, I hope he doesn't think I'm weird for staring at him. I knew I should have looked away.

“O-oh really?”
“Yeah, I remember thinking, wow, she has such beautiful eyes.”

I swear, if I hadn't been leaning against the bookshelf, I would've fainted.

“And I remember thinking you had pretty eyes as well.”

Now it was his turn to blush.

“So, what did you come to the library for?”

I was just a little curious as to what had brought him here in the first place.

“I came to find some books on Geometry. I'm having a bit of a hard time grasping it.”
“Yeah, Geometry can be tricky. It wasn't easy for me at first, but after a while I got the hang of it.”
“I don't think I'll be as lucky.”
“You know, I could tutor you if you want.”

His eyes lit up.

“Really? You'd do that?”
“Sure, why not?”
“That's really nice of you. I'm seriously going to need help in order to pass the class.”
“Well, I'd be glad to help.”
“Do you want to come to my house, or do you want me to come to yours?”
“I guess whatever you're more comfortable with.”
“I'd be fine either way.”
“I think we should go to your house. I have a little brother, and with him around, you won't learn much.”
“Alright then, my house it is.”

Then, the bell rang, signaling that this period was over.

“Well. I should probably get going. I don't want to be late for class.”

He nodded.

“Me too. I'll see you tonight Ashlyn.”, he said, flashing me an adorable smile.

And then he was gone. I couldn't believe it. Not only had I talked to the hot new guy, but I was going to his house to tutor him.