My City

ten thousand hours

As Ben approached the tree house his and Seattle’s fathers had built for them last summer he couldn’t wait to see Seattle. The woods were thick with the heat of August and mosquitos were buzzing everywhere as he pushed the brush aside and saw the massive treehouse in the distance. He started running, grabbing the ladder and pulling himself up into the tree tops.

“Benny!” Seattle cheered as he pulled himself up and looked at her, grinning. She pulled him up into the small fort, hugging him. Ben gripped her back, gripping the small girl in his arms. She’d been gone at summer camp and he had missed her so much. Her normally pale skin was dark and tanned and her hair was riddled with blonde highlights from the sun. She was taller and leaner then he remembered, and those bumps on her chest hadn’t been there when she left. But all Ben cared about in that moment was that his friend was finally back after what felt like a hundred thousand lifetimes. It wasn’t the same trying to play baseball by himself or adventuring through the woods without her.

“How was camp?” He asked pulling away. She shrugged, looking at him with those beautiful brown eyes.

“It was a bunch of dorks who wanted to follow every rule on the planet. It was super boring.” She admitted. “We weren’t even allowed to swim in the lake because I guess some girl who didn’t know how to swim went in there and drowned.”

“Well, I’m glad you didn’t drown.” He said. She simply scoffed.

“I’m an amazing swimmer, I would never drown.” She then bit back a smile as she grabbed her backpack, pulling out a small package with a big green bow. “He’s your birthday present. I was going to send it from camp but I forgot it here when I left.”

Ben narrowed his eyes as he looked at her, slowly reaching out and taking the small object from her hands. She smiled, pulling her legs into her chest. “What is it?”

“Open it and find out dork face!” She joked, grinning at him and showing off those miraculous dimples. He smiled, grabbing the corner of the panda wrapping paper and tearing it gently. When he saw the clear container he looked at her, but she just kept smiling. He pulled down a bit more paper, and the moment he saw the word “JR.” he knew what it was.

Shoving off the rest of the wrapping paper he saw his Griffey card in his hand, still in perfect condition as it sat in the card protector. His blue eyes flew up to meet hers as she grinned. “Happy birthday Ben.” She said, giving him another hug.

“But Seattle, this is yours-”

“It’s been mine for seven whole years Ben. Besides, I think he misses you anyway.”

“It’s a card, it doesn’t have feelings.”

“Ben you offended him!” She said, looking at him with a hurt expression. Ben simply started laughing and she finally caved, starting to laugh with him as mosquitoes buzzed around them.

“You’re so weird.” He choked out.

“Yeah, the only one weird enough to be friends with a dork face like you. Duh!” They both started laughing again as Seattle reached back into the cooler the two kept up there, pulling out two popsicles and handing one to Ben. “These are already melting, so eat fast!”

“Sounds good to me.” He agreed. The two lapsed into a comfortable silence as they sat up there, sucking their popsicles and listening to the bugs humming around them and looking at the space needle in the distance. Finally Seattle spoke.

“Hey Ben?”

“Yeah?”

“What are you going to do when you grow up?” He paused, pressing his lips together as the city sparkled before them in the sunlight.

“I don’t know.” He admitted. “But I want to be famous, I want everyone to know who I am.” She giggled and he looked over to see her smiling. “What?”

“Nothing.” She promised, turning to him.

“Fine then, what do you want to do when you grow up?” She sighed, looking at the Columbia Tower.

“I want to help people.” She said simply. “I want to help people and make the world better.”

“How?” She shrugged.

“I have no idea.” He chuckled and she shot him a joking glare. “At least I want to do something for someone other than myself.”

“You know if I was famous I would take you with me.” He said, smiling softly. “I’d buy you a house anywhere in the world you wanted. I’d move all your stuff there and you and me would always hang out and it would just be awesome.”

“Anywhere in the world I wanted?”

“Anywhere.” He promised. She pressed her lips together, tapping her chin and thinking.

“I’d want one right here in Seattle.” She said, looking back to him. “Just a small one by the river.”

“What?” She nodded. “Anywhere in the world and you pick here?” She simply shrugged again.

“This is where you are.” He blushed as she smiled at him again and he felt like his heart was going to beat right out of his chest.

“Uh… thanks.” He said, scratching the back of his head. They fell into silence again, looking at the city before Ben spoke. “Want to go swimming?” He asked, turning to her. “It’s really hot up here.”

“Sure!” She cheered, all but leaping down the ladder to the ground. She raced off towards the river as Ben climbed down, having a hard time keeping up as she tore through the brush laughing and telling him to hurry up. He couldn’t help but smile as he pushed his legs to the limit, catching her just in time to tackle her into the river.

He popped up quickly, laughing, but when he didn’t hear Seattle laughing he froze. He treaded to keep his head above the water as he looked around for her in the water. The river had risen from the last few days of heavy rain and Ben was beginning to panic. He swam over to shore, knowing he would be able to see further down the river as he scanned the dark water for her brown hair.

His heart was hammering in his chest as she failed to reappear. His palm were sweating as he began pacing frantically, trying to see her. “Seattle?!” He hollered “SEA WHERE ARE YOU?!” Finally he saw her red sandal bob to the surface and dove in, trying to see through the murky water for his friend.

His heart stopped when he saw her shirt snagged on a branch as she thrashed around wildly, trying to get herself free. He swam over, grabbing her hands to try and calm her down. He saw the fear in her eyes as he helped pull her shirt off, freeing her from the tree as he brought her back to the surface.

He picked her up in his arms, carrying her over to the shore and tried to set her down, but she clung tightly to him. “Seattle-”

“Give me your shirt.” She said, red faced. He narrowed her eyes at her, but immediately obliged as she covered her chest, tears running down her face as she turned her back to him. She quickly slipped the material on over her head before turning, starting to run away from Ben.

“Seattle! Sea wait!” He called, running after her. But she didn’t stop or even slow down until she got to the treehouse, quickly climbing up and leaving Ben scrambling after her. “Seattle what’s-” As he finally got into the treehouse with her he stopped, his voice catching in his throat as he looked at her.

She was sitting in the corner, tears running down her face as she shook. Ben walked over to her, trying to be slow so she wouldn’t run away again. He kneeled down in front of her before slowly pulling her into his arms. “Seattle, what’s wrong?” He asked, running his hand over her soaking wet hair. She just kept whimpering, gripping him back so tightly he was having a bit of trouble breathing. “Sea, talk to me, please.”

“You saved me.” She murmured into his neck. “You saved my life.”

“Well, I’m also the one who put you in danger.” He said sheepishly, pulling away and looking at her. He sighed, wiping one of the tears off her face. “I promise I’m never going to let you get hurt again Seattle, okay?”

“Ben.” She whispered, her eyes locked on his. She then leaned over, pressing her lips quickly to his and causing him to jump back.

“What the Hell are you doing?!” He shrieked, his eyes wide as he grabbed his mouth. She just looked at him from the floor, her hair dripping onto the wooden planks as her eyes stayed wide.

“I thought…” She then pressed her lips together, standing up and walking over to the door. “I should go.” She whispered. “I’m sorry.” Ben just stood there, not knowing what to do as she quickly made her way down the ladder and back towards her house. He plopped down, not caring about how soaking wet he was as he slowly reached up again, touching his lips.

He had seen people kill a hundred times before in movies, but he had never thought it would have felt like, well, that. Her lips had been cold and tasted like the river, and the tightness he’d felt in his stomach afterwards made him so uncomfortable for reasons he didn’t understand. His hands were shaking as the fire in his stomach grew into a blaze and he knew he had to talk to Seattle.

He ran down the ladder and back towards her house, racing up to the front door he knew as well as his own and quickly knocking. He shuffled from side to side, waiting for Mrs. Mason to open the door. But he was instead greeted by Seattle’s father who was giving Ben an odd look.

He stepped outside, being sure to close the door behind him and Ben felt his blood start turning cold at the glare he was receiving. “What the Hell did you do to her?” Mr. Mason said, his voice quiet but shaking with rage.

“She fell in the river and her shirt got caught on a tree, so I pulled it off and gave her mine.” Ben said quickly. “Is she okay?”

“Is she okay?” Mr. Mason said. “IS SHE OKAY?!” My eleven year old daughter comes home crying, wearing a shirt that doesn’t belong to her when you two were alone in that fucking treehouse, what the fuck do you think I’m going to assume?!”

“Mr. Mason, I didn’t-”

“Bullshit.” He growled. “I remember being your age and wanting to get into every girls panties that I saw. I don’t want to see you anywhere near my daughter-”

“Dad.” Both men spun around to see Seattle standing in the doorway. Her eyes were puffy from crying as she looked at Ben. She had pulled on a sweatshirt and handed the wet tank top to him, smiling softly. She then walked over, bolding hugging hum and burying her face in his neck. “I’m so sorry.” She whispered. “I don’t know what happened.” He then slowly, almost hesitantly, hugged her back, gripping her small frame as her father looked on.

“It’s alright Sea.” He whispered, rubbing her back. “Everything’s alright.”

“Seattle-” Mr. Mason started, but his daughter simply raised her hand, stopping him. She turned back, taking Ben’s hand in hers.

“Dad, I fell into the river and Ben saved me. That was all that happened. I wouldn’t be here right now if he wasn’t so brave, so stop yelling at him.” Her voice was too calm for her words as she looked into her father’s eyes, giving him a small smile. “Now, how about we give Ben some dry clothes so that his mom won’t go thinking I attacked him?”

Mr. Mason simply chuckled before ruffling her hair and giving Ben a quick apology, explaining that when he was a father he’d understand. Seattle then started to lead him inside, but Ben stopped her, grabbing her hand. She turned back to see his cheeks were bright red. “What?” She asked.

Ben then leaned over, pressing his lips to her cheek and causing her entire face to flush. He then pulled away, giving her that cocky smile.

“Thanks.” And as he vanished into her house, Seattle simply stood there, heart racing, before she smiled.

“Don’t mention it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Woo!
Sorry, this was a filler chapter so it took me a while
But the next one is one I've been waiting for
and I think you guys will love it
(wink)

oxoxox
LS

Image