Still Into You

V

Image


So by this time in my story I know what you’re all thinking, did we ever get married?

Well, this is where my tale is heading now. Sorry, spoilers.

So James really did take me by surprise when he asked me. I mean, I had hoped he eventually would, but I didn't think on it too much. He was being busy with his band and I was busy with my career. I had hoped it would calm down a bit when I graduated from college with my masters degree in Psychology, but it was quite the opposite. People were flocking for me to work for them and James and the guys were busy with their release of City Of Evil.

By this time they were stuck with Johnny and he was exactly what the guys were missing. I knew the second he came sauntering in from down the street, informing them that their old bassist sucked. I mean, someone that playfully cocky had to fit in with the goofballs perfectly. And I was right, just never tell them that or I’d get hell for even assuming that.

Anyways, that’s besides the point. When it happened, the guys were just bursting with excitement. In only a week’s time they would be going on their Cities of Evil Tour. I would be joining them for the first few dates and after that I was going back to work just like they would. So you can kinda see why I didn't really expect anything. They had a lot of stuff going on, so I didn't think they’d add anything.

I was lounging in James and I’s living room, sorting through my different patients’ files and talking to my secretary to tell her how to handle each of them while I was gone. It was about this time I heard the doorbell ring. I let out a sigh, placing my reading glasses on the coffee table, on top of my litter of papers. “Denise, I’ll call you back. Someone’s at the door and it’s probably James.”

“Okay Sonya. Call back whenever you can.” I liked Denise. She was only eighteen, but she was extremely responsible. She always got the things I asked for done and she was a fan of the guys, but never asked to meet them or get autographs or etcetera, as many people I met had. When she did finally happen to meet them, she even treated them like normal people. She was definitely the best I could ask for.

We exchanged our goodbyes before I headed to the front door, which had had the bell rung again. I pulled open the door, opening my mouth to greet the person, only to be tossed over a shoulder. I let out a girly scream, pounding on the person’s back. “Put me down you dick head!”

“You know, you are pretty rude this time around. I thought you’d be used to being kidnapped,” Matt sighed as he tossed me in the backseat of a vehicle. The door was slammed shut in my face and I tried to pull open the door. I found it to be child locked. I flew across to the other side, finding the same problem. I glowered at Matt who climbed into the driver’s seat, Brian in the passenger’s.

“Did James put you up to this again?” I demanded.

“No, this time it was our idea. Just calm down woman,” Brian sighed as Matt backed out of the driveway.

Calm down? I get kidnapped from my own home and you want me to calm down?!”

“Yes, did I stutter or something?” Brian raised an eyebrow at me as he turned in his seat. “Its just us, Sonya. Have we ever given you a reason to doubt us?”

“That time you ended up in jail for trying to steal a forty. The time that you went streaking in Rome. Do I even need to remind you of the Baltimore incident?”

Brian was looking positively flustered while Matt had a shit eating grin on his face. “You set yourself up for that one, bro.”

“Shut the fuck up Sanders,” Brian grumbled angrily.

“So James had nothing behind this at all, huh?” I inquired with a large amount of disbelief dripping off my words. Matt noticed and risked a smirk in the rear view mirror.

“Now we didn't say that. He wanted us to get you, yes. He just didn't mention kidnapping you. He left the decision for us to make.”

“And you just had to chose the kidnapping, huh?”

“Sonya, you don’t know us as well as I thought if you didn't know we would instantly chose it,” Brian scoffed, rolling his eyes playfully.

“Right. I forgot, you guys never grew up,” I remarked with a smirk. Brian opened his mouth, but turned his back on me instead and sunk into his seat. Checkmate. I leaned back in my own seat, looking in the rear view mirror as I rearrange my (still dyed) red hair into a ponytail. I looked down at my short shorts and skeleton tank and shrugged. My outfit was better than most girls I have seen prancing around on Main Street.

Within minutes I was going through a very familiar process. I was being blindfolded and led down a path by a pair of hands on my shoulders. At least I was allowed to walk. I grumbled quietly, knowing where this was leading. As I suspected, I was left alone on a path in Central Park, the quietness of the area suffocating me. I ripped off the bandanna and felt my body turn cold. The biggest piece of the equation was missing.

Where was James?

I had to bite my bottom lip to stop myself from letting out a scream as arms wrapped around my waist. I struggled at first, but managed to whirl around and see James standing behind me. I smacked his stomach softly, burying my face into his chest not too long later. “You jerk.”

“Well, I couldn't keep all of it the same, could I? It would fail the purpose of a surprise,” James chuckled, swaying us left and right.

“You could have dressed up as Jack Sparrow. That would have served the same purpose without nearly causing me to have a heart attack.”

James smiled, leaning down to peck me on the lips and then forehead. “I’m sorry. But admit it, if I had done a really good Jack Sparrow costume, you might have had a heart attack anyways.”

“Possibly. Depends if you could do the hand movements right.”

“Oh believe me - ” James wrapped his arms around me a bit tighter and smirked, kissing my lips again. “I will prove I can do the hand movements perfectly.”

“Such a tease,” I forced out with a sly smile. James was not allowed to be so attractive in public. It was the public! Anyways, I know none of you really care about the flirting we shared. So soon James coaxed me into following him after a long discussion on how nothing was going to happen in The Spot. He pulled me to a stop in front of the familiar area.

The many logs and rocks had been removed since the last time I was here. And that was quite some time ago, so it didn't surprise me. Two wooden benches now took up the space instead. They were definitely not from the park, which kind of gave me the hint that the guys had added them. No one we were aware of had ever discovered this spot seeing as how Central Park was huge and this thicket was expertly hidden unless you knew where to look.

On the ground between the two benches was a very similar setup. A purple blanket (I have to believe it’s the same one) with a picnic basket was on the floor. On the benches were confetti rings reading “I love you!” and an arrange of tulips and yellow roses. Instead of pulling us to the blanket, James sat me on one end of a bench, which had stayed clear when he set up the idea. James himself sat on the ground in front of the bench, holding my hands in his own, with a smile.

“So, Miss Carruthers, do you know what today is?”

“Hmm,” I paused, thinking. “The thirtieth of September?”

“Okay smartass. What else is today?” James asked, scowling at me. I just smiled playfully. I knew exactly what he was trying to hint towards, but I just refused to let him have it.

“October eve?”

“Look here Missy - ”

I squealed, smacking his hands away from me before he could tickle my sides. “Okay, okay! You win! It’s our anniversary.”

“Exactly,” James spoke, grinning widely at me. “Our seven year anniversary.”

“Whoa.” I closed my eyes and leaned forward, burying my face into his shoulder. I knew how long our extensive relationship was, but it was still so surreal to hear out loud. “How did you put up with me for all these years?”

“Please, me? How did you put up with me? I imagine half of that time felt like babysitting or something,” James scoffed, rubbing my back subconsciously.

“We helped each other,” I spoke. I knew if I didn't cut it off we’d argue forever. It was a bad trait we each had, trying to prove the other was better. Did all couples do that? I never asked the girls or guys. I hope it’s normal.

“Agreed. So do you know why this day was so important so many years ago?” James questioned as I raised my head to look at him again. An eyebrow was quirked up as I silently sized him up. Besides the obvious? What kind of answer was he looking for exactly?

“Not exactly,” I spoke slowly. James smiled, as if knowing I wouldn't have another answer for him. He slipped onto his knees, hands still holding mine tightly.

“Seven years ago today is the day I could see you in my life, forever. It was the first day I knew I wanted to open my heart to you, more so than any best friend could. It was the first day I knew I always wanted you next to me at night. It was the first day that I decided I wanted the whole world to know I loved you, and only you. It was the first day I thought I finally found a girl that understood me. And, it was the first day I knew one day I wanted to make you Mrs. Sullivan. So Sonya - ”

I was already sobbing by this time. James hadn't even been able to remove his hands from mine by this time. I simply latched myself around his neck, sobbing pathetically into his neck. He seemed patient enough with me, though. He slipped me onto his lap, his arms wrapped around my waist as he rocked us back and forth. “I’m so s- sorry I’m ru- ruining this moment that you put so mu- much effort into.”

“Believe me, I like this more than you telling me that Johnny and you are having an affair and storming out of the clearing,” James chuckled, trying to make me giggle. He only got a grin, but he seemed happy enough. “Can I get my question out now? I promise, we can stay like this. Mostly because I’m afraid that if I move you, you’ll just break down again.”

“Oh, shut up,” I said with a smile. He returned it before reaching into his pants. Out of the pocket he pulled out a small, royal blue box. He cracked it open to reveal a silver colored band.

He gave a crooked, very James-like smile to me. “Will you marry me, Sonya Carruthers?”

My smartass remarks were long gone. I nodded violently. He slipped the ring onto the right finger before giving me a deep kiss. When we finally parted he pulled us to the blanket, my head resting on his chest. I examined the ring again. In the middle was a small diamond and tribal-like designs trailed all around the band. I hugged James to me tighter and smiled.

I was definitely the luckiest girl in the world.

Or, that’s what I thought until the twenty-sixth of May of the following year. On top of all our other priorities, James and I (along with the help of our parents and friends) had been working the past four months to get the finalization of the wedding ceremony and attendees, well, finalized. Today was the big day, today was the day I would shed my family’s surname and adopt James’s.

I was currently in my wedding dress and about to faint.

“Are you sure Aunt Florence can see the podium? I know she has bad eyesight and I wouldn't live with myself if she couldn't see it,” I fretted. And to think, it wasn't even over my real aunt. She was one of Dad’s old college buddies. It was extremely complicated and I wouldn't want to make your heads swirl on one person who really isn't that important to this story.

“Yes Sonya, Auntie can see sweat on the priest’s brow, okay?” Kelly, one of James’s sisters, chuckled.

“Not that he would need to be sweating about marrying you two,” Katie, James’s other sister, added on when she saw my face. “It’s just that if it were to happen, she could count the drops.”

“Where’s Mom and Barbara? I need them,” I whined, now just desperate to have a reason to be complaining. I felt like my heart was going to pop out of my chest. I know I sound petrified, but I was going to be the happiest girl alive. Y’know, I just had to get past seventy-five percent of the ceremony before I would be.

“It’s nearly time Sonya, they had to go to their seats,” Kelly reminded me with a patience I would have expected to have dwindled away by now. These two are just too good for me.

“Then where is - ”

“Calm down, hon,” a voice spoke. “We’re right here.”

I whipped around to see Brian and Matt strolling in with smiles on their faces. And, here’s the shocker, in full, black suits. I have only seen them in those twice in my life. It really made me fall silent for a moment before I gave a small smile back. Matt stepped around Brian to take me into a hug. “You look gorgeous, Sonya.”

“Thanks,” I spoke bashfully. Brian then gave me a hug before following Matt’s example and hugging the two bridesmaids. I headed out of the room, quickly galloping walking to the entrance foyer with the four on my tail. As soon as I stepped into the open space, I caught my father’s eyes. They instantly pooled with tears as he crossed the room in three, long strides. He gathered in me in arms and I hugged him back just as tightly.

“Oh, my baby girl. You’re all grown up,” Dad sniffled as we separated. He chuckled, wiping at his tears.

“Please, Dad. I’m far from it. I’m still gonna need a lot of help,” I retorted. He smiled, giving me a peck on the forehead. “Besides, you did your biggest part, you were always there for me. And I know you always will be.”

“You better bet your ass I will! Now c’mon - ” He locked our arms together as the four lined up in front of us. “Let’s go get you married.”

My heart was thumping a hundred miles per hour as the double doors were pushed opened by two assistants and the music drifted out. Matt and Kelly headed in first, their heads held high and smiles everywhere. Brian and Katie were soon to follow. Suddenly McKenna appeared before me in her small, white dress. She had a wide smile, one front tooth missing, and looked on top of the world.

“You ready Sonya?” She asked, bouncing on the spot. When I nodded she turned on her heels and headed into the reception hall. Everyone rose and my father and I started after her once she was a good two steps ahead. I could see everyone around me gasping and ‘aw’-ing and what not, but my eyes weren't trained on any of them.

They were trained on the man waiting for us at the end of the aisle.

James looked magnificent. He was dressed in a black suit with a white shirt and deep purple tie and vest. He looked as awed as I knew I felt about him. I could feel tears gathering and I did my best to bat them away. I was too preoccupied doing this that I hadn't noticed we stopped or that the ceremony had begun with the giving away of the bride. Suddenly my father was kissing my cheek and James was taking his spot.

“You look heavenly,” he murmured as we walked the last two steps to stand on the alter. I nodded, holding his hands tightly and looking up into the crystal blue eyes I had fallen so easily for. I smiled, hardly believing that the whole time I was ignoring the priest, I was closer to becoming a Sullivan.

And don’t give me that look. I was too caught up in emotions to care what he said. Besides, we taped it. I looked dumbfounded the whole time, but I was overly ecstatic!

When it got to the long speech that was mandatory before the ‘I do’s, James was already nodding his head. He was extremely impatient about the whole ordeal, but he kept a pretty straight face. When the priest finally reached the end, he squeezed my hands and announced, “I do.”

Now it was my turn for the longest short paragraph, ever, to be read. The whole time I was tempted to just interrupt, say my part, and kiss the hell out of James. But I held back from temptation. Once I did give my ‘I do’ and the priest gave the okay, I didn't hold back anymore. It was indescribable, that first kiss as James’s wife. But it was definitely not my last.

James had made me the happiest girl on Earth.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
Here is the wedding outfit because I suck at descriptions.

The next chapter is the final. And sorry it's taken so long. Got caught up in life. Thanks for the comments tho: fiction246, Heaven_syn_gates, xyvettex and ToBeDetermined.