Devotion

contented

Murphy's eyes fluttered open but he made no move to get up from the bed. He just lay still, with his arm draped protectively over her waist. He inhaled, relishing in her vanilla bean scent that he loved. He stiffened as the girl in his arms stirred but she didn't wake up; she only faced him and pressed her body closer to his.

Murphy had his fair share of partners over time but there was something about this girl that was so special. There was something about her that Murphy desperately wanted to protect. She was the only girl, besides his mum, that Murphy would gladly kneel for. He would even give the whole world to her on a silver platter if she wanted. She was the only one who made him feel somewhat normal.

He wanted to touch her, to only have her for himself. He wanted her to look at no other man except him. He wanted her to touch no man except him. He wanted her to be the girl he would see waiting for him at home. He wanted her so bad that it hurt. He just wanted her to be the girl he would sleep next to and wake up the next day with his arms around her - just like now.

Murphy kissed the crown of her head then whispered with fondness you would never expect to hear from him, "I love you, Sara."

She stirred and Murphy thought she would wake up but she didn't. He chuckled softly and ran his hand through her strawberry-blonde locks.

There were a number of reasons why Murphy couldn't see them together. She was his and his brother's childhood friend. The MacManus brothers saw her as their little sister. Well, Connor did - not him. But they promised each other to watch over and protect her. And Murphy couldn't just betray his brother's trust back then although now, he'd be prepared for any consequences if it meant he could hold her in his arms like this every day. Nobody had the right to tell him who to love.

"Murphy?"

His train of thought was suddenly disrupted when he heard her voice. Anyone would be distracted by her. The mere sound of her voice was even better than all angels in heaven singing. He buried his face in her hair and pulled her closer to him as if she'd be gone the next minute.

He sighed contentedly. Things like this - he wouldn't miss it for the world.