Don't Turn Around

Chapter 1

I heard my stomach growl loudly as I sat writing out notes from my Social Deviance textbook in the library. I glanced down at my watch and realized that it was 7:45pm already, where had all the time gone? I looked around and noticed that no one else was here, I was alone in this giant library and then I remembered why, it was Friday night. I sighed and pulled the black-rimmed glasses from my face and set them on top of my textbook. I had been here all afternoon and completely forgot to eat dinner. Just as I started packing up my things I heard the buzz from my phone go off and I pulled it out to see that my best friend Leah had texted me.

Girl where are you? I’m coming to pick you up we’re going out tonight!

I laughed to myself, and before I could get out a response my phone was ringing with Leah Johnson popping up on my caller I.D.

Hello?

"Sutton! I’m about to get in my car tell me where you are so I can come pick you up!"

“Leahhhhhh”, I dragged out the last syllable of her name, “I have a midterm next week and I’m nowhere close to being ready. Plus I work tomorrow afternoon”.

“I don’t care what excuses you have for me, we’re going out tonight, I haven’t seen you in a whole week you’ve been living in the library! Which is where I’m assuming you are and I’m already on my way.”

I laughed softly into the phone, “I really don—“

“No more ifs ands or buts, I’ll see you in about 6 minutes” Leah exclaimed before hanging up the phone. Man that girl sure was good at arguing.

I finished gathering the rest of my books and swung my knapsack over my shoulder, grabbing my jacket and phone off the desk. I started walking toward the front doors of the library, thinking that one night out might not be the worst idea in the world. I stepped out into the crisp fresh Baltimore air, it was almost fully dark out but the summer sun lingered on the horizon and the sky was a pale pink.

I heard a car pull up and to no surprise it was Leah’s beat up old Volkswagen Beetle. I hopped into the front seat and she beamed at me with her sparkling smile. I met Leah in our first week of at the University of Baltimore during an icebreaker activity during the frosh week. We clicked instantly and had been great friends ever since. We were now in our third year, and school was getting tougher by the semester, we were growing up and it was so scary.

“Ready to have the best night of your life?” Leah asked me as she put her foot to the gas, forcing the car to accelerate, “we’re going to your place by the way, Rachel is pissing me off and I’m not about to let her put a damper on my night”

Rachel was one of Leah’s roommates who did tend to have quite the mean streak. Her and Leah got in fights all the time over stupid things but most of the time she was a pretty cool friend to have around. I lived in the basement apartment of a family’s house though because it was the cheapest accommodation I could find. It wasn’t so bad, I had a kitchenette, my own bathroom, bedroom, and a side entrance.

“Alright alright” I said relaxing into the seat of the car. The drive was quick and eventually we arrived at my place. Leah pulled a couple bags out of her trunk that were no doubt stuffed with makeup, hair tools and as many outfits as she could manage and wobbled toward my side door.

“Give me one of those you goofball” I said, relieving her of one of the bags.

“You’re a lifesaver you are! We’re going to look hot tonight, I brought all of my makeup and some clothes I stole out of my sisters closet” she said snickering at the last part. Her sister was a model and had endless amounts of gorgeous clothing she always got for free. The pants never fit but I would never complain about the tops.

“Remember that one night that we went out last year and ended up on the rooftop of that old building with those guys” Leah laughed as we burst through the door to my room.

“Yeah, oh my goodness or that time that you got so drunk and told people you could read minds” I laughed back, falling onto my big queen sized bed.

We giggled and laid on my bed for a while, reminiscing about the days we used to have, and I began to realize just how much I’d been neglecting Leah for my schoolwork. I never had fun anymore.

“We’re going to have a blast tonight” I said, turning my head to face Leah and giving her my most sincere smile.

“Yay!” she yelped hopping off the bed to rummage through her suitcase. She started throwing clothes around the room and pulled out a cute floral top and held it up to her torso.

“So cute! Wear that tonight! Where are we going by the way?!” I asked her as she twirled around the room.

“Oh just some venue downtown, a live band is playing I think and a few of my friends said it would be fun” Leah chimed, “here!” she said tossing me a piece of dark red fabric. I unfolded it to find a small little tube dress with a scooped neckline, and fabric that seemed real firm but stretchy at the same time.

“Sutton you have to wear that tonight, its going to look a-m-a-z-i-n-g on you!”

“Are you sure? Don’t you think it’s a little short?” I asked.

“Are you kidding it will look perfect on you! Throw on some combat boots and this leather jacket and you’ll be too hot for anyone to resist!” she squealed, tossing me a small girly black little leather coat.

I went into the bathroom and pulled the dress on over myself and looked in the mirror. The fabric did amazing things, it hugged my curves in all of the right places. I pulled the leather coat on overtop and I had to admit I didn’t look half bad! Walking back into my bedroom I watched Leah as she combed out her long blonde hair.

“What do you think?” I asked,

“Oh my goodness Sutton, you babe! When was the last time you dressed up!?”

“A while ago I guess” I replied, really trying to remember.

“Well you look good! Here” she replied handing me a glass filled with an obvious alcoholic beverage.

“What is this?” I asked cautiously.

“Jagger and Coke, drink up!”

Before I knew it I was tipsy enough for both the both of us. I left my hair in its natural dark beachy waves, and Leah did my eye makeup so my blue eyes stood out. We called a cab and all of a sudden we were in the back riding to the venue giggling all the way there.

Leah handed me a ticket and we walked up to the bouncer. He glanced at our tickets and let us right in without being carded. The bar was pretty full but not so packed that you couldn’t breath. I grinned widely, I was happy to be out again.

“All Time Low is playing tonight!” Leah said excitedly above the noisy crowd.

“Wow really? I didn’t know they were still around, I remember loving that song, what was it, Dear Maria or something?”

Leah nodded her head happily in response and grabbed my arm, pulling me toward the bar.

After having a drink or two my head really started to buzz and I couldn’t be happier. We had met up with a few of Leah’s guy friends. The one named Eric seemed to have taken an interest in me but I had a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. I wasn’t ready for another guy I thought to myself, the feeling of panic weighing on my chest. All of a sudden the band came out and people started to cheer.

“Come on lets get closer!” Leah said dragging me closer to the stage where they began to set up.

“Hey we’re All Time Low! Hope everyone’s having a good night!” the lead singer called into his microphone. Everyone cheered again and finally the music began. I felt happy knowing that the music was filling my head instead of the feelings of nostalgia that had been creeping up earlier. I closed my eyes and let the sound take me away.

Lost in stereo, lost in stereo

Lost in stereo, lost in stereo

She works for the weekend

Mixtape of her favorite bands

Turning up the radio

Lost in the stereo, sound.

She's trouble in a tank top

Pretty little time bomb

Blowin' up

Take you down

Living in the radio

Lost in the stereo, sound

She's dancing alone

I'm ready to go but she's so

Lost in stereo, lost in stereo

She's outta control, so beautiful

In stereo, lost in stereo

I opened my eyes at that moment and locked eyes with the brown-eyed guitar player standing pretty much right in front of me. A smile hinted at his lips and he continued playing, his eyes never leaving mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! I hope you like this. Also I'd like to know if I should make a new banner or keep this one, any thoughts? Let me know xx