Don't Turn Around

Chapter 10

Jack fell easily back to sleep after his few sweet words but something left me feeling anxious once again. I'd just spilt some of my deepest secrets about what I'd gone through to a boy I barely knew without once considering the consequences. What on earth was I doing?

I trusted Jack, he made me feel safe but at this moment I felt pretty alone. The realization of what Leah had done was beginning to creep up on me. I needed her right now to tell me that I should feel okay again, that I deserved to be with someone as nice as Jack. But she wasn't, because in the end the people you trust hurt you and I couldn't afford to travel down that road again. Jack rolled over, and I took the opportunity to quickly get out of bed, grabbing an oversized tee shirt from the floor on the way out.

I threw my hair up in a bun and went to get glass to fill with cold water. My head was pounding from the previous nights fun, and I decided to grab some pain killers from the cabinet as well. After digging through the box for a minute, I came across an old bottle of Oxycontin's that I had no idea were still there. My heart rate picked up and images of the worst days of my life flashed before my eyes. All I could do was stare at the bottle, wide eyed. The sound of Jack swinging the bedroom door open caused me to gasp and throw the pill bottle back into the box in the cupboard and slam the door shut.

I spun around to find a sleepy looking Jack in his wrinkled clothes scratching the back of his neck as he stumbled out.

"Hey" I said nervously, my heart still racing, "Did you want breakfast or anything?"

"Nah, I'm just going to head out I hope you don't mind. My mom just texted me and she needs me over at her place." he replied, now stretching out his arms.

I just shook my head and forced a smile.

"Be safe" he said with a cute smile before planting a kiss on my forehead and slipping out my side door.

I sat down on my couch, trying to get my mind off of all of the things that were swirling around up there, pushing any thoughts of Leah out quickly before the tears could start. A loud rap on the door startled me, sending my heart racing again. I stood up and walked toward the door, unsure of who would be stopping by. I twisted the door handle to open the door and all of the air escaped my lungs when Ian came pushing through the door nearly knocking me backwards.

He caught my arm though, gripping it hard and yanking me closer to him, kicking the door shut behind him with his foot. I was paralyzed with fear, cringing from the pain now radiating from my arm.

"Before you think to scream, just know that there's no one home upstairs and no one is going to hear you" he growled, lifting his hand to grip my throat and push me hard against the wall.

I gasped, barely able to take a breath due to the firm hold he had on my wind pipe.

"You should also rethink whatever it is you're doing with that crazy haired boy band sissy, if I can't have you neither can he. I'm not afraid to make that clear to either of you, this is your first warning Sutton" he continued through gritted teeth.

"I'm calling the police" I wheezed, trying to regain some power in the confrontation, "You're going back to prison you scum bag."

He just threw back his head and laughed, "I'll happily kill you first baby" he said with some sort of evil in his eyes. "And I don't think either of us want that do we? You say a single word to anyone and I swear to god I'll kill us both"

"You wouldn't" I managed to get out.

"Wanna bet?" he replied before forcefully driving his knee right into my abdomen, managing to hit a few ribs as well. He released me from the chokehold he'd had me in and I fell into a crumbled ball on the ground, receiving a painful kick to the face before everything went completely black.

--------

Jack's POV

"Thanks sweetie" my mom said before pecking me on the cheek and handing me a bag filled with all kinds of her homemade baked things.

"No problem Mom, I'll see you soon" I said before turning away form the house to the driveway where my car was parked. I had no trouble quickly walking home from Sutton's and grabbing it this morning before heading over to my parents house to help cut the lawn. Dad's hip had been hurting him and the grass was getting out of control.

I turned the keys in the ignition and pulled out my phone to see that Rian had texted me.

How'd it go with Sutton?? ;)

I laughed, smiling to myself about the previous night. I felt different though, not like a lot of the other hookups that I'd had. I felt like I wanted to continue whatever it was that we were doing, I guess I really cared about her. I quickly responded to Rian's text and then started the drive back to my house.

I spent the rest of the day lounging around my house, watching old re-runs on TV and just being lazy. I wasn't suprised when my front door swung open and Rian and Alex walked in right in.

"Hey" I said from my spot on the couch, all to comfortable with friends arriving unannounced.

They came in and plopped down on the couch next to me and we watched a bit of TV before breaking into the video games.

"Sooooo" Alex said, his eyes still locked on the video game him and Rian were still in the middle of.

"Soooooo" I mimicked back,

"How was Sutton" Alex mocked,

I just laughed,

"How were Sutton's boooobs" he continued.

I smacked him hard with a pillow causing him to laugh too.

"Have you heard from her today?" Rian questioned, "Cas said they were supposed to go shopping but she wasn't responding to her texts."

"No I haven't" I shrugged, curious.

"Gettin' the cold shoulder already" Alex said teasingly.

"Fuck you" I replied, pulling out my phone and deciding to call her.

Alex and Rian realized what I was doing and paused the game to listen in.

"No answer" I said after a few minutes, tossing my phone on the couch beside me and wrestling the controller out of Alex's hands.

A little bit of worry began to rise in my stomach but I pushed it right back down, she was probably just sleeping off the hangover, I'd hear from her tomorrow.