Don't Turn Around

Chapter 6

"Spill!" Leah squealed from across the bed where she was sitting cross legged.

"What do you want to know?" I asked, taking a sip of my coffee.

"Uhm everything! How come you didn't tell me you were going their to party?!"

I set my coffee on her bedside table and flopped down on her bed, covering my face with the fluffy pillow of hers.

"It was last minute" I said into the pillow.

Leah grabbed the pillow out of my hands, leaning over me with an exhasperated look on her face.

"He came into my work with Rian and asked me to come when I was finished. I didn't even have time to think." I said sheepishly.

"Spill the beans Sutton did you guys do anything?"

I shook my head, "No, but we had fun! The last part of the night is fuzzy though, I don't really remember much to be honest. I just know I woke up in his bed dressed in his boxers and one of his shirts."

Leah's response was another high pitched squeak.

"He made me some breakfast and the I drove to grab coffee and now I'm here." I continued.

"I'm sorry but that whole band is extremely attractive!"

"Maybe you should date them." I joked.

"Hey I wouldn't mind. Invite me next time! I'll be your wingwoman" she responded giddily.

"Next time I promise" I vowed.

Just then my phone buzzed and I looked down to see the name Alexander the Great pop on my screen. Alex must have snuck his number into my phone when I was too drunk to pay attention last night and I laughed at his creativity.

Did you make it home okay last night? Such a blur, I don't even remember any one leaving[b/]

"Who is it?!" Leah asked, noticing the smile on my face.

"Just Alex making sure I got home last night" I said, looking over at her.

"You have two hot rockstars chasing you?! Not fair!" she replied with a fake pout.

"Neither of them are chasing me Leah, they're just being nice."

"Yeah okay then, you're a catch! You deserve to move on Sutton." she replied in a more serious tone, obviously referring to Ian.

I swallowed hard, remembering the way he'd tossed me around in the parking lot last night.

"You want to go get frozen yogurt?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"Only because you know its my weak-spot" she said, "we'll continue this conversation later!"

As we walked out to my car I typed my response to Alex,

To be honest I don't remember leaving your house either, but not to worry I made it out alive![b/]

Shoving my phone into my pocket, I unlocked the doors so Leah and I could climb into my beat up old cadillac.

"You need a new car Sutton" Leah said, rolling down her window.

"Hey! She's my baby, I've had her since I was 16!" I said, turning around to pull out of the driveway.

When I was living back with my foster parents I had worked since I was allowed to, to save up for this car. I didn't care how beat up it was it still purred like a kitten!

"So anyway this Jack character, he hasn't tried anything since that time you guys kissed awkwardly at his house?" Leah asked.

"It wasn't awkward, but no he hasn't. I don't think he actually likes me to be honest. I mean, I'm not really sure why he invited me at all."

"Are you saying that you actually don't think he likes you, or that you don't think he has any reason to like you?" Leah asked me in a more serious tone.

"Whats the difference?" I asked.

"The difference is, you have the tendancy to be so harsh on yourself that you mistake guys intentions as 'being nice' because you don't think you're good enough. Which is entirely untrue, and it makes me really sad sometimes." she replied, real sadness touching her voice.

I took my eyes off the road to look at her, "Leah! I'm fine! I think you worry about me too much. My life hasn't been rainbows and butterflies, you know that, but I think I'm doing okay! No need to be sad!"

"Its just the thing Sutton, you're one of the best people I know and it makes me sad that you can be so down on yourself. I know you are, I can tell. Maybe this Jack guy will be good for you, you need someone who isn't poisonous." she replied, grabbing my hand and giving it a squeeze.

"He showed up at my work last night" I confessed.

"He what?!"

"He waited for me to leave and approached me in the parking lot" I said, my heart racing at the thought of it.

"But he's not allowed to come near you, you shoud have called the police!" she exclaimed.

"Its fine" I replied, brushing it off. I shouldn't have told her.

"No it isn't. He fucking beat you up Sutton, you can't tell me you're okay with him coming near you."

My eyes began to sting with the tears welling up in them and I pulled the car over, leaning my head on the steering wheel.

"Love, don't cry! He're come on I'll drive." she said, getting out of the car to switch me places.

I climbed over the seat into the passengers side and pulled my legs up into my chest. Leah climbed into the drivers side and put the car ino drive, navigating back into traffic.

"Honey look, I know its hard but you got away with you're life, you're lucky. You need to call the police if he shows up again." she said endearingly.

I wiped the tears from my eyes, "I know I do. I will."

"Good. They should never have let him off on probation, he deserves to rot in prison."

"Leah!"

"Just telling it like it is!" she replied with a bit of a laugh, and I laughed too.

We pulled into the Frozen Yogurt place and stepped out of the car. Leah walked over to me and threw an arm over my shoulder, planting a quick kiss on my cheek, "FroYo's on me!"

Jack's POV[b/]

To keep myself busy I decided to head over to Alex's house, maybe I could help clean up or something. When I arrived it was about 3pm and Alex answered the door.

"You're looking chipper this afternoon" I laughed, looking around at the place. It was trashed to be honest.

"I can't bring myself to clean, I've just been watching movies all day" he replied, raising his hands to rub his temples, "Man I got so fucked up last night."

We both laughed, it was like we were back in highschool again, throwing parties while our parents were gone.

"When did everyone leave?" he asked me.

"I think around 3, Sutton was hammered too and when she looked like she'd had enough we dipped out."

"Sutton eh? Man that girls a looker, really nice too." he said.

"Yeah, she is. Come on lets get this place cleaned up" I said, grabbing a few beer bottles off of the coffee table, heading for the kitchen.

We cleaned for about an hour, and by the end we had 3 big recycling bags full of empties and plastic cups.

"What do you want to do tonight?" Alex asked me, flopping down on the couch.

I flopped down right next to him, "Drink alcohol" I said, laughing.

I wanted to take advantage of the time we had off for the next few months. We'd have some photoshoots and interviews but we weren't touring for a little while and it was prime opportunity to party hard.

"Sounds like my kind of night" Alex replied.

"Is there anything going on?" I asked.

"I'll try and find out" he replied, picking up his phone and scrolling through it.

I decided to go raid Alex's fridge for something to eat. I gathered the ingredients to make grilled cheese for both of us, a skill which I had mastered as a teenager. While I prepared the sandwiches, I couldn't help but go over last night in my head, as well as this morning.

I woke up before Sutton did at around noon. When I looked over I was surprised to see that she smiles while she sleeps, she looked so comfortable wrapped in my sheets. I was a coward the whole night before, deciding not to kiss her but in my defense I had no idea if she had any kind of feelings for me. All of these thoughts seemed crazy to me, I'd only known her for about a week but she was non-stop on my mind.

I went downstairs to put a pot of coffee on and flicked on the TV, looking through the channels to see if there was anything good on and settled for a re-run of Boy Meets World. Sutton came padding into the living room at that moment, still dressed in the pair of Hurley boxer shorts and v-neck I'd given her the night before.

"Want some coffee?" I asked, admiring how cute she looked rolling out of bed.

Without a word, she nodded and rubbed her eyes with her fists. She followed me into the kitchen where I poured us both a mug, pushing one across the counter toward her. She took the mug and started drinking her coffee black, but I grabbed some cream for myself.

"I think I blacked out a little" she said with laugh, "I don't remember coming back here at all."

I laughed, "I could tell! You were having a good night!"

"I'm so sorry was I a handful? I really didn't mean to get so drunk" she asked me, a little nervous.

"Don't even worry! The only thing you demanded was a piggy back home and I was more than happy to help you out with that."

She sputtered on her coffee and let out a laugh, " I did not! Oh my god that's so embarrassing!"

"Trust me you were no where near a handful, you were hilarious. I have met way too many girls that are terrible to be around when they drink. They get so whiney and demanding you don't know what to do. But you're the opposite, no worries." I replied with a smile, hoping she didn't feel too uneasy.

"If you say so" she said, rolling her eyes jokingly.

"You want anything to eat? I have Eggos?" I asked.

"Eggos are amazing! Please tell me you have the strawberry kind?"

"How did you know?" I asked, pulling the box from the freezer.

"You have good taste Barakat" she said laughing.

"Eggos it is!" I said, popping 4 into the toaster.

"The best way to eat them is with peanut butter and bananas" she said.

"Peanut Butter is so much better than syrup" I agreed.

We ate breakfast together laughing and carrying on like we had always seemed to do when we were together. It was like we'd known each other for so much longer than we actually did.

"I should probably head home soon, I told Leah I'd go visit her and I have loads of studying to get done." she said with a frown after we'd finished up our waffles.

"Well I'm sure I'll see you soon." I said, making it more a statement than a question.

She nodded her head and gave me a smile, then skipped up the stairs to change back into her clothes from last night. I gave her a quick hug on the way out the door, hoping that it wouldn't be long before I saw her again.[i/]

"Earth to Jack!" Alex said, waving a hand in front of my face, "What are you daydreaming about?" Alex asked jokingly,

"Oh nothing." I replied, "Lets make tonight good."

"Don't we always?"