Status: Thank you for everything! <3

Stay, Stay, Stay

One

I had long given up worrying about other people's opinions the day I walked into my new job. So much of my life had already been wasted trying to please everyone. While my vow to live for myself was still new, it seemed to be working out in my favour. I'd quit my job working for a private fitness centre after one too many ignorant comments from my boss and that same day applied for one of the most coveted jobs in the city, a spot on the medical team for the Pittsburgh Penguins. I did't think I had any chance of getting it, I was only a few years removed from school, had no experience in hockey and was female. But apparently I was wrong. The man in charge of hiring me told me the club was looking for a female who could hold own in a group of loud hockey players. Having grown up with three older brothers I was definitely comfortable around groups of young men.

My first day as a member of the Penguins Hockey Club I woke up before my alarm, anxious for what the day would bring. Part of me was expecting to arrive only to find it was all a hoax. I tried to stay in the shower longer than usual in hopes of calming myself down, but I was too worried about what I would wear to enjoy the hot water on my skin. I got out of the shower and continued my morning routine, I wrapped my hair in a towel, dried my body off with another one and began moisturizing my heavily inked skin. I’d gotten my first tattoo the day I turned eighteen and since then had developed quite a collection of colourful and unique pieces that covered both of my arms, part of my chest and shoulders and were creeping down to my thighs. They were the main reason I didn’t work in a hospital or community care facility, the public seemed to have some strange idea that my tattoos affected my ability to treat and care for them. When I’d made sure every part of my body was slathered in vanilla scented lotion I made my way to my closet. The head of the medical team had told me to wear whatever I was comfortable in on days when we didn’t have a game. I sifted through my collection of cotton day dresses and decided I didn’t want to look like I was trying to hard, instead I opted for high waisted black skinny jeans, a red and white stripped t-shirt and a black cardigan, I wanted to have something to cover my arms so I could slowly ease the people around me into my tattoos, history had suggested that people tended to be more accepting if they didn’t see all of them right away. It wasn’t that I cared what they thought, but I did care about my job. My long black hair pulled into a high ponytail, my bangs laying straight across my forehead and my make up carefully applied I was ready to go. The nerves had yet to subside and I reckoned that they wouldn’t any time in the near future.

When I arrived at the rink I was immediately introduced to Coach Dan Bylsma. He seemed like a kind man and offered to give me a tour of the facility. He took me through the offices pointing out the important ones I’d need to remember and introduced me to a number of trainers and business people involved with the organization. When we got to the main gym area it was empty, Dan explained that there was mandatory skate that afternoon, so most of the boys wouldn’t be in until that afternoon. The gym was beautiful, it had an assortment of different equipment that looked brand new, along with televisions mounted on almost ever wall and mirrors from floor to ceiling. Through the gym we made our way to the dressing room. It looked like most of the arena dressing rooms i’d been in, with stalls and benches along the walls and team colours everywhere. As Dan was telling me a little bit more about the team a tall man with dark hair walked in dressed in gym clothes. I instantly knew who he was, but didn’t let on that I was slightly starstruck.

“Perfect timing.” Dan exclaimed, motioning for the man to join us. “Beatrice, I’d like to you meet our captain Sidney Crosby. Sid, this is Beatrice Keller, she’s joining the medical team.”
“It’s nice to meet you.” The man held out his hand. “Welcome to the team.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is my first time in the fan fiction world. Let me know what you think :)