Sequel: If It Ain't Broke

Don't Wave No Goodbye

i don't know what the plan is

In retrospect, this was, as many things often are, all the fault of one Nicholas Grimshaw. The same Nicholas Grimshaw who swung his arm around Darcy Lewis on the first day of meeting her and proclaimed that she was going to be his new best friend, making it sound an awful lot like she didn’t have a say in the matter. Being the new girl with absolutely zero friends in the city of London, Darcy wasn’t about to turn him down however. She needed as much support as she could get and considering she’d have to work with Nick over the next however many months she’d be filling in for Fearne Cotton during her maternity leave, it seemed logical to get to know her co-workers.

What she didn’t realise was that hanging out with Nick equaled hanging out with every moderately known celebrity in London, as well as a handful of crazy yet undeniably cool hipster friends that Nick never seemed short of. It felt like everyone in the south of the country was friends with Nick and he was happy to keep Darcy on his arm, showing her off like a new fashion accessory. Which was not to say that Nick was only interested in her due to being new on the scene, because that was far from the truth. In all reality, Darcy had loved getting to know the Breakfast Show host and all his impossibly stylish friends because over the few weeks between moving to London and starting on the show, she didn’t have much else to do other than look through furniture catalogues and call her mother to assure her she’d settled in alright.

Although it seemed rather impossible, within those few weeks, Darcy felt like she’d made quite a good friend in Nick Grimshaw, liking his obnoxious tongue-in-cheek attitude and the way he just didn’t care what anyone else thought of him. It was easy to be put off the idea of friendship with him, especially as Darcy went through a few hours of complete panic over the fact that she didn’t seem cool enough to be able to hang out with his interesting friends, and the fact that there didn’t really seem to be a spot open for a new friend as Nick Grimshaw’s contacts went on for days. Darcy had a sneaking suspicion that there was every possibility that Nick couldn’t remember all the friends he actually had, having far too many to remember all off the top of his head.

A week before Darcy was due to take over for Fearne at Radio One during the ten to twelve spot, she tried her best to ignore all of Nick’s texts inviting her to various outings and instead, focused on trying to turn her flat into some sort of livable space. That meant venturing out to various furniture shops and comparing two samples of paint that looked identical while some know-it-all pointed out the features of each. It was strenuous and completely boring, but it made Darcy feel like she could be a fully functioning adult now that she was twenty-five with a solid job and a flat, and it made her forget that her so-called friendship with Nick was most likely out of kindness and not because he really wanted to befriend her.

That was, until eight thirty on the night before her big radio debut, the very same Nick Grimshaw showed up on her doorstep with that cheeky grin, letting himself in and easily making his way into the living room like he’d lived there all his life.

“Got a bit worried when you didn’t respond, thought I’d scared you off with my friendship,” he explained with a wry smile, kicking off his shoes and stretching along the newly bought couch, looking around lazily. “Ooh, you’ve furnished. Next time bring me along, I really have an eye for that sort of thing. It’s my next career once I’m done with radio, you know!”

And just like that, it became obvious that Nick Grimshaw had made a home from himself in Darcy Lewis’ life and was there to stay.
♠ ♠ ♠
slow beginnings!
i wrote this story during my christmas break and didn't know what to do with it, so i guess, this is it!
thank you for reading.
(i would do anything for you // foster the people)