Sequel: If It Ain't Broke

Don't Wave No Goodbye

let this be our little secret

It doesn’t take long for Harry to find out about the mess that is Louis and Nick, and when Darcy asks about it, she’s surprised by his reaction. She may not have been expecting theatrics and yelling and declared silent treatment because Harry was far too placid for that nonsense, but she at least expected him to be wary of what his friends were up to, concerned they were being complete idiots. Instead, he laughs.

“About bloody time!” he tells her gleefully, looking thrilled. “I’ve been trying to get those two to realise how alike they are for so long. I mean, I was angling more for them to be friends but hey, this works too. In fact, I think it could work even better.”

Darcy stares at him, mystified. “And you’re totally okay with the fact that two of your best friends are messing around together? Aren’t you worried they may kill each other? Or worse, actually fall in love with one another?”

Harry gives a little shrug, still grinning. “Not if it means I’m right. Who knows, it could be good for them!”

“Hmm, they’d be one hell of a power couple. But do you really think they’ll get there, and if they do, will they figure it out?” Darcy questions, knowing how stubborn Nick is with the idea of love and figures Louis’ gotta be much the same. Even if they did fall ass over face in love with each other, it could take a lot more than that for them to realise.

“Yes actually, I do. I’ve gotta feeling. I’ll just have to save the ‘I told you so’s for the wedding.”

Darcy gives Harry a look, trying to hide a smile. “Why are you so happy about this, it’s almost frightening.”

“Because being in love would do both of them a world of good. And if they find it in each other, which now that I think about it, is entirely possible, then that’s even better. You’ll see Darce, I’ve got a knack for these things!”

Darcy makes a face of disbelief but doesn’t say anything more, figuring Harry has known the two of them far longer than she has so he can make that call and besides, having two people who blindly hate each other fall in love? Now that would be something.

And so things go as the days pass by quickly into December, with Christmas decorations becoming more and more common, and Harry ending up in between Darcy’s sheets becoming a regular thing. It’s not really spoken about until it happens but it’s becoming normal, something almost expected. Sometimes he’d just show up on her doorstep, looking so debauched and lustful that Darcy forgets all her other plans and pulls him inside, and other times he’d text her asking what she’s up to and she always replies that it’s nothing she can’t heartlessly abandon.

It just becomes a thing, something accepted. Darcy’s friends know but do not comment, Nick teases but doesn’t make a big deal out of it, and most of all, it’s just fun and flirty and something that's ultimately a game between the two of them.

“Tell me something about you,” Darcy whispers one day, the two of them still in that come down haze. Darcy’s sprawled out over Harry’s chest and Harry’s wrapped around her, drawing patterns on her skin with his fingers.

“What would you like to know?” Harry murmurs, smiling down at her lazily, his hands warm on her body.

“Dunno. Something a bunch of attuned fan girls can’t tell me,” Darcy smirks, liking that slow rumble of laughter that builds in Harry’s chest, sounding rough but inviting.

“Don’t really know what to say,” he answers finally with a little shrug. “I’m an open book.”

Darcy huffs a laugh at this. “Please, that’s such rubbish. Come on popstar, you’ve been in my bed a few times now and I still feel like I don’t know a thing about you. Feels a bit strange.”

“Isn’t that how it’s meant to be, you know, all no strings attached?” Harry asks innocently and Darcy shoves him without any real force.

“Well, rules were made to be broken. Besides, we’re in the same friend circle, it’s not exactly unheard of that we’d know things about each other,” Darcy tells him, kissing his shoulder gently. “Humour me, then.”

Harry pushes Darcy’s hair back off her face, looking down at her carefully. “Okay then. Erm. I’m terrified of what happens once One Direction is over. I don’t have a plan and I know it’s not going to last forever.”

“You’re smart and charming, I’m sure you’ll work something out,” Darcy tells him honestly. “I don’t think anybody around you is going to let you fade away.”

“I hope so,” Harry mumbles but he looks grateful. “I’d hate to be on one of those ‘Where Are They Now?’ programs.”

“Hmm yes, they might drag me onto the show and I’d have to admit I’ve shagged you,” Darcy teases, letting out a surprised shriek when Harry digs his fingertips into her sides. “Stop that!”

“You act like you wouldn’t be gloating about it,” Harry jokes, now rubbing her sides softly with the palms of his hands.

“I’d never be able to show my face in public again,” Darcy says solemnly, enjoying the way Harry smirks down at her.

“Alright, alright, my bruised ego aside. It’s your turn. Tell me something, anything,” Harry prompts.

Darcy’s quiet for a moment, thoughtful. “I really hate the colour orange,” she decides and Harry lets out a startled laugh.

“Wait, hang on a minute! I give you something soul-searchingly deep, and you reply with a colour you don’t like? I feel a bit like I’ve been taken advantage of here,” Harry whines but he’s still smiling.

“Not my fault you’re such an easy sap,” Darcy says lightly, kissing up his chest distractedly before bringing their lips together.

It’s so easy being with Harry and maybe that’s why she finds herself being drawn back to him, over and over. He’s so unassuming and lovely, so eager to please, and he’s happy just to do whatever you’ve got in mind. He’s the type of boy who’d happily fuck you into the mattress if you asked for it, or lie with you all day tangled up in sheets, listening to your favourite records if you’d prefer. He never asks what they are to each other, and Darcy appreciates this. He never questions her motives or expects her to remember things about him and it’s just easy to be together. Darcy realises that it’s essentially some of the best parts of a relationship without the messy connections and possessive feelings.

When they fall apart from the kiss, Harry grabs her hand and squeezes it gently. The closeness feels nice and Darcy finds herself wanting to return the sentiment, something she’s not exactly used to.

“I’ve never been in love,” she whispers into his skin, a secret for only him to know. “I’m not, like, sad about it or anything. It’s probably my own doing more than anything but there it is.”

Harry holds her a little tighter but doesn’t pity her which is refreshing. “Do you want to be? In love, I mean?”

Darcy considers this for a moment then shakes her head. “God no. Too much hassle, too many… feelings. I’m not built for it, I think. Still, sometimes it does get me now and then that I’m twenty-five and I still find it terribly uncomfortable to tell my mother I love her.”

“Some people are just like that, though. It’s how you are. Nothing to be, y’know, ashamed of or whatever,” Harry tells her quietly. “And my favourite colour is orange, you horrid wench.”

Just like that, the sombre mood is broken and Darcy’s laughing so hard that her body shakes in Harry’s arms and he grins, amused by her reaction.

“But why? It’s just so horrible!” Darcy says through tears of laughter and Harry pouts.

“I find your colour prejudice very distasteful right now,” Harry continues, and this keeps Darcy laughing for minutes until she finally stops and just looks at Harry, feeling almost lucky to be able to see him like this, calm and relaxed in between her sheets like he’s got nowhere else to be.

“You really are a strange one, Mr. Styles,” Darcy tells him fondly and he grins.

“You like it,” he replies, peering down at her lazily.

“Wrong. I tolerate it.”

Harry lets her have the last word because he’s just that kind of guy. When it comes time to redress and say goodbye for a while since Harry’s off to Poland in the morning, Darcy walks Harry to the door and just when he turns back to speak again, she grabs him by his coat collar and kisses him roughly in a way that makes him want to pick her up and return to the bedroom they’ve only just left.

“Don’t fuck any girls I wouldn’t approve of while you’re gone, yeah?” Darcy whispers against his lips, grinning madly and this time it’s her turn to kiss him quickly on the corner of his mouth before pushing him out the door and leaving him standing there in dazed confusion.
♠ ♠ ♠
this chapter feels a bit out of sorts but i can't figure out why. hmm.
and i really should be studying because i have a hell of a week coming up uni-wise, ughhh.
you are all so lovely to me, comment-wise, reading-wise, subscribing-wise, etc. thank you so much, i really appreciate it!
(little secrets // passion pit)