Sequel: If It Ain't Broke

Don't Wave No Goodbye

love is cursed by monogamy

As the silly season drags on, everyone at Radio One gets undeniably sillier. Finchy and Nick get caught under the abundance of mistletoe hanging around the studio, courtesy of one Greg James, and their kiss circulates around internet long enough for Finchy’s mother to ring up in concern. LMC has taken to photo shopping Santa hats and reindeer antlers onto normal pictures to suit the festive season, and Ian and Fiona decorated the entire studio with tinsel and fairy lights, even going the extra mile to spray a pine scented air freshener around until it leaves Nick sneezing for half of his show.

It was Producer Claire’s idea to let the Radio One DJ’s decorate the giant Christmas tree in the lobby how they wished, and she immediately regrets the decision when she sees that the entire tree is decorated with popstars and celebrities, a large picture of Beyonce adorning the top and really, she shouldn’t have been surprised at all.

The Radio One Christmas party is just around the corner, and everyone’s rather excited because Radio One goes all out every year and it’s the one time that DJs, producers, celebrities, and even the poor coffee intern, can all mix and mingle without there being any real agenda.

There’s a new bloke on the scene, much to Darcy’s delight, and he’s absolutely delicious in her eyes. His name’s Nate Deleon, he’s got great arms, hilarious beyond all means, and he’s the new fill-in DJ at Radio One. Over the Christmas holidays, all the big radio DJs stagger their leave so there’s actually somebody still keeping the nation occupied over the festive season and Nate’s in the midst’s of learning the ropes so that when the time comes, he can fill in as needed.

He’s completely gorgeous in that sort of chisel, Diesel catalogue model way but he’s not in your face about it which Darcy really likes. At first she just appreciates him from afar, admiring his arms and gossiping with Fiona about how he’s got that Greek God look going for him but then one night she ends up working late on a Live Lounge segment to find Nate’s hanging around, watching her record with a small smile on his face.

“Any particular reason you’re still around then?” Darcy asks with a little smirk, and Nate tries to look embarrassed, bring his hand up to scratch at his neck nervously.

“Just wanted to see how the professionals do it,” he tells her, smiling pleasantly and Darcy’s trying to ignore Claire’s indignant throat clearing in the background.

“Huh, flattery! Good answer,” Darcy responds playfully, making a show of grabbing up her things. “Now, don’t you have a girlfriend or someone to get home to? It’s pretty late.”

Nate shakes his head, eyes flickering mischievously. “Nope, I’m a free bird. I was actually thinking about going to get a coffee or something, if you’d like to join me? I’m new, you have to pity me!”

“So cheeky! But alright, I guess I can take time out of my busy schedule to do a bit of charity,” Darcy teases, turning back to wave at Claire before letting Nate lead her out to the backdoor.

“You’re a saint,” he tells her, tone playful. “A real mother Theresa.”

Darcy throws her head back with laughter, her action making Nate’s smile wider. “And don’t you forget it!”

Nate takes her a small little coffee shop that’s open 24/7, and tells her she can order anything off the menu with that playful grin that she’s starting to really like. She orders the most expensive thing just to get a kick out of it, and the two take a seat at an outside table despite the cold so they can people watch. For half a minute, there’s silence between them and Darcy wonders if maybe this whole thing is going to be awkward as all hell when he starts telling her all about his hilarious trip backpacking around Europe and why he eventually decided to get a real job, ending him here in Radio One. That’s all it takes for the two of them to fall into conversation and they talk about everything, from her job to his family to her favourite bands to his favourite movies. He’s interesting and easy on the eye and so real and straight forward that she knows he’s not going to bullshit her around.

Ever since she started letting Harry into her bed, she hadn’t really looked elsewhere up until now and she knows immediately when he reaches across the table to nudge her hand with his that he wants her, and she laps up that attention greedily.

They’ve been talking so long that the sky’s adopted that very early morning blue and the staff have changed twice, putting out the breakfast menus already when Darcy makes a decision and leans across the table with a secret smile.

“So Nate,” she asks him conversationally. “How do you feel about casual sex?”

He looks stunned for a moment before he’s grinning back, all too eager. “I say hell yeah. Lead the way.”

*

“Well, well, well, what do we have here?”

It’s far too early (or late, she didn’t know) to have to wake up to Nick’s grating voice, and so Darcy groans loudly before rolling over and shoving her head under her pillow to keep him out. Undeterred, Nick pulls the pillow away with ease before grabbing at Darcy’s leg that’s hanging off the bed with his cold hands, causing her to shriek and struggle into a sitting position.

“What the hell do you want, Nicholas?”

He’s smirking at her, but it doesn’t quite meet his eyes. “Did we have a good night last night?”

Darcy looks confused for a moment before she remembers Nate and then smiles, because she did. “Very good, thank you. Although I’m confused as to what you’re doing in my room at this god forsaken time?”

“It’s four o’clock on a Sunday afternoon, a time that most normal people would be awake and functioning,” Nick replies easily, moving to stretch himself out on the other side of Darcy’s bed. “Does young Harold know you’re seeing other people?”

“What does Harry have to do in all of this?” Darcy grumbles, running a hand through her knotted hair with a grimace. “And how do you even know I’m seeing other people?”

Nick peels a sticky-note off her bed head, reading it out loudly. “Darcy, thanks for last night. Was awesome. Hope to see you again. Winky face. Nate.”

Darcy reaches out to snatch the note out of Nick’s hand and shoves it into the drawer of her dresser, looking up at Nick and just daring him to say anything. He just gives her that smug little look.

“You’re shagging the fill-in DJs now? You saucy little trollop!”

Rolling her eyes, Darcy flips him off. “Doesn’t say anywhere that I can’t. Unless… he is over eighteen right?”

“With that stubble and ripped physique? Yes,” Nick tells her dryly and Darcy relaxes. “I take it this is something that’s going to happen again?”

Darcy stretches lazily, smiling a little at how her body ached in all the right ways. “With luck, yes. He’s very… adventurous. Did you know he backpacked all around Europe?”

“Hmm yes, he’s a god amongst men and what not,” Nick answers distractedly. “Are you sure Harry would be alright with all this?”

“What the hell does Harry have to do with any of this?” Darcy asks exasperatedly. “I’m sorry to distort any illusions you may have of the two of us getting together but we’re just friends who sleep together, that’s it. He’s free to shag the whole nation if he so wishes and I can do the same. Plus, have you seen Nate? He’s gorgeous, would be a waste really.”

Nick purses his lips thoughtfully. “Mmm. Okay. Whatever you say the, darling. You going to get out of bed then or what, you lazy tart? We’re meeting up with Aimee and the lot of them in an hour, before we drop her off at the airport.”

“Oh right!” Darcy gasps, throwing back the covers and heading towards the bathroom. “I’ll be fifteen minutes, make some tea!”

Nick just huffs a laugh, rolling off the bed to do just that.
♠ ♠ ♠
couldn't help myself, i had to update once more before this day is through!
careful grimmy, your 'team harry' is showing. aaand now i'm gonna hide.
thank you, as always, for reading and investing your time into this story! i love you aaaall!
(no church in the wild // jay-z & kanye west ft. frank ocean)