Sequel: If It Ain't Broke

Don't Wave No Goodbye

lost in the thrill of it all

After getting through two hours of radio and not completely embarrassing herself, Darcy makes her way up to the offices to meet up with her producer Claire to talk about the following day’s show. LMC is still hanging around from the Breakfast Show and congratulates her on her first show, promising to see her later on at the drinks, reminding Darcy that yes, that’s a thing that’s happening.

She’s not sure why she’s so apprehensive about it really, it’s drinks with Nick and the Breakfast Crew, who she’s gotten to know pretty well over the last few weeks especially after shadowing Fearne for a few shows to make sure she knew what the hell she was doing when it came time for her to properly take over. But then again, she’s always nervous when it comes to Nick because it’s Nick. He spends half his life finding enjoyment out of making others uncomfortable and Darcy’s still waiting for the day where he’d tell her he’s not actually all the interested in being her friend, he’s got a bunch of cool, hipster, and/or celebrity friends to hang out with so thanks for playing, and goodbye.

Around five, she gets a text from Nick with the pub address and a friendly warning that she’d better show up and figures she should really start getting ready rather than having a little snooze on the sofa. She can’t remember if Nick had told her to wear something nice or if it’s just a casual thing and after a minute of contemplation over whether to text and ask, she decides just to go for a nice mix of the two, figuring at the very worst she could just look a little overdressed.

Darcy leaves the house earlier than expected in a little black dress paired with a nice leather jacket, leaving her hair down and curled with the minimal amount of makeup she can get away with. At quarter to six, she finds herself at the pub only to realise everyone’s already there and Nick fights his way out to throw his arms around Darcy in a giant hug, partnered with a wet kiss to her cheek.

“You were amazing, babe! Even got a text from Cotton herself saying she’s proud!” Nick exclaims, looking extremely proud and almost preening. It makes Darcy laugh how he still manages to make this about himself, but that’s just another one of his charming qualities.

“I’m just thankful I got through it without puking, to be honest,” Darcy replies, accepting the drink Nick immediately shoves into her hand before linking arms and leading her back to the table.

“Come, come, I’ve got people to introduce you to!” Nick’s already tugging her along before she can interject and ask who exactly she’s about to meet. He can’t seriously have even more cool hipster friends, can he? They seem to be endless.

“Darcy, hey!” Finchy greets happily, raising his glass to her with a grin which catches LMC and Fiona’s attention and they do the same.

“Hi guys, you alright?” Darcy questions, smiling gratefully when Fiona shuffles over enough to make room for her in the booth they’re sitting in.

Before she can take her seat however, Greg James is suddenly there and scooping her up in a hug. “Hello gorgeous, you were brilliant today! You already sound like you’ve been a regular for years!” he comments, releasing her and clinking his glass against hers.

“Thanks mate!” Darcy grins, she really likes Greg. He was funny and silly, a lot like a younger Nick Grimshaw but without the daunting celebrity status.

Greg pulls another seat around to sit beside Darcy as she settles in besides Fiona before looking up to Grimmy, remembering there had been people he wanted her to meet. He notices her looking and gives a little shake of his head, shrugging it off with a grin which causes Darcy to become confused but she’s immediately sucked into a conversation with Greg and Fiona over the much talked about Bieber parody video.

“Greg, yours just got a little weird half way through, I’m not going to lie. Suddenly felt like I was prying into an intimate moment,” Darcy explains with laugh, pinching Greg’s cheeks to get him to stop pouting over the fact she liked Nick’s video better.

“She has a point! After watching that, all I could think was that must be what every shower you ever have is like,” Fiona adds with a shudder, taking a large swig of her drink in an attempt to forget that image.

“You just don’t understand my artistic vision, that’s all!” Greg moans, before motioning to the bartender to bring them all another round.

“Right, yeah, that’s it,” Darcy answers sarcastically, before catching Nick’s eye and his gesturing moment. “Erm, excuse me for a minute, yeah?”

Greg shuffles out of the way and ends up taking Darcy’s spot next to Fiona to continue arguing over the Bieber videos while Darcy makes her way over to join Nick at the bar. He bumps his shoulder against hers with a little grin. “Enjoying yourself then?”

“Yeah, this has been great! Thanks, Grim,” Darcy answers sincerely. It was just too easy to get along with the Radio One crew, with them all being such unique and interesting people, and she wasn’t sure why she’d been so worried in the first place.

“Glad to hear it. Anyway, I had someone I want you to meet. They’re always fashionably late, but that’s what you get with international popstars, no damn respect,” Nick fake grumbles, a sudden ‘hey!’ coming from behind him causing him to grin.

“My favourite popstar, hey!” Nick greets, turning around to pull the lanky kid into a hug. “You alright, mate? You’re looking a bit rough.”

“Yeah, long day in the studio. It’s alright though. Hope you didn’t mind, but I brought Lou,” the boy responds and Darcy realises almost a beat later that it’s Harry Styles of One Direction.

“Stick-up-his-arse Tomlinson? Oh yeah, total life of the party, he is,” Nick mutters, getting a sharp stab in the ribs from Harry.

“Don’t be like that,” Harry scolds with a grin, obviously not at all phased by Nick’s apparent dislike for Harry’s band member.

“Don’t be like what? It’s him who’s the whiny little brat,” Nick huffs, very put off by the turn of the conversation and it’s strange to see Nick like this, usually he likes everyone or at the very least pretends to.

“I thought being a whiny little brat was your job?” Darcy pipes up suddenly, unable to let this perfect opportunity pass and Nick looks at her for a moment, an expression of betrayal on his face that quickly turns into a grin.

“You little cheek,” he reprimands, reaching out to pull her under his arm and turning back to Harry. “This, my dear popstar, is the newest member of the Radio One family, Darcy Lewis.”

“Harry Styles,” Harry greets, a large smile on his face as he reaches out to take Darcy’s hand. “You’re taking over Fearne Cotton’s show for a bit, right?”

“Yeah, that’s me. Nice to meet you, Harry,” Darcy responds, shaking his hand and feeling a little warm and dizzy, side effects from the booze and being tucked so tightly against Nick’s winter sweater.

“You want a drink, mate? Radio One’s picking up the bar tab, so you go for it,” Nick tells Harry before muttering under his breath when Louis Tomlinson makes his way onto the scene. “Oh princess, didn’t think we’d see you here. Thought you’d have flowers to press or stamps to collect.”

“Give it a rest, would you, Grimshaw? That’s weak, even for you,” Louis answers immediately, only a twitch of the corner of his lip giving away the smirk he’d tried to hide.

As Nick readies himself for another insult, Darcy swoops in to break it up. “Hi, I’m Darcy Lewis. I’m taking over the Live Lounge for Fearne. It’s nice to meet you.”

“Oh, hi! I’m Louis. Wow, filling in for Fearne, must be a bit daunting!” Just like that, Louis’ gone from being snarky as anything to a complete charmer and Darcy can feel Nick seething beside her. The next few minutes pass with Louis, Harry, and Darcy chatting about what it’s like being on Radio One and whether she’s enjoying it or not, while Nick looks like he’d rather be anywhere but there.

It’s only when Finchy calls out a greeting to Harry that both he and Louis make their way around to the back of the pub to greet everyone else, leaving Darcy and a sulking Nick at the bar.

“So you going to tell me what all that was about then?” Darcy asks with a laugh, making eye contact with the barmen and tapping her fingers on the counter to signal for more drinks. Nick gives out a loud huff.

“Rather not.”

“Oh come on, you two were practically all but tearing each other apart. There was mad unresolved tension there!”

“He’s just an insufferable little twat, is what he is. Harry’s only major downfall, really, being grouped with that tosser. Shame, the rest of the lads are lovely,” Nick gripes, throwing back his drink in one swallow.

“He’s really that bad? He seemed nice enough to me!”

“That’s because you’re young, pretty, and not trying to steal his best friend/possibly lover away from him. Apparently.”

“Oh, this runs deep then, does it? Keep going, I want all the details,” Darcy begs, and Nick’s about to responds when the last few guests manage to show up.

“Grimmy, Darcy, darlings! You were both fabulous this morning! Well, I assume you were Nick, I only sort of surfaced about the time Darcy’s lovely voice came on my radio,” Pixie yells, making her away over to bring both Nick and Darcy into a hug, kissing their cheeks loudly. “Really though, Darce, stunning start to your Radio One career. Just brilliant!”

“I agree, you sound like you’ve been on that station forever. No disrespect for the Fearnester, but you’re an adequate replacement!” Henry continues, sending Darcy a wink as she laughs at this.

“Thanks! …I think?”

“Charming, you lot are. Best friends forever, apparently,” Nick deadpans. “And where’s Aimee at, then?” Nick begins to look around for his loudmouthed, American friend. As if she heard, the red haired popped up beside Henry wearing a rather bright outfit.

“Sorry babes, I didn’t hear either of you but I’m sure you were alright, yeah?” Aimee greets, flicking her hair back with a wry grin. Upon meeting Aimee, Darcy immediately envied how the woman could manage to be so apathetic about everything and make it look so damn cool.

“That’s a strong look for you, Aimee, I’m proud,” Nick responds, sending a little wink while Aimee curtsies.

“Right, drinkies then?” Pixie asks, as Henry and Aimee give little cheers, yelling their orders before heading off to the back of the pub. Seeing them leave, Pixie turns back to Darcy and Nick with a grin. “So what were you two gossiping about, then?”

Before Nick could distract either of them, Darcy’s already answering. “Nick’s apparent hatred for one Mr. Louis Tomlinson.”

Pixie’s eyes light up immediately, and she looks absolutely thrilled. “Oh, my favourite topic! Is he here then? I find him just darling.”

“You would,” Nick huffs, curling his fingers around his empty glass hopelessly.

“Is this a thing, then? The Tomlinson/ Grimshaw feud?” Darcy inquires as Pixie throws her head back in a laugh.

“It’s practically infamous. The two of them fight like children over Harry’s attention, it’s adorable.”

“We do not fight over Harry, thank you very much! I just need to remind him what a self righteous pillock he can be, and he doesn’t seem to take the news well,” Nick pipes up, sending both Darcy and Pixie matching glares when they begin to laugh over his choice of wording.

“Pillock? Oh Grimshaw, you really are precious. Come on then, Louis aside, this is my celebration so come, celebrate with me!” Darcy begs, tugging on Nick’s hand and he gives a little sigh before slapping on his charming smile. “That’s the spirit!”

“Fake it ‘til you make it, babe,” Pixie reminds him with a sly look and the three of them make their way back to the group.

Darcy spends the remainder of her night wedged between Harry and Nick, and it amazes her just how down to earth the kid could be despite being in the biggest boy band in the world. He spends most of his time asking about her rather than talking about himself, an interesting trait in a boy like him, but Darcy likes it. Darcy tries not to become comfortable chatting with international celebrities in a small pub, knowing this is Nick’s life and she’s just stepping into it for a while.

When the night comes to an end, Harry tells her again how nice it is to meet her and then they both have to break up the soon-to-be bitch fight between Louis and Nick before they get banned from that particular pub for good and draw attention to themselves. Nick drives Darcy home despite how close she lives and promises to see her in the morning, leaving Darcy feeling very unlike herself but enjoying it nonetheless. She just wishes she could forget the way it felt to be in Harry’s line of sight, the way it felt so nice to be under his gaze and in his attention. It’s silly really, she’s far too old to feel infatuated by an eighteen year old popstar but then she remembers how obsessed Nick is and she feels marginally better.

Crawling into bed, Darcy grabs her phone to send one last text to Nick. ‘think i’m getting one direction infection. help? x’

She’s just about to drift off when Nick replies. ‘hppns to the best of us, luv. nite nite x’.
♠ ♠ ♠
ain't nobody fresher than grimmy's clique! and grimmy's back from his american holiday, woohoo! i'm so happy to hear his lovely voice again, sigh.
and for anyone interested, here are the bieber parody videos: grimmy's / greg's
thank you, wonderful wonderful people, for reading, subscribing, and commenting! you're lovely!
(lost // frank ocean)