Sequel: If It Ain't Broke

Don't Wave No Goodbye

if we’ve got nothing, we’ve got us

“I can’t believe this!” Greg calls out dramatically, a hand coming up to cover his face. “The festive season comes and goes, giving the two most non-committal people I know both loving and committed relationships and yet I’m still single! This must be some sort of joke or an act of a merciless god!”

Both Darcy and Nick laugh, subconsciously moving closer to their respective partners with Louis pressing a kiss to Nick’s ear and Harry pulling Darcy close enough to him that she’s practically sitting on his lap. Christmas had been and gone, and Darcy realises that it may have just been the best Christmas she’s ever experienced.

She’d spent her days at Holmes Chapel, playing outside in the snow with Harry and lazing about in front of the fire with hot chocolate while getting to know Harry’s loved ones. She instantly clicked with Gemma, which wasn’t all that surprising considering Harry’s sister was just a female version of him, and the two enjoyed their time together, making fun of Harry and the celebrity world.

Darcy had rung Nick on Christmas Day to inform him that everything had gone better than she’d expected and she’d had to hold the phone away from her ear as Nick had let out a holler of excitement at that. Louis’ response had been slightly more smug when Harry had called him to wish him Merry Christmas, with Louis thanking Darcy for making the right decision because he hadn’t got Harry anything for Christmas and had been counting on her to be his gift.

Now that Christmas was over, everyone was back in London and winding down from the festive season. It had been decided that they’d all meet up at Nick’s favourite pub on New Year’s Eve to catch up over a few drinks before all going off to the different parties they had to attend. Darcy couldn’t be happier, surrounded by all her friends and the boy she’s crazy about.

“Now Gregory, don’t be like that!” Nick scolds. “You never know, your princess could be around the corner. In fact… Claire! Hey, Producer Claire! You wanna date Gregory?” Nick calls out to where Claire had been at the bar ordering another drink.

She looks at Nick, then at Greg, then back at Nick before shaking her head. “Absolutely not.”

“Ooh, tough blow. Perhaps another day, yeah?” Nick teases, and Greg just laughs before giving Nick a playful shove.

The chatter picks up and everyone’s busy telling each other about their Christmas and what misadventures occurred throughout. Darcy’s in the middle of retelling how Harry had practically lived in his ugly orange Christmas sweater to Zayn and Ian when there’s a loud throat clearing and everyone looks back to where Louis’ grinning.

“Erm, so I kind of have an announcement to make?” he begins, sharing a smile with Nick before looking over to where Eleanor’s sitting between LMC and Finchy to give her a friendly smile which she returns. “So uh, I had a meeting with my management a little earlier and we’ve come to an agreement. Although I’m still not allowed to broadcast who I really am, in two days’ time, I will officially be no longer dating Eleanor!”

Everyone, including Eleanor herself, cheers happily, knowing how big of a deal this is as it’s a step in the right direction. Nick looks so thrilled by the news, kissing Louis’ temple loudly as the younger boy giggles. Even though everyone involved knew that Eleanor and Louis weren’t really together, it had been obvious Nick couldn’t ignore the pictures always being splayed over the media of the two kissing and hugging and looking like they’re in love.

“Oh no, Eleanor! Are you okay?” Nick asks, his playful smile letting her know he’s not being a twat.

Eleanor grins, knowing how much this means to both Louis and Nick and she’s not upset in the slightest. Eleanor shrugs, looking across the room to catch eyes with Nate who gives her a wink and she smiles wider. “Ya know, I think I’ll be just fine,” she tells him, and everyone cheers again, before ordering another round to celebrate the trials and tribulations of the year, but most of all, to toast to the happiest and health of everyone present.

Darcy, nestled against Harry’s side with her best friend and his boyfriend right beside them, feels so happy she doesn’t quite know what to do with herself. She finds it hard to believe that it’s only been just over three months since she made the move to London, befriended Nick, and somehow, ended up exactly where she is. She’s never felt so at home with these people, her friends, and she’s never felt as connected to a person as she has with Harry, and somehow she just knows that whatever the new year has to offer, with these people beside her, it’s nothing she can’t handle.

“To us,” Nick toasts, holding his drink up high and everyone follows suit. “To all the crazy shit we’ve done, all the crazy shit still to come, and to the people who’ll love us through it all.”

“To us!” Everyone cheers, and it couldn’t be more of a perfect moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
so there you have it! that's it for this story, all done and dusted! a cheeseball of an ending yes, but i am a sucker for a sappy ending. (plus, it's now not the end so there's that!) if you enjoyed this chapter and this story, please let me know!
as for the sequel, you can find that HERE. i should have the first chapter up within a week but if you subscribe to it now, then you'll know when it all begins.
i just want to say a HUGE HUGE thank you to absolutely everyone who has been involved in this story! to everyone who subscribed, who recommended, who left wonderful comments, and to everyone who read this little story of mine, just thank you. it means so much to know that people are actually interested in a story of your own creation so thank you for giving me that! you're all lovely, lovely people and i hope i managed to entertain you with this story!
for those of you willing to read the sequel, i will see you there and i can't wait to bring you the next installment of harry and darcy's crazy lives, and for those who get off the train here, thank you for sticking around this long!
big, big love to you all!
(something i need // one republic)