Sequel: If It Ain't Broke

Don't Wave No Goodbye

the things that no one else sees

“So did you hear about Harry’s apparent new conquest?” Nick asks in the form of a greeting, a week after their lunch date with Harry, and three days after said popstar left for a small album promo tour.

Darcy makes a face at this, slipping her headphones off now that she has two songs to chat through. “Why must you make it sound so vile? And no, I haven’t. I don’t really care either.”

“Pah, lies! Everyone wants to know which celebrity is shagging who; you are no exception, my dear!”

“Oh alright then, seeing as you’re dying to tell me,” Darcy responds, rolling her eyes at Nick who takes a seat beside her.

“You ready for this?” Nick asks, continuing almost immediately. “Taylor Swift!”

Darcy almost feels her eyes bulge out of her head. “What? Really? Has the kid got a death wish?”

Nick grins viciously. “And what could you possibly mean by that, Darcy dearest?”

“You know full well what I mean. Is he desperate to get his named slandered through pop song in a few weeks time?”

“Perhaps. Gotta keep the world talking, right?” Nick shrugs easily. “Although according to Mr. Styles himself, he only talked to the woman for a few minutes and the papers were already organising their wedding.”

“Bit sad, really. Can’t even chat to a fellow popstar without waking up the rumour mill,” Darcy says, feeling a bit bad for Harry underneath it all. It couldn’t be easy having every single relationship analysed by outsiders, even the briefest acquaintances.

“Hmm. I don’t know, I think him and TayTay could be quite fetching together. Lovely looking children,” Nick grins again, that very same grin that makes him look slightly menacing.

“What are you planning, Grimshaw?” Darcy asks warily, eyes flittering back to her computer to check how she’s going for time.

“Nothing, nothing. I’m most certainly not going to drop a few hints about my new favourite couple Haylor on my extremely popular breakfast show tomorrow, if that’s what you’re asking,” Nick responds innocently.

“This doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that Harry tricked you into hanging out with Louis Tomlinson, does it?”

“The little shit smirked when I realised what was going on. Smirked. He needs to suffer.”

Darcy shakes her head at her seething friend. “Alright, go plot your devious and completely mature revenge. I’ve got a radio show to host,” Darcy tells him, shooing him away quickly and shoving her headphones back on.

The rest of her show goes smoothly despite the fact that it’s quite easy to tell she’s over compensating with her overly chipper enthusiasm but she can’t help it. Nick’s gossip had taken her by surprise and although she knew that Harry had been with an arm length long list of famous females, it still causes her to realise that while she’d become quite enamoured by the teenager during the two times they’d met, he still has half the world gagging for him and she’s not exactly someone special.

By the time she signs off for the week, just feeling relieved that she can just go home and hide for the next two days, she finds Nick still hovering around the offices. It’s not unusual for Nick to hang around Radio One once he’s done for the day if he has nothing on, what’s unusual is Nick Grimshaw having no other engagements. His calendar is always filled to the brim with people he has to see and things he has to do, yet today he’s just rolling himself back and forth in a wheelie chair and playing on his phone.

“There you are! You alright?” Nick asks the moment he catches sigh of Darcy making her way out of the studio.

Darcy gives an inward sigh, knowing that Nick is capable of seeing right through her. “Just peachy. Yourself?”

“Wondering why you bother lying to me, darling,” Nick answers with a smile. “Come on, I’ve got the xx’s new record and a delicious bottle of wine I’ve been looking for a reason to open.”

Darcy just sighs and goes along with it, thinking that at the very least she gets to drink and wallow in self pity while listening to some decent music.

Nick’s flat is much nicer than Darcy’s, and she’s thought so ever since she’d first come over. He really did have an eye for interior design and while all the pieces that make up the living room come off as vaguely vintage and overly hipster-ish, it seems to work and gives the room a real nice feel to it.

Kicking his shoes off, Nick stretches along the living room floor next to his record player and flicks through the box of vinyl’s sitting beside it before selecting the one he’s after and putting it on. Darcy makes her way into the kitchen, having been here enough times since she’d first met Nick that she’s familiar with the whole set out. Fishing out two wine glasses and the wine itself before finding a bottle opener as an afterthought, she returns to the living room to set the glasses on the coffee table and hand the bottle and the opener to Nick wordlessly.

After pouring both of them a half glass each, Nick takes his glass and gives Darcy this little knowing look. “So tell me, Ms. Lewis, how’s your love life?”

Darcy’s thankful she hadn’t sipped her wine yet or she would’ve spat it everywhere. “Excuse me?” she splutters, looking fairly victimised and Nick has the gall to roll his eyes.

“Come on, Darce. You and I are friends, are we not? And you know enough about my tragic life to warrant me to be allowed to ask after yours,” he says around the rim of his glass. “Not that your life is tragic. Well, not that I know of anyway.”

After giving a little groan of unhappiness, Darcy decides to bite the bullet. “I… don’t like relationships? I guess. I mean, no, I do, but only the beginning bit. When things start getting serious that’s when I decide to call it quits because things get messy. I don’t like commitment, that’s why I move around all the time and can never stay in the same job for more than a year and I get panicky if I settle for too long.”

Nick says nothing but he’s got that serious face on, the one that means he’s listening and not making a list of jokes about the situation so Darcy continues.

“It’s not that I’m scared though. I just don’t know how to do it, be someone’s something. I don’t think I have the capacity to think about someone else all the time, and wonder how they feel about certain things, and remember important dates, and text them when we haven’t spoken in sometime or even if we have. I’m neglectful, I’m barely a good friend, and I don’t want to be tied down to someone who will have all these expectations of me.”

“’tis a scary thing, alright,” Nick says in agreement after a moment of silence.

Darcy grabs a pillow from beside her and uses it to cover her face. “You’re judging me, I can feel it.”

“Nope, no, definitely not judging,” Nick reassures, reaching out to pull the pillow away carefully as Darcy gives him a miserable look. “Look at me, I’m twenty-eight and I’ve never been in love. Once. Never even felt like I could be with anyone because I don’t like the commitment of it. If anything, I’m sympathising with you because I know how horrid it can feel to think you’ll never love anyone. Or to be terrified that maybe one day you will.”

For the first time in perhaps the longest time, Darcy feels as though a weight has been lifted off her chest and she can breathe easily again. Nick moves from his spot on the floor to sit beside her and Darcy decides that they’ve been friends long enough that it wouldn’t be weird to curl up against him and he immediately wraps himself around her when she does.

“You’ve very knowledgeable when you want to be, Nicholas,” Darcy says quietly and she can feel Nick grin.

“I like to think so. You’re not really thinking about leaving us once a year is up though, are you?”

“We’ll see,” Darcy replies, tapping her glass idly. “I mean, I’m only contracted on for as long as Fearne’s away. But who knows what will happen.”

“I hope so. I’ve become rather fond of you, young Darcy, and would be very sad to see you go.”

“I’m touched, really,” Darcy says, her tone teasing but she means every word. “And maybe I’ll try extra hard to stick around. As long as you promise not to tell me anything more about what or who Harry Styles is doing.”

Nick smirks at this, downing the last of his drink quickly. “That brings me to my next topic. Was I right? Do you want to join the masses and have Harry Styles’ babies?”

Darcy groans and wishes she had the energy to just punch Nick in the arm for being an ass. “I hate you, I really do. Also this is not up for discussion unless you wish to tell me all about why exactly you hate Louis?”

“Not fair! Those two subjects aren’t even remotely similar!” Nick whines and Darcy can’t help the grin coming across her face.

“Sorry mate, I don’t make the rules!” Darcy laughs, ignoring Nick’s glare and realising that side A of the record had finished. “Grim, go flip the record.”

Nick makes a pathetic attempt to get off the couch, practically falling to the floor before rolling over the record player to switch the vinyl to side B, before moving back to sit at Darcy’s feet. He props his chin up on the couch to look up at Darcy with his best impression of a puppy dog face. “Please tell me Darcy, pleeeeease.”

“You’re insufferable, really. And there’s nothing to tell, honestly. I just think it’s stupidly annoying that he’s so nice to look at and that he’s got such a genuine personality, I can’t hate him. He’s awful. Worse than you, even.”

Nick grins like all his Christmases have come at once. “I knew it, I knew you liked him! Am I the perfect match maker or what?”

“Whoa, slow down; let’s not get carried away here! Nobody said anything about liking him, I just said I can’t hate him. Besides I’ve met the kid twice and there’s no way I would ever… No, certainly not,” Darcy says firmly.

“What, date him? Yeah, but that’s not exactly the only thing you can do with him, is it?” Nick asks, giving a lewd grin that makes Darcy gasp.

“Nicholas Grimshaw, you’re surely not suggesting what I think you’re suggesting?”

Nick gives a little shrug. “What? It’s not like it’s that much of a far-fetched idea, right?”

“Weren’t you telling me just the other day that he’s precious and likes proper relationships and what not?” Darcy asks frantically, feeling her face flush red and why are they even talking about this?

“Well yes, but that’s a bit unrealistic given his lifestyle. And why not? What’s a consensual bump and grind between friends? Y’know, you both get to release a little bit of that tension and nobody gets hurt or has to make any commitments. It’s like the perfect solution here!”

Darcy covers her face and groans. “I cannot believe you just said bump and grind with a serious face, you’re horrid. And no, it’s not the best solution. First of all, there’s still that age issue which I cannot get over and I’m not about to become some celebrity’s fuck buddy, that’s honestly the worst thing I can imagine. I’d hate myself.”

“Hey, the option’s there, right?”

“I don’t even know if he likes me, I mean, we’ve met all of two times, he may just be acting polite because he knows that you and I are friends. Oh god, I am the most pathetic twenty-five year old ever to exist, I’m going to go drown myself in your bathtub, goodbye,” Darcy moans hopelessly, attempting to get up when Nick grabs her wrist and tugs her back into place.

“Are you kidding me? Of course he likes you! Every time we hang out, he asks if you’re coming and he listens to your show more than mine, which is absurd!”

“Excuse you,” Darcy huffs, a little offended that the idea seems so ludicrous to Nick that someone may prefer her show to his.

Nick waves her off dismissively. “Are you even listening to me? He’s like, a bit obsessed with you. After only meeting you twice! He kept going on about how down to earth you are and whatever. He thinks you’re lovely and I’ve said it before, but he has a thing for older women!”

“God, shut up, please,” Darcy begs, screwing her eyes up tight before suddenly sitting up to look at Nick intently. “It would never work, you know, because he’s so nice. I just can’t handle that, he’s like a child and he thinks the whole world is going to look after him. Don’t you ever worry that one day he’ll just be crushed by how awful the world is? Christ, he’s just too nice and it makes me want to hurt him.”

Nick blinks. “Hurt as in… like the kinky way? Not judging!”

“No, god, Nicholas!” Darcy throws a well-aimed pillow at Nick, hitting him squarely in the face. “I don’t know, it just makes me want to ruin him a bit. And this is why I can’t be anything with him because I will chew him up and spit him out like I’ve done to plenty of blokes before.”

“I really love learning all this stuff about you, Darcy, you’re endlessly fascinating, you are,” Nick says with a grin.

“You’re not at all concerned about the fact this is one of your best mates I’m talking about here?”

“Harry’s a grown up lad, he can make decisions for himself. And if he chooses you to be the one to hurt him, then that’s all on him,” Nick says firmly with a little nod.

“It doesn’t matter, really. Because I don’t want to be anything to Harry Styles, I deserve better than that,” Darcy says finally, more to herself than anyone.

Nick raises his empty glass to her with a smirk. “That you do. And I commend you for it. To Darcy, the baddest bitch who don’t need no international popstar to get her rocks off!”

Darcy groans again, getting to her feet shakily and placing her glass down on the table. “I really do hate you, but love you all the same.”

“So touching,” Nick says, grabbing at his shirt above his heart. “Where are you off to, then? We haven’t even finished side B!”

“Off to shag the best looking man at the pub, if you wanna come?” Darcy says decidedly, figuring the best way to get over a dumb infatuation is to get under someone.

Nick looks positively beside himself at this. “God, I love you. You’re winning at life right now. But no, I think that’s something you should do on your own. Be safe, and call me tomorrow with all the details!”

Darcy waves as she grabs her coat and lets herself out, a new determination in her mind. It takes all of ten minutes for her to find her target. His name’s Mike, he’s a construction worker, and quite possibly the most boring person she’s ever had the misfortune to talk to. She likes it, it means there’s absolutely zero connection and he has the loveliest arms, so she lets him take her home and she allows him to think he’s in control when really he’s a puppet on her string. And for a few wonderful, sweaty, and lust filled hours, she forgets all about a certain popstar, and is thankful that for all that Mike is boring, he’s fantastic in bed and this is exactly what she needed.

*

The following morning, Darcy stumbles out of bedroom feeling rough and hating herself a little. The previous evening had been fun up until the moment Mike’s girlfriend showed up and now Darcy has to live with the fact that not only does she enjoy meaningless sex with strangers (a fact that doesn’t exactly bother her), but she’s also a home wrecker (a fact that actually does bother her).

Groaning softly, she runs a hand through her matted hair and considers the thought of a shower once she had a cup of tea to help her wake up properly. Making her way into the kitchen, she suddenly smells that delicious scent of a brew which concerns her because she definitely hadn’t been up earlier to make one and she lived alone. Wandering into the kitchen, she finds Nick sitting on her bench top with a cuppa in hand, and one beside him for her.

“Morning, gorgeous!” he greets casually, like breaking into someone’s house for a cup of tea is normal behaviour.

Darcy can only manage a half-dignified grunt in response before pouncing on the cup of tea, sipping it delicately and giving a soft sigh of pleasure as she feels the liquid warm her from the inside.

Nick grins at this. “So, did we enjoy ourselves last night? Did he shag the hopeless pining out of ya?”

Darcy whacks him over the head with a conveniently placed newspaper and Nick gives a little yelp, rubbing the back of his head with a little pout.

“I never pine for anyone, thank you,” Darcy says matter-of-factly. “And last night was great until the girlfriend showed up.”

“Yikes,” Nick makes a face. “Bet it wasn’t pretty?”

“Dunno,” Darcy answers with a shrug. “Didn’t stick around to find out. And really, it’s all his fault. How was I to know he was in a relationship?”

Shrugging, Nick finishes off his tea and places the cup in the sink. “Exactly. He got what’s coming to him. Your tea alright?”

“Mmm. It’s perfect, thank you. Which reminds me, why are you in my house?”

“What, I can’t pop round to say hello?”

“Well yes, but let me rephrase my question. How exactly are you in my house?”

Nick grins at this. “Greg taught me how to pick locks the other day. Thought I’d try it out, and it worked!”

Darcy looks horrified at this, suddenly feeling extremely unsafe until Nick begins to laugh hysterically.

“You should have seen your face!” Nick wheezes between laughs. “Brilliant! You keep your spare key in a super obvious place, silly. God, that was funny.”

“Have I told you lately that you’re the worse?”

“Quite a few times, darling, thank you. Anyway, I actually did come over here with a purpose besides wanting to know about your one night stand. I’m having a party tonight at mine, and I came over to invite you personally!”

“A party for what?’ Darcy asks sleepily, rubbing at her eyes and fighting off a yawn.

“Look at you, so precious after a night of being a slut,” Nick says fondly, moving before Darcy can hit him again. “And since when do I ever need a reason to have a party?”

“Is everyone getting a personal invite or am I just that special?” Darcy asks suspiciously and Nick gives a little grin.

“Nothing gets passed you now, does it?” Nick questions, shaking his head. “And no, they don’t. I just had to make sure I got your word that you’d come, instead of wallowing in your own sadness.”

It’s Darcy’s turn to shake her head and she gives him a smile. “Not sad anymore. I’ve got that Saturday feeling and a party is definitely something I can get down with. Just give me a time, and I’ll be there!”

“Yeah! That’s my girl!” Nick cheers, hoping down off the counter to pull Darcy in for a one armed hug. “I expect to see you at seven o’clock sharp, yeah? Looking hot as always!”

“Yeah, yeah, see you then,” Darcy says with a smile, waving him off as Nick gives one last grin before heading off himself, leaving Darcy feeling moderately better about everything in her life, just another side effect of being friends with Nick Grimshaw.
♠ ♠ ♠
a little insight into our leading lady and the problems we'll be running into later in the story.
the next chapter is BIG.
thanks for reading! <3
(angels // the xx)