Status: Slow and steady

The Fall of Prejudice

The Next Day

Frank awoke the next day laying half on top of Gerard, his head cradled in the crook of his husband’s neck. It took him a moment before he remembered the previous nights activities and that both men lay together stark naked. Not wanting to embarrass himself and intrude on Gerard, Frank pushed himself up and rolled over to the other side of the bed.

It was not long before he felt Gerard move toward him and two strong arms wrap around his waist. “And where, my dear, do you think you are going?”

Not able to come up with an answer, Frank merely sighed and pretended to go back to sleep. Gerard placed small kisses on the back of Frank’s neck. “Come now, dear, I know you are awake, what kind of husband would I be if I let you stay in bed all day?”

“One who has the highest regard for beauty sleep.” Frank answered into the pillow, resulting in a snort from the man behind him.

With one last kiss, Gerard stood up and walked across the room. Frank peaked over the covers but soon averted his eyes when he saw Gerard standing by the wardrobe, naked.

Seeing this, Gerard smiled. “Frankie, I know I may not be as beautiful as you but you must know that averting your eyes is unkind.”

Blushing at Gerard’s teasing, Frank stood up, wrapped himself in the sheets, and went to go join his husband. “What are we doing today?” His clothing had all been unpacked during the tour the day before but Frank’s clothing looked out of place in the large, ornate wardrobe.

“Whatever you wish, my love.” Gerard snaked an arm around Frank’s waist and the two spent a moment looking at their clothing, which sat side by side on the shelfs. “It is nice to have someone else here. I now see how lonely I had been in this house, in this bed. You are my saving grace, protecting me from myself.”

Frank blushed and thought about what Gerard had said. Gerard made it seem as if he had been the lucky one in the marriage, whereas Frank new full well that without marrying a man as wealthy as Gerard, Frank’s family stood no chance of surviving the year financially.

He saw himself as a trading piece. He was given to Gerard to keep him company in exchange for his families security. His stomach churned as he thought about Gerard finding something better to trade for. The two may be married in the eyes of the law and the church but less has led to the unfaithfulness of men.

If Gerard were to lose interest in Frank, who knows how long he would support the Ieros, they would only be a reminder of the mistake he had made in his marriage to Frank.

It was this thought that led Frank to determine that he would not allow this to occur. He may not love Gerard but he would do everything in his power to keep his husband happy for as long as possible.

Frank then turned into Gerard’s side and dropped the sheet he clutched around his chest. He looked up at Gerard who was looking down at his husband with intent and curiosity.

“I suppose,” the older man began, “spending all day in bed would not be the worst thing I have ever done.”

~***~

That afternoon, Gerard excused himself to his office, saying that if he did not do at least some work that day, they would banish him from the grounds and crown him the worst master in all of England.

Frank quickly became bored without Gerard by his side and so took to reading a book he had picked up. It was not long before Frank decided that he did not enjoy reading in such a large room by himself so he took the book and headed in the direction of the library, hoping that he remembered enough from the tour to find it.

After knocking on three other doors only to find they were two broom closets and another sitting room, Frank came to one that he was sure was the entrance to the library.

He knocked softly and after what he assumed was a command to enter from Gerard, he slowly opened the door.

Gerard was sitting at the desk on the far side of the room, he had taken off the jacket and waist coat, untied is cravat, and pushed his sleeves up past his elbows. His hair looked wild and ink stained parts of his hands and face.

He smiled at Frank, who had realized he had been standing there for at least a minute and had not said anything. “Can I help you, Frankie?”

Blushing, Frank lifted his hand to show the book he had carried in. “May I join you? The morning room seemed just a little too lonely for my tastes.”

Gerard smiled and motioned for Frank to sit in the chase lounge near the desk. “Of course, my love, but I’m afraid I might not be the best company as I work.”

Frank just smiled and sat down. Gerard was not the best company for most of the time before he proposed so Frank did not think this would be a concern. After settling into the chair, Frank read for a few minutes before he allowed himself to take a look at his husband.

Gerard sat, crouched over piles of paper, murmuring to himself about different tenants on the lands and more numbers than Frank could keep straight. Frank watched Gerard in amazement, he knew his husband was someone important but watching the care Gerard put into caring for the people on his land gave Frank a pleasantly painful swollen feeling in his chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait, but I am back!

I would love to hear what you think of this story. Every time I get a comment I just sit in my room and blush to myself. You all are too kind!