Status: Slow and steady

The Fall of Prejudice

The Encounter

At the ball, both Frank and James were dressed in their best tails, Frank would not soon forget the look of pure rage he received from his mother when he attempted to loosen the cravat around his neck. As usual, Madeline began dancing as soon as she entered the long dark room but James and Frank walked along the walls, looking for their friend, Mr. Bryar.

Robert Bryar was a closer friend to Frank than he was to James as they had more in common. Robert, fondly known as “Bob”, was of a large build with sandy blond hair. Those who did not know him thought of him as an solemn man but Frank knew this was only due to his distain for large crowds.

“So, Bob,” Frank began when they finally made their way to his corner of the room, “what can you tell us of out new tenant?”

“Mr. Raymond Toro is a kind and generous man, he travels here with his closest friend, a Mr. Gerard Way. Mr. Way makes Mr. Toro’s five thousand pounds a year look like nothing but he seems a tad too prideful for my liking.”

Bob’s father had been knighted years ago and took this to mean that it was his duty to welcome any person of status to the town. He had taken Bob along to meet the new comers, thus giving Bob all the information needed to inform his friends on the mysterious men.

As Bob continued to talk to Frank and James, the music stopped playing. Everyone in the room turned to see that two men who looked slightly out of place had entered the room. As they made their way across room, each person they passed bowed, partly out of manners but mostly out of awe.

“So, Mr. Bryar, which of these men is the famous Mr. Raymond?” James questioned as the two men passed by.

“The taller one with the large brown hair,” Bob lowered his voice as not to be over heard, “the hair may look strange but he is truly one of the kindest men I have ever come across.

Frank assumed that the other man was Mr. Way. He was tall but as tall as his companion. His dark hair was just slightly too long to be considered fashionable and gave him an air of disregard. His skin was so pale that Frank wondered how often it saw the sun, it looked as if Mr. Way barricaded himself indoors on a regular basis.

As Frank scanned the man, he looked again to his face to see that Mr. Way was looking back at him. Frank bowed politely as he thought about the fact that Mr. Way was handsome but Frank had never seen someone looking so miserable.

As the music began to play again, Frank’s father was being herded over to his sons by Mrs. Iero. She then grabbed both sons and forced them in the direction of Mr. Way and Mr. Toro in order to instigate and introduction.

While being introduced, Frank realized that Mr. Way was still staring at him. Frank, not being one to back down from a challenge, stared back, creating an uncomfortable eye contact. It was not long before Mr. Toro asked James to dance. This did not come as a surprise to Frank as his brother was always catching the attention of different men and women. This left Frank alone with Mr. Way as his parents had left to tend to Madeline.

“Do you dance, Mr. Way?” Frank asked, not wanting particularly to dance with him, he was only attempting to be social.

“No, not unless it is strictly necessary.” Mr. Way no longer looked at Frank, instead focusing on something on the side of the room. Frank took this as his time to leave and made his way to Bob. He did not even bother to look back at Mr. Way and did not notice that he had resumed staring at him.

Later in the eventing, Frank sat with Bob on the side of the room making light conversation as they were passed by Mr. Way and Mr. Toro.

“You do not have to stay by my side, Raymond,” Gerard’s voice was slightly softer than the one he had used with Frank earlier, “you have a lovely partner who I am sure would like to dance with you again.”

“Yes! Is James not the most beautiful creature you have ever seen?” Frank smiled, happy that his brother could make such a match, his mother would be so pleased. “But his brother is his equal in both age and beauty, you could perhaps dance with him?” Frank felt a blush spread over his cheeks.

“Mhmmm, yes I suppose he is handsome but not enough to tempt me.” The coldness in Mr. Way’s voice was back. Frank felt enraged embarrassed and proceeded to smile weakly at Bob before leaving the ball to sit outside, where he would remain for the rest of the evening.