Status: Slow and steady

The Fall of Prejudice

The Proposal

Frank sat on the rock next to Mr. Way and waited for him to explain himself.

“Yesterday I told you that I accompanied Ray to your home everyday to make sure the situation did not worsen. At first, I had convinced myself that this was the truth but it did not take long for me to understand I returned each day only to see you.” Gerard had shifted to angle himself towards Frank and leaned in slightly.

“You see Frank, for so long I attempted to live as if I felt nothing for you but I cannot do that anymore. I cannot leave with Ray to never see you again.” Frank shifted on the rock uncomfortably, not liking the way the conversation had turned.

“I do not know what you want from me, sir.” Frank’s voice was soft as he looked down at his shoes. Mr. Way smiled slightly and placed his hand on Frank’s cheek, forcing him to look the gentleman in the eye.

“I want you to no longer call me ‘sir’, I want you to return with me to my home to spend your days by my side, I want you to be my husband. I know that our classes may differ and people may not understand but, my dearest Frank, I need you to be mine because I can no longer stand the pain of being away from the man I love.”

A strange concoction of fear and rage boiled up inside of Frank. How could he possibly marry the man who slighted him at the ball or allowed his brother to be led on so that his heart may break? Frank was about stand up and yell at Mr. Way, to curse him for thinking he could use Frank’s Christian name with such ease, to think he would ever marry him.

Then Mr. Way, hand still on Frank’s cheek, leaned in until their lips touched. Frank was stunned and even more angered that Mr. Way would take such liberties without Frank’s consent. Mr. Way moved closer and placed his hand on Frank’s waist and Frank worked hard to expel the thought that it was nice to be held out of his mind.

Frank heard a rustling on the path next to them and separated himself from Mr. Way to see a middle aged matron standing there, shocked at the scene before her. Mr. Way, noticing Frank had backed away and stiffened turned his back to see the woman and instantly moved away from Frank’s side but left his hand on Frank’s waist.

“Madam, please don’t be alarmed,” Mr. Way addressed the shocked lady, “there is nothing sinful here for Mr. Iero has just consented to marry me and make me the happiest man alive.”

Mr. Way smiled warmly at the lady who returned it before offering her congratulations and being on her way.

It was at this moment that Frank realized he was trapped. He had not agreed to marry Mr. Way but after being caught in such a scandalous position he knew he had no choice but to marry him. He did not know the lady who had found them but she knew his name now and, no doubt, was aware of who Mr. Way was. The whole town would know the news within the hour. If he were to break of the engagement now, he would bring great shame to his family, no one would ever wish to be acquainted with any Iero. Breaking this engagement would ruin James and Madeline’s chances at a happy marriage, he knew he had no choice.

He did start to think, however, that the one glimmer of hope he had was the fact that he would now be able to find men of good society for his siblings, he could help James forget about Mr. Toro by introducing him to others.

Frank still shivered at the idea of spending every night and day alongside the prideful and somber Mr. Way.

Mistaking Frank’s shiver for being cold, Mr. Way wrapped his arm tightly around Frank and placed a kiss on his cheek. “Come, my love, we must get you inside before you catch your death and I should have a talk with your father.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this one is a little shorter that usual but I will probably write another soon, I'm in one of those moods! Comments and recommendations do make me write faster and make my day so feel free to let me know what you think!

(As you can tell, I have come away from the Jane Austen story line almost fully. I will have some aspects of her novel in here but I did want to make it my own story.)