Status: Slow and steady

The Fall of Prejudice

The Discussion

By the time they had returned to Iero Lodge, the entire family was awake, dressed, and curious as to why Frank was returning so early in the morning with Mr. Way. After partaking the proper greetings, Mr. Way asked Frank’s father for a private audience.

Frank was then taken to the parlor room by his mother, followed by his brother and sister. They sat down and Frank had told him the news, leaving out the fact that they were caught in a scandalous position and that Frank did not want to marry Mr. Way.

Mrs. Iero was so overcome with happiness due to her future son-in-law that she completely forgot how unpleasant of a man he was. She went on and on about blessed Frank had saved his family from destitution and how he had always been her favorite. Frank knew for a fact that he had never been his mother’s favorite.

Madeline took after her mother’s excitement and began to fantasize about the dress she could buy for such a prestigious wedding. The two women quickly went to sit in the corner and began to plan the wedding, deciding that Frank would be no use to the planning.

This left James and Frank alone on their side of the room, Frank was curious to see what his brother thought of the situation. He made a mental note to ask Mr. Way how they were to tell James about Mr. Toro, Frank assumed they would not leave today seeing as they were not yet married.

“Frankie, I had no idea you were interested in Mr. Way. I thought you hated the man.” James eyed his brother carefully. Frank cursed the fact that James knew him better than any one else and could tell when he lied.

Frank put on his best smile, he was determined not to let James know the truth, he did not want his brother’s pity. “No, hardly so.”

It was at this moment when Mr. Way entered the room with Frank’s father in tow. This was the first time Frank had been glad to see Mr. Way, his brother could not ask these personal questions with his fiance in the room.

“My dear.” Mr. Way began to make his way to Frank’s side. Frank looked closely at the man he was to marry, he had never seen him smile so wide. In that moment Frank decided he did quite enjoy Mr. Way’s smile, it lit up his face in a way that made him look younger, despite the fact that he could not be older than eight and twenty years. Frank smiled back, attempting to be the happy fiance everyone thought him to be.

Before Mr. Way could reach his side, Mrs. Iero intercepted him and began to talk of wedding preparations. Frank could find no trace in Mr. Way’s eves of the the destain for Mrs. Iero that Frank saw at the ball. It seemed as though Mr. Way was so happy in his new engagement that even Frank’s mother was tolerable.

While Mr. Way smiled politely and listened to his future mother-in-law, Frank soon decided to save the poor man before Mrs. Iero made a scene of herself.

Frank approached the small circle they had formed. “Perhaps, Mama, Mr. Way and I could go for a turn about the garden and talk about the wedding and we shall come find you when it is time to discuss the smaller details, like what I am to wear.”

Mr. Way smile widened and he winked at Frank before offering Frank his arm to make their way outside.

~***~

“So, my dear, are you hoping for a long engagement?” Mr. Way guided Frank along a small bridge to a forgotten looking bench in full view of the house.

“I do not think so, Mr. Way, I thought that you were hopeful to return to your home.” They sat down much in the same position they were in that morning on the rock.

“Yes this is true. But I do wish you would not call me ‘Mr. Way’ when we are alone, Gerard is my Christian name and I hope you will use it.” He smiled again, Frank wondered if he would be smiling this much through their whole engagement.

“Okay, Gerard,” Frank paused, getting used to the new name, “Where should we marry?” Frank hoped Gerard would not wish to marry at his home, Frank wanted to be surrounded by his family for as long as possible before he had to leave them.

“I do not care about the details of the wedding, Frankie, all I want is to be married to you, the rest can be anything you wish.” Frank thought of the irony, all he wanted was to not marry Gerard.

“I would like a small wedding, mostly family but a few close friends.” It was then Frank thought about telling Bob about his new fiance, “I would also like to be married here, in the church I grew up in.”

“That sounds wonderful, my dear,” Frank was again glad he would marry here so he would not have to leave right away, “I will have to invite my brother. Ray is here already. Those are the only people I need there. Besides you that is.” Gerard leaned in to kiss Frank on the cheek.

“I was not aware you had a brother.” It became clear how little Frank new about his future husband.

“Yes, his name is Michael. He is about your age and studies music in London. I think you two shall get along splendidly! Most people say he is the kinder and gentler of the Way brothers, too bad you are stuck with me.” Gerard laughed slightly at his own joke, Frank wondered what Michael would be like, he hoped to have a friend in his future home.

“Speaking of Mr. Toro,” Frank cleared his voice, not sure how to proceed with the delicate topic, “If you are to be staying here for the wedding, what is to happen with him?”

“I had hoped to send his off to my home still, and he could come back for the wedding. That does, however, create a problem with the fact that I did not want him to see James again.” Frank’s stomach dropped, how could this man think it was his choice?

“Could we not just tell James the truth? Tell him that Mr. Toro has no intention of making him an offer instead of him leaving in the dark of night. My brother is my closest friend, I hope you do not ask me to lie to him.”

Gerard stared off into the bushes, thinking about what Frank had said. “I suppose so, it will make things harder but I understand you wanting to be truthful to your brother. I shall tell James what is going on.”

“Please, Mr. Wa - Gerard, please let me tell my brother. He is normally not comfortable having emotional discussions with strangers and I might be able to keep my mother at bay if I tell him.” Frank could not imagine James’ embarrassment if Gerard were to tell him.

“Whatever you wish, my love,” Gerard looked down at Frank and pressed their lips together softly. Frank new that this was his new right as his fiance but it felt to strange and unwelcome. They soon separated but Gerard leaded his forehead against Frank’s “now, should we go see what flowers your mother has chosen for the special day?”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's kinda fluffy but I felt there as some important information I had to get across.

Comments are always welcome!