Status: COMPLETED!!!!

A Fading Memory

Tomorrow Holds Such Better Days

Stella's point of view.

Crunch.

That sickening sound. The crunching of bones and metal as it dented as a body landed on the car. The shouting stopped. Even Jay stopped crying for a second as I struggled to keep control of the damn car. A mop of bleached hair slowly stained red. I was too scared to do anything to help him.

I went to the hospital with him. Broken back. Swollen brain. Internal bleeding. Skull fractures. Broken pelvis. He would die before Christmas and even if he did survive he'd spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair. I sat by him day and night, while he lay there motionless. A tube going into his brain. A brace holding his pelvis in place. A brain scan, showing his schizophrenic mind bursting through his skull. He'll need surgery and rehabilitation. If he survived.

Doctors said I'd get sick if I didn't go home. I'd been by his side, day and night, just talking to him. So I went home, back to Jay and Aled. Only it wasn't home, I could feel the dominating presence of the stranger taunting me in the shadows. He wasn’t there. He was a delusion but for Sean’s sake I forced myself to believe he was real.

Aled's hand slipped around my waist, the other reaching over to hold my hand. The darkness of the basement surrounded us, like the spirit controlling Sean's mind. Was he real? Imaginary? I had no proof. Why did Sean jump? The creation told him to? Why else? Sean didn't have any reason to. "Don't cry now, he'll stay strong. He's stronger than you think." Aled said softly.

I wanted to turn and punch him in the face, but I also wanted to roll over and let him hold me while I cry. Aled had bought so much Hell to my life. He was argumentative and controlling. But he made me smile late at night while the boys slept with his caring words. He was sweet and protective and caring. I needed him in my life so I gave up trying to fight him. I sat up and rubbed my eyes, holding back more tears. It had been days since I last slept.

Without a word I got up, something playing with my mind. A force I couldn't see or touch wanted me out of the basement. The whole room had a different atmosphere. I crept up the stairs, ignoring Aled's protests. The house was pitch black and only the sounds of the stairs creaking could be heard. The force carried me into Sean's room, where Jay lay sleeping. He was the only thing I'd have if Sean... died.

"Um... " I mumbled quietly, racking my brains for a name. Did Sean mention his name? He became a hermit in the months leading up to this. "Well, whatever your name is. You know who you are." I took a deep breath, trying to find the words to say.

"Whatever I did to anger you, I'm sorry. Whatever I did to make you take Sean from me, I'm sorry and all I ask is that you watch over him. Protect him, please. Don't let him slip away, please, please, please, I'm begging you. You have so much power and you're the only one who can save him. I'm sorry we moved into your territory, but you must learn this isn't your home anymore. I'm sorry you had to suffer. I'm sorry you killed yourself but you have to give me Sean back. I promised Mam and Dad I wouldn't let him get hurt. Please, just help him through the darkest nights."

I sat quietly, holding onto Jay's hand with tears pouring from my eyes. This was all my fault.

Suddenly, the air around me grew cold and goosebumps formed on my arms. He'd heard me, and he was in the room with me. In panic, I squeezed Jay's hand, praying he woke up. I didn't want to be alone with the monster that took my brother. What if he had Aled too? Aled wouldn't willingly hit Jay, would he? The black darkened and my eyes stung. Something was pushing against my chest, like he was trying to push me over. I gasped for air, but it had all been drained. There was something alien in the room, something greater than our minds could fathom. I tried to scream and end it all but nothing came. No sound. No air. The blinking light of Sean's TV went off and I was left in total darkness. Not even the light of the moon found its way into the room through the closed curtains. It was totally dark.

Then it stopped. The darkness shifted and a little light began to stream in. The pressure on my chest fell and air began to circulate again. It had only lasted minutes but it felt like a whole eternity. "I'm sorry I upset you." I whispered softly in guilty fear.

Quick as lightning, Sean's TV was switched on, playing some sort of gory horror movie. The light of the screen illuminated the whole room, every white wall.

Only the walls weren't white anymore.

Written in red, blood red on the white walls.
"Tomorrow holds such better days."
♠ ♠ ♠
Title: Adam's Song - Blink 182