Saving Alice

A Surprise Visit

Hours had passed when I hear a knock on my door. I got up from my spot on the couch and instinctively reached under the mattress for a small hand gun I always kept near.
The knock came again, louder this time.
"Hello?" a girls voice called. It was a strangers voice, but at the same time is sounded so eerily familiar. I racked my brains as I reached for the knob- where had I heard this voice before?
I pulled the door open and peered out.
Standing in front of me was a beautiful girl, she had to be only 19 or 20. She had honey colored hair that hung just above her shoulders, and the most magnificent brown eyes. Her features were striking, especially when she smiled- which she was doing right now. Damn, I felt breathless.. almost dizzy. Had I really only been staring at her for a few seconds? It felt like hours..
More importantly, had a woman just made me feel all that?
"I'm Nica." She said, shooting me another perfect smile.
I was too stunned to speak.
Her smile wavered for a moment and I saw her eyes travel down to the gun still clutched tightly in my hand. I felt a strong wave of embarressment wash over me.
"Don't worry," I mumbled, tossing it onto the mattress, "It's not loaded."
But she didn't look worred, in fact, she showed no sign of fear at all.
"I came by to thank you." She said.
Thank me? I knew the confusion showed on my face because she then added,
"For last night."
Then is hit me, hard. The voice, the girl. The girl from last night and the man in the alley.
"Shit." I said. "Um, yeah. I mean.." I stumbled over my words. "It was nothing."
She shook her head. "It wasn't nothing. You saved me." She looked over my shoulder into my apartment, and I took the chance and looked at her once more.
She was tall, but not too tall. She had tan skin and a perfect body, which was covered in what I assumed were expensive clothes. I looked down and was immidiently embarrassed by my oversized tee and boy shorts.
"May I come in?"
Again, I couldn't get the words to come out.
"I, uh. Um.. yeah. Yeah sure. Just one moment please?" I turned away before she could answer and shut the door.
"Shit." I mumbled under my breath as I began throwing empy wine bottles left and right. I kicked my laundry under the futon, but not before digging out a pair of jeans to slide on.
I knew I looked like a disheveled mess. Hell.. I was a disheveled mess.
I paused at the door, taking a moment to smooth my hair back.
Then it hit me again.. Why did I care so much?
I turned the knob and the beautiful woman- Nica- came inside.
I don't know what I was expecting, but she took a look around the room and sat down in the chair. Was I waiting for her to say some snobby comment? No. I don't think so.. then why was I so relieved when she said nothing about the shit hole I lived in.
"How long have you lived in New York?" She asked me.
"A few months."
She talked for a few minutes. About the weather, about the hollidays. I couldn't take my eyes off of her, or more specificly off of her gorgeous lips.
I shook myself. What is this? I thought. Who am I? I had never once thought of a girl in this way.. but now.. I tried to shake the feeling away.

I became very uncomfortable. Millions of thoughts were running through my head. Why was she here? What is it she wants? How did she find me?
It was almost as if she had heard my inner voice, or perhaps she just read it off my face, because she said, "I'm sure you're wondering why I am here."
Why yes, dear, I thought. Yes I am.
♠ ♠ ♠
Opinions? I don't know how I feel about this.. blech.