Saving Alice

The Ring

Nica was 24, and it turns out her name wasn't even Nica at all. It was Alice.
And she was a drug lord.
No, she wasn't even just a drug dealer, but the leader of a drug ring that spread throughout a majority of the world. She had people stationed in almost every country. In all there were at least a few hundred men and women under her control.
And she wanted me.
She told me how the night that I saved her from the man she could see it in my eyes. She had come back to that same alley early this morning and waited. She saw me enter my apartment and waited some more. She wasn't competely sure so she made an excuse. Had I questioned her appearance any further she would have explained how she came to get a second profile of the man, the witness's version of the story, to take to the police for evidence. But I didn't question it, at least not out loud. Instead I pulled a gun on her as I opened the door.
She had smiled at me then, as she said "Darling, you have no idea where you would be had you shot me."

I looked out the car window at he night around us. Alice was driving, checking her phone every few moments and looking in the rear view even more often.
After she had explained everything to me, she had given me two options. Join, or die.
It was as simple as that. Either I became a pawn to her, or I became nothing at all.
I chose to become a part of her game, but not because my other option was death. Really, had it been join or walk away I probably still would have stayed. Maybe it was the call of adventure, maybe it was the slope of her lips, whatever it was it had me. I was hooked already, and we had barely just begun.