Saving Alice

One of Us

What felt like hours later, Alice turned the car onto long driveway. I must have dozed off because the bumping of the car wheel on the pavement woke me, and I jumped with a start. I looked out the windows and viewed the land around me. There wasn't a single city light in site. In fact, there was nothing but hills and trees. It was secluded, it was beautiful.
I had no idea where 'it' was.
Alice stopped the car, and I turned forward. Before us stood a mansion. It was glorious, and had it been anymore lavish probably could have passed for a small castle.
Alice looked at me and I stared back. For a moment, just a second, I thought I saw a flash of fear shoot through her eyes, but in the next instant it was gone, replaced with cold confidence and pride.
"Come darling," she cooed to me, opening the driverside door. "It's time to make our entrance."
I reached for the handle and opened it with a shakey hand. Alice had gone a head of me, but was now waiting for me on the stone steps. When I reached for her she put a hand on the small of my back, and guided me into the house.
She opened the heavy wooden doors and revealed a vast hallway. There was a grand staircase before me, and a chandeliar above my head. The walls were dark and warm, but cold and uninviting all at the same time. We stood there, me taking it all in while Alice drummed her fingers impatiently on my back. "Darling, there will be time to stare later. Right now we have somewhere to be."
The look on my face must have told her I was confused, becaue she added "I have some people I want you to meet."
With her hand still on my back she guided me through a door to the left, into a smaller, less impressive room.
It took my eyes a moment to adjust to the dark hazy atmosphere, but when they did, I saw we were not alone any longer.

There was a couch across the room, and on it sat two men, talking to a women sitting in a chair beside them. The woman was the one who caught my attention. She was dressed from head to toe in black, with red hair falling over her shoulders. She had red talons on her hands to match. Between two of her fingers she rolled a Cruelle De'vil looking cigarette, and she blew a stream of smoke out from between to perfectly shaped lips. When the door closed fully, she turned to face us.
Across the room there was a small group of people, some drinking from fancy glasses, some smoking. They too, had stopped their talking and turned to face us.
It was the woman who moved first. She stood up from her chair, her black dress falling down to the floor. She flipped her hair over her shoulder and came towards us. She was there in an instant, her ran fingernails hidden in Alice's hair, and her lips pressed roughly to her mouth.
I tried to avert my eyes. Why was my face getting hot? Where did this jealousy come from?
Alice pushed the woman away gently, but her eyes showed anger, and cold brutal force.
"Not now, Vivienne." Alice said, her voice stern.
The red heads face flushed, and her eyes filled with anger. "Welcome home, Ali." She spit out before retreating to her chair.
The next to approach us was a mountain of a man, with dark skin and darker eyes. He got about five feet away from us before stopping.
"What is her name?" he asked motioning to me. "Who is she?" He had an accent that I couldn't quite pin, but it sounded so familiar. The mans brow was furrowed and he alternated his cold glare between both Alice and I.
Alice didn't answer right at first, and this caused the man to get closer. He was just a few inches from her now, but she stared up at him completely unafraid.
"This is Grace." She finally said, her voice quiet but strong. "And she is one of us."
♠ ♠ ♠
I originally wrote this chapter last week, but then the computer I was using thought it'd be cool to shut down out of nowhere, and I lost all of my writing. The original chapter was extremely better, and if more of it comes back to me I'll probably update and edit this. Just saying. Comments please??