Saving Alice

Chameleon

There was a moment of silence, a calm before the storm. But that moment passed, and when it did the room erupted into noise. For a moment I thought all hell had broken loose, I thought the sounds I heard were filled with anger and hatred. But when I felt hands across my back, they weren’t angry, they were congratulatory. I looked up in time to see that the man-mountain had made his way towards me and had his arms ready to pull me into his grip. Before I could react I was crushed against his chest Bear-hug style. He pulled away and looked at me with beaming eyes, “I’m Alejandro.” I nodded my head and tried a smile. What the hell? People were swarming around me still, grabbing my hands and pounding against my back. There were congratulations shouted, and questions asked. But I couldn’t concentrate now. The only thing I could focus on was the woman in black with the flaming red hair. She glided towards Alice, and for a moment I thought she was going to kiss her again, but no, instead she drew her hand back and slapped Alice with all the force and might she had. There was a look of bravado in her eyes, but after a quick moment it disappeared and was replaced by unmistakable fear. I drug my eyes away from her face long enough to see Alice whisper something. Something that very much looked like ‘Big Mistake.’
The redhead backed away slowly, stumbling over the ‘sorrys’ and pleads. Alice tilted her chin up and looked down on the girl. With a wave of her hand, she dismissed her. It was just a simple gesture really, but anyone could see the venom swimming beneath her eyes. Alice turned her back on the girl, and began walking our way. There was still a hint of dark in her eyes, and the walk of a lioness in her step. She was brutal. She was strong. But in a single blink that side of her disappeared. Once again she was laughing and her eyes were smiling.
I shuddered. This chameleon of a woman had so many more sides, I could already tell. I just hoped I never had to find out for sure.