Saving Alice

Why Not?

“Alistar I’d love for you to meet Grace.” Alice spoke sweetly to a man with gray hair and steel eyes. He turned to me. praising my body with his cold look. I knew this look, I had seen it so many times before.
It took everything I had to not shudder.
Alistar stuck his hand out, and I took it. One shake, two shakes. He pulled away.
“What of the package?” He directed his attention to Alice once more. “What does she have to do with the order?”
Alice spoke quietly and casually, as if this were a conversation about the weather. “Nothing at all. They’re shipping that out of Mumbai Tuesday, Alijah and Marisol have it taken care of.”
The man nodded.
Alice tapped her foot impatiently. Alistar called his part and left us.
The room around us was so alive. Women everywhere were dressed head to toe in gorgeous jewelry and gowns, men were clad in tuxedos and suits. A orchestra played and people were dancing, it was like my childhood dream of Cinderella, coming true before my eyes.
If Cinderella were a drug mule, and her prince charming a drug cartel leader.
Alice scanned the crowd with piercing eyes, checking behind her every now and then.
It turned out that this party wasn't just ring members or buyers. It was an everyday gala held by one of Alice’s biggest consumers, and it just so happened he wanted us there.
Alice looked away from the crowd and rolled her eyes. Shaking her head she said “I never understood the rich. They spend their days on the verandas, drinking rum and wine, and their nights dancing away their lives.”She grinned. “I absolutely love it.”
I looked at her, her beautiful face, her perfect lips. “Why?” It was one of the first things I had said all night.
She turned to me, “Why what? Why do I love it?”
I shook my head. “No. Why did you choose this?”
I had no idea where the sudden bravado came from, but it had appeared. I wasn't letting it slip away back into silence this time.
She turned her full body towards me now, and studied me. For a moment I thought she was mad, but soon she grinned. “Well darling, you see.. Why not?”