Status: Working in tandem with It's Just Not That Simple...and also still in progress! :D

Can You Keep A Secret?

Chapter 2

"Hi! We're from downstairs!"

I gulped as I took in the sight of the four guys in front of me. The one that I had seen run ahead of me earlier in the day had just spoken, and that's when it hit me that I was legitimately living in the United Kingdom. These boys had accents, or at least the blonde one did.

A brunette with brown eyes nudged him in the arm and said "Niall, you're supposed to introduce yourself first," in a hushed whisper.

I snapped out of my daze then and blinked twice. "Hello, sorry! I'm a bit tired from moving. Would you like to come in?" I took a step back and motioned towards the living room with an open arm. As soon as the words left my mouth, my mother's face appeared in my imagination, scolding me for letting four male strangers into my flat when I was alone. Well, frick. They looked like nice guys though, so I wasn't overly worried. Plus, they were insanely gorgeous, and I hadn't even gotten a proper look at the two in the back.

"We'll if you're tired, we don't want to intrude," the polite one with brown eyes replied. He seemed ridiculously sweet, concern was flooding from his orbs.

"Oh no, I insist! It's wonderful to get to meet the neighbors!" I gestured them in and started walking back to the couch. My dogs sincerely needed a rest! "I'm Jacqui by the way," I said, looking over my shoulder with a smile. I went right back to the seat I'd been in before and watched as the guys filed in behind me.

And that's when I saw him. He looked up from the floor and his blue eyes locked into mine. It seemed like my heart was all I could hear and feel. His face zoomed in and the rest of the room blurred behind him. It only lasted a second, but it made quite the impression.

To say I was pleased when he leaned against the side table closest to me would be an understatement.

"I'm Liam." I looked back towards the tall guy who had the short hair. Good to put a name to a face. Liam. Liiiiiam! Got it.

"And I'm Niall," said the blonde guy. He smiled a little goofily and I imagined he'd be a nice cuddler. I smiled happily back at him.

A northern accent took my attention then. "I'm Zayn." What a peculiar name! Definitely easy to remember. The tan skinned, God-looking man stretched his arm out for me to shake. I took it with another smile and felt my heart beat pick up. The dreamboat was last, of course.

I watched as he ensured eye-contact before smirking and raising his eyebrows once quickly. "I'm Louis, but you can just call me yours."

I stared, gob-smacked, at him for a few seconds. Was this guy for real? My face had contorted into an expression that read 'what the frick is this guy on?' and then I heard an exasperated sigh come from behind me.

Liam spoke up, "Lou has been dying to use that for ages now. He came up with it about a week back and couldn't wait to meet someone new. Sorry you had to be at the end of it, please don't judge the rest of us by him."

I laughed lightly and turned to look back at Louis. He shrugged and winked cheekily. My heart!

"Oh yeah, no. Please don't think we're all that creepy!" Niall replied with a laugh of his own.

I heard a noise then, and looked above Louis's head to see Roxy and yet another attractive man in our apartment. “Roxy! We’ve got neighbours!" I called out to her excitedly. "This is Niall, Zayn, Liam and Louis!”

Roxy politely nodded in greeting to each of my guests and stepped aside slightly nodding towards the new guy, well newest guy. “And this is Harry, he lives downstairs and is looking for his friends.”

“And it looks like I’ve found them.” He laughed a little at that and I immediately took a liking to him. A man with a good laugh is a good man. Actually, that's not necessarily true, but this guy seemed alright, and he also seemed to be giving Roxy a lot of attention.

Speak of the devil...“That’s my roommate Jacqui," Roxy informed him. I wondered if there was anything going on between those two, what could have happened downstairs? A smile started to form on my lips as I decided I'd play Cupid, but then Roxy went and split my plans at the seams by walking back to her room! That girl, doesn't she know I'm plotting away her love life? Well, no. She doesn't at all... I can't really blame her there.

I turned back to our gorgeous guests and smiled brightly. I definitely would not mind living here...for the rest of my life. "So! Where exactly do you gents live?" I asked to no one in particular.

"Downstairs, I already told'ja!" Niall said, laughing once more. He was too gosh-darned cute!
I giggled a little and said "No, I mean which room, so I know where to go if I need a cup of sugar, or protection from creepy crawlies, or rapists."

The guys chortled and Zayn answered me. "We're all spread out on the floor beneath. Louis and Harry are directly beneath you, and Liam, Niall, and I have the remaining apartments on the floor. So basically, just go down one flight and you'll be safe." He smiled kindly and I felt my heart warm up. Roxy and I lucked out to have neighbors so welcoming and sexy and kind.

"Excellent! Good to know!" I replied with a genuine smile that reached my eyes.

I watched as Harry fidgeted with the back cushion of the sofa he'd been standing behind as I spoke with his friends (feeling Louis's eyes fixedly focused on me, making me squirm inside), and noticed that he kept glancing in the direction of Roxy's room. I knew I was right! Harry turned back towards the group and saw me staring at him. I nodded subtly that he should go and he smiled in thanks as he made his quiet exit.

The guys continued the conversation they'd been having as I watched Harry and I felt Louis move beside me. I looked up at him and his stare was intense. I wondered if he knew exactly what he was doing to me, but he played it off as if he was purely trying to read me.

I turned back to the others, reminding myself that it was impolite to stare. Well, more so than that, I was just being a flat out creep, looking at him and not saying a word. I wished I could see what was going on in that mind of his. What was he like? Did he have a girlfriend? He's so hot, there's no way he was single! Frick! Why did we have to get such beautiful taken neighbors?!

"So where exactly are you from?" Niall asked. Louis was still staring at me and I was trying not to blush.

"America! New Jersey to be exact. Did my accent give me away?" I asked with a little laugh.

Liam responded, leaning onto his forearms. "Yeah, but Canadian accents are very similar. Didn't want to offend you if you were Canadian and we just assumed you were American."

I smiled thankfully at him. "Well, I appreciate your concern, but no need to worry. I'm not easily offended."

At that time, Harry came back from Roxy's room, a look of nerves and fright strewn across his face. He looked up at me and said "She just kicked me out."

"What did you do?" I asked, perching on the edge of my cushion, concern filling me.

Harry ran a hand through his hair. "I complimented her writing," he said, mulling his experience through his head. I could tell by the serious expression on his face.

"Did you touch her writing?" I asked, eyebrows lifting.

"Well, yeah. How else would I be able to read her work?"

Go to any bookstore in the world! "Oh Harry," I said in a motherly tone. "I'm sorry you faced the Roxy Wrath. She doesn't let anyone see her stuff. Not even me sometimes, unless she really needs help from a block. I'm sorry you had to see that. Just give her a little bit of time, she'll cool off." I gave him a reassuring smile and he seemed to relax a bit.

We chatted for a little while longer, and I swear I could feel the heat radiating off of Louis's body. Maybe it was my body heating up at his nearness, but it felt like my other side was room temperature. I didn't know exactly how to talk to him, so I just made sure I was facing him for the most part and shifted subtly closer to him whenever I moved my hands or body in any way. I had no way of knowing if he was picking up on my ridiculously subtle hints, but I sincerely hoped he was. I also tried smiling with eye-contact. There was definitely a different glimmer in my eyes when I smiled at him then there was when I talked to the other guys. He must have seen it, because he was standing directly in the middle of the group, and I really didn't know how to properly flirt! I hoped it looked like I was interested in him rather than me being creepy. It reminded me a bit of the intense stare he was giving me, but less predatory and more alluring. I think the message was being conveyed, but one can never be too sure-

THAWCK!

“Come on you, I could do with food." Roxy had smacked me behind the head with a pillow and I caught it as it spiraled around my face. I prepared myself to stand once more and felt my muscles protest.

Once standing, I took the opportunity to stretch my aching body out. It was also a prime opportunity to subtly flaunt said body directly in front of Louis. I mean, what? I'd never do such a thing!

Roxy tossed me my coat as I retracted into my normal standing position. Louis hopped up from his perch on the table and grinned at my roomie and I. I feel as if a part of that was because of my non-yoga.

“We know a great little Chinese buffet about 5 minutes away from here, and we need to eat too, don’t we lads?” I watched as Louis eyed up his friends and knew he had Niall on his side. Harry looked a little skeptical, but we literally watched him steel his nerves and I could tell he was in as well. The other two stood up and followed along with the group.

Roxy opened the front door, and waited for us all to exit so she could lock up. Niall was the first out of the flat, practically running to get his coat from downstairs, shouting that his room was the furthest away. Liam and Zayn conversed about whether or not they could be bothered grabbing their coats in our makeshift line before Louis. When Louis reached the door, he turned towards me and bowed deeply.

“After you m’lady.” He gave me a devilish grin and winked again. Seriously, that boy has to stop before my heart gives! I tried to fight a blush as I gulped down my excitement. I laughed lightly at his chivalrous deed and I could feel his eyes on me as I walked past him. I can't lie, I let my hips sway just the teensiest bit more than normal. He was really hot, I couldn't help it!

I followed Zayn and Liam down the stairs when they completely bypassed jackets. Men! Fastening the buttons on my peacoat, I hesitated and turned to see Louis come out the door to our complex. He pulled a beanie from out of his pocket and secured it onto his head. Now, that boy has beautiful hair, but dang does he look fit in a hat! I bit my lip to hide my grin and looked toward the ground, putting the last button in place.

"What's the deal Prince Charming? You're quite the chivalrous one. Does your girlfriend have a thing for being a damsel in distress?" Oh my gosh, where did that come from?! Thank you flirting gods for coming to my rescue!

"Haven't got a girlfriend." Louis replied with a tight-lipped smile.

God, that accent of his! "Really? An attractive lad like you?" I said, tilting my head to the side with a coy smile. Seriously, how was I doing this? I figured I'd just roll with it, see where it takes me.

"Lad? That accent isn't supposed to say words like 'lad'. You're meant to say 'guy' or 'boy'." Louis had a really attractive teasing voice. I never knew that I could be attracted to a specific tone of voice, but there you go. This guy was perfect.

"Do you really want me to be calling you boy?" I dragged out, squishing my face in disgust. "I'll sound like a pedophile."

Louis started laughing. "Peh-doh-file," he started. "You don't say that right."

I turned to him, not knowing what I'd done wrong. "Huh?" Oh, very eloquent Jacqui. Flirting gods, where did you go?!

"It's pee-doh-file here love," he said with a welcoming smile. I swooned. He called me love. Seriously, how is a girl supposed to stay standing after that?

I gulped and shoved my hands into my pockets. Then the wind picked up a piece of my hair, so I rushed to tuck it behind my ear. I probably looked like a total spaz. Ugh! "That sounds weirder than my way. It sounds like you're taking a piss on a file." I scrunched my nose playfully in his direction and he chortled at my response.

"Well, you have a point there," he laughed out. I grinned in return and followed as he motioned to cross the street.

I looked ahead to see Liam and Zayn with their hands tucked firmly into their pockets. I don't think they were expecting the wind, but that's what you get with England, unpredictable weather. Or so I've been told.

I felt a lot of eyes on us then. Well, not a lot, but more than normal. I checked behind to see Niall waving to a little girl with her parents and it struck me as odd. Maybe they were also neighbors? Or maybe he just knew them from somewhere else.

I couldn't pinpoint Roxy and Harry, which reminded me of my Cupid-ing ways. "Hey Louis, you live with Harry, right?" I asked, facing him once more.

"Yeah...?" He drawled it out with an eyebrow raised. I thought I saw a fraction of insecurity flash in his eyes, but I continued on, wanting to get someone else in on my plan. And letting it be Louis could mean lots of one-on-one plotting sessions. Hopefully literally on...

"I think my buddy Roxy and he could make quite the couple. What do you think?" I waited for a second and watched as his face tilted upward, deep in thought.

After a second he looked back at me and said "I dunno" with a noncommittal shrug.

"Well, I saw the way he wanted to go back to her when she went in her room, and the two seemed to have a bit of chemistry." Louis grabbed my hand to lead me around the corner and my heart palpitated. "You know?"

Louis hmmed and said "I guess there's potential. It's still a bit early."

"Well yeah, they only met today!" I instantly regretted my words. "But definitely potential," I finished lamely. I'm not sure if Louis could see the mistake written all over my face, but I prayed that he didn't think it was some sort of Freudian slip.

"There absolutely is," he replied reassuringly. He threw me a comforting smile and my heart warmed once more. "The place is just up there," he pointed out, literally as well. My eyes followed his finger as I saw Zayn and Liam cross the street and jump up the curb to walk into the restaurant. Niall came zooming past us. I figured he must be starving to move that fast, or this place was very good.
Louis held open the door for me once more and I smiled as I thanked him. We caught up to the other three as they were being seated. We all thanked the host as she handed us our menus, much to Liam's pleasure.

"What do you think you're going to get?" Zayn asked as I moved to open my menu.

"Oh, I don't know. I'm open to try everything once!" I said with a smile.

Niall got a mischievous glint in his eye and exclaimed "Let's put that to the test!" He and Louis exchanged a significant look and I got a little worried that my phrasing meant a few awkward sexual jokes being sent my way. Then I worried that it might stick because this was the first time they ever met me.

"We'll have one of everything!" said Louis. I can't tell you how relieved I was to hear him say those words. I dodged that bullet!

The hostess smiled happily and took our menus back from us, bowing slightly. I smiled up at her and then turned back to the group. Louis was to my right, up against the wall. Niall was across from me, leaving the corner spot open. Liam sat on my other side with Zayn across from him and there were two spots left for Harry and Roxy next to them.

"I wonder what's taking the other two so long?" I said with a suggestive tone. If they couldn't tell what I was hinting at by that, then my eyebrows lifting in quick succession definitely did the trick.

Zayn seemed to think my idea of them being a thing was reasonable when he suggested "I say we all clap when they get here, make them feel as uncomfortable as possible." I was definitely gonna like this Zayn kid! He understood my plotting tendencies!

We followed Zayn's suggestion when the two nearly lovebirds came in and I saw Roxy's face heat up. Harry shrugged it off and pulled out her chair. I officially shipped them. I turned to Louis and shot him a glance that read 'I told you so' and watched as his eyes lit up with humor.

Eventually our food came out and it was delicious. I was completely startled at the sheer size of it all and thought that maybe British people eat more than their figures let on, but I saw Roxy's shocked look too and then realized that we were eating with 5 young guys. Their stomachs were probably never-ending pits.

We chatted as we ate, and my curiosity got to the better of me. I had to know if there was some sort of sexy man factory somewhere that made the products come out as friends. “So how’d you guys meet?” I asked my newfound buds with a friendly smile.

“Have you been living under a rock or something?” Zayn asked incredulously, a single eyebrow raised.

I frowned, worried that I was missing something due to my different culture somehow. Did all British boys have to be a part of a secret brotherhood or something? “No! I’ve been in America for the past 20 years!”

Louis leaned and whispered into my ear "So that's where you've been all my life."

My eyes darted towards him and I felt his breath hit my cheek. He started to lift the side of his lip into a smile and I absolutely had to look away. I closed my eyes and let his comment sink in for a second before shaking my head to remind myself that we weren't the only two people in the world. Though I'd like that, it would mean we'd have to repopulate...

"Here we are preparing to sign a record deal tomorrow!" Liam's words brought me back to attention. Then they hit me. These guys were in a band. Seriously? COULD THEY GET ANY SEXIER?

A smile started to form on my lips, and then I realized that they were doing exactly what I wanted to be doing. I could see what it's like to be going through the steps to stardom.

I asked them all a lot of questions, including if I could get brief overviews of their days so I could take notes for my own career. I also asked for pointers on what they thought helped give them a boost for their popularity in Simon Cowell's eyes. We bounced ideas back and forth and they were all eager to help, especially Louis. I felt hope build in my heart as my dreams started to become reality. It is possible to become big, you just have to know where to start.
♠ ♠ ♠
So here's chapter 2! I haven't written any of chapter 3 yet, and I have a boooooatload of homework to do, but I'll try my best to get more out as soon as possible. :)

Here's Louis's outfit!! Click me for visual additions to the story! Yay!!