Status: In Progress. Gets Updated with Comments.

The Lion and the Snake

Meetings

It's been a week now since that interaction between her and I, and she has become insufferable. Every time she saw me, she started to grin and wave at me, called out my name and tried to strike up conversation again. I did my best to ignore her, walking the other way when I saw her, not looking at her or even acknowledging that she existed, but she just continued. "Can this girl not take a hint?"

"You mean that Ballard girl? She does seem to have it our for you, doesn't she?" I looked up to see Shadow, the youngest of my brother's lean against the railing I had been standing next to.

"Yes, that she does."

"What did you do to her? Gave her some love potion? Or maybe a jinx that went wrong?"

I rolled my eyes at my younger brother. "I exchanged one civil word with her, now she's like a dog that you've thrown a bone to," I sighed again and watched as she slowly pushed her way through the crowd towards me. "Well, I have to go now" I said softly and started heading in the opposite direction of where the girl came from.

"Sky! Sky! Wait up!" I heard the girl call out behind me, but I ignored her. However, I seem to have been slower then usual, as Ballad had soon caught up with me and took a hold of my wrist, forcing me to a stop. "Why are you running away from me?" she asked, I could see fury brewing in her eyes.

I looked at her and looked behind her, where I could see my brother watching curiously. "Why wont you leave me alone?" I hissed.

She looked at me, a bit taken aback. "I…"

"You?" I looked at her struggling to get the words out and looked past her again at my brother, he was still looking intrigued. Cursing myself inwardly, I squared my shoulders, "You thought that we were friends now, just because I had a conversation with you? Just because I didn't run around telling everybody that you are scared of little bunny rabbits? Don't kid yourself. I am Skyla Slytherin, daughter of Salazar Slytherin and a pureblood. Why ever would I want to spend time with a mudblood like you, Gwenevere Ballard?"

Gwenevere stared at me shocked. Mudblood was one of the rudest and hurtful words known to the wizarding world and a lady such as myself would normally not use it, but it was essential that Gwenevere understood that I could and would not be friendly with her again, at least not in public. It would ruin my reputation and me. "But… But…"

"But. But," I rolled my eyes, "Face it Ballard, I am out of your league even as friends." Again my eyes wondered to where my brother had stood, just a minute ago, but he was gone. I looked around a bit more, but he had vanished out of sight. Instead, I saw one of his cronies walk over to me. "Look," I swiftly whispered as long as the boy was still out of earshot. "I am sorry for being this harsh, but you can't talk to me in public…" I let the last sentence trail away as my brother's crony stood next to us.

"What do you want?" I spat at him.

"Master Shadow asked me to look if you were alright," he answered. I looked him up and down. It was Sir Henry, a pureblood wizard under my father's teachings, not very high up in the social world around us, but a Slytherin pupil nonetheless.

"I am just peachy, thank you sir. I was just finishing my conversation with Lady Ballard," I looked back at her, she still looked hurt, but I could see the Gryffindor in her coming through with resolve.

I moved to stalk past her, when her arm shot out and grabbed mine forcefully. "Same time, same place," she muttered under her breath and let go of my arm when Sir Henry closed in on her to force her away from me.

I locked my jaw and glared at her. "Keep away from me," I repeated threateningly before walking off, the crony following in my wake.

This girl was stupid and senseless. Did she not know what repercussions her actions could have? Laying hands on a Founders child… she could be expelled for that. And wanting to met her again? What if Henry heard what she said? Of course I hadn't told anyone of the unlocked classroom with the boggart inside, but they could easily find it. And they could easily figure out when we had met the first time as well. Hadn't I been late for a meeting at the library that day?

It was a stupid idea. But why was I finding myself planning my route and my excuse to be alone for that time? Why did I find myself looking forward to seeing her again? There was just one explanation. I was just as stupid as her and that didn't sit well with me. I was resolved not to give into my desire, to stay intelligent and strong. Just wait it out. It would resolve all my problems, Gwenevere would stop trying to get close to me, I would be able to go back to studying and becoming one of the greatest witches of our time.

I was sitting in the library, trying to research a couple summoning spells, but my head wasn't in it. All the time, my head wandered towards the door that stood open on the other side of the room. Was it time yet? Was Gwenevere already in that classroom, waiting for her to come?

All of a sudden her resolve evaporated. She quickly jumped up from her table that she had occupied alone and gathered up her books with a swift movement of her wand, making them all reappear in the places she had got them from. Then she rushed out of the door and down the corridor. She tried to look as inconspicuous and unhurried as possible, but her heart was beating hard. Step for step she closed in on the classroom she had first talked to Gwenevere and looked around. Again, no one was in this corridor. Slowly she pushed at the door and slithered through it when the opening was just broad enough to let her through.

As she silently closed the door behind her, a hand roughly pushed her against the wooden door. "What was that today?" Gwenevere's voice hissed into her ear. I could feel one of her hands running down my left arm and tucking away my wand that I had placed in my sleeve again.

"Gwenevere get off of me, or I swear to you," I said in a calm voice. I felt the rough wood underneath my cheek and her arm pinning me down at the back of my neck. I was very uncomfortable with the other girl using her full body weight on my back to keep me pressed on the door.

"Or what? You'll tell your brothers? Call me mudblood again? Scream? Tell me, what will you do?"

"This," I stated simply and used my hands to push against the door. I might be a lady, but I still grew up with three siblings – two of which were brothers – and I had never been the weakling of the family. Startling her with the fact that I was not pressed against the door anymore, I quickly ducked down and turned around facing her. I then looked at one of the chairs that stood behind her and pulled it towards me with the power of my mind. When it hit her knees, she buckled and fell down onto it. Quickly I rushed forward and held her in that position with my knee on top of her legs. I leaned in further, looking her into the eyes and snatched away both her and my wand from her grasp, throwing them both to one side of the room.

"How?" she said, looking at me in shock.

"You said it yourself, I am one of the most powerful witches in this castle."

"But without a wand?"

"Wands are just outlets for our magic. Why else do you think children can do spells without even owning one?"

Gwenevere looked at me in awe, "you truly are amazing."

I laughed, "whatever," and let go off her, moving myself off her body and walking a few steps away to our wands. Picking them up, I turned around and held out hers. "What is it?"

"What is what?"

"The wand. What type is it?"

"Rosewood with dragon heartstring," she said, looking at her wand lovingly.

"Good combination," I said nodding. "Mines Alder with Phoenix feather."

She looked up at me, curiously. "Are we really going to talk about wands?"

I smiled at her. "I don't know. What are we going to talk about?"

"I still want to know, what was that today? No, not today, the last few days! I only ever saw your back because you ran away from me! Even the classes we had together, you made sure to always be surrounded by your Slytherin followers."

My face fell a bit. "What did you expect me to do? Drop all I'm doing, all I've worked for, all my family has worked for and talk to you?"

She was silent. "I at least thought you would still recognize me as a person… but you don't even glance my way any more. How can our non-existent relationship have degraded after talking?"

I frowned at the girl. "I'm sorry for treating you like this," I told her truthfully. "I just don't know what to do. You stand for everything my family is fighting against in this world. Moreover, you know that I cannot just defy my family and you know that I will not do that. I love them, even with their eccentric views."

"I would never want you to deny your family!" Gwenevere quickly said, seeing that this was not going good for her.

"But you are. If I publicly display you as a friend I would be doing just that. Denying my family and the cause they fight for. You know my feelings for you. You've been watching me blush under your gaze long enough. But that does not change anything. I'm sorry." I turned to walk out of the door again.

"Then how about we meet like this? I wont ever talk to you in public again, I just don't want this to be the end." She called after me, just before I reached the door.

I froze, closing my eyes. I could feel a smile broadening my lips. "You will be the death of me, you know that, right?" I said, turning back to face her.

She grinned back, "Only if I can't prevent it."
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think? Please comment!