Status: In Progress. Gets Updated with Comments.

The Lion and the Snake

Chess

The halls of the castle were illuminated by the flickering light of hundreds of torches, simultaneously warming the corridors to a cosy warmth. I was heading towards the Slytherin common room together with McFarrin to play the game of chess I had promised to her.

Knowing her place, she was walking one step behind me, so I only heard the soft footfalls of her steps. However, suddenly the soft sound of her steps halted when we came to an intersection. Slightly confused, I stopped as well and turned around. She was now standing five steps behind me, watching me carefully.

"Why did you invite me to a game of chess?" she suddenly asked, her eyes narrowing as she looked me over.

"Why wouldn't I?" I retorted.

"I've been thinking this whole time..." she said, a slight frown forming on her forehead.

"What the whole minute since we left the great hall? Who would have thought you capable," I said rolling my eyes. I know that probably wasn't my best idea, but I was still annoyed with Gwen and the boy she let grope her.

The blond smiled stiffly at my comment. "Yes... I've been thinking about the invitation..."

"And what did you conclude?"

"For some reason, you want me to stay quiet about the spell you sent towards the Gryffindor table. Your brother had looked quite intrigued about my comments."

I clenched my jaw at her words and rolled my eyes at her before turning back around and continuing my walk towards the common room. "Interesting idea, but in no way true," I said slowly, knowing she would start to follow me again. "You were just a convenient excuse to leave the table. I felt a bit crowded."

I didn't slow down, but was relieved when I heard the footsteps of the girl start up again. She rushed quickly so that she would be walking close to me again. She was quiet again and when I glanced behind at her, I saw that she was still mulling her thoughts over. Biting my lips I added: "However, if you would be so gracious and not repeat what you observed to my brother I would be... grateful."

The rest of the way to the common room was quiet. None of us said a word until we stood in front f the patch of wall concealing the Slytherin quarters. "Wolfsbane," McFarrin said softly, motivating the wall to start moving and opening up for the two of us.

Quietly the two of us moved into the common room and headed towards the chessboard that occupied one of the corners of the room. The quarters of the Slytherin house were eerily quiet, as all the occupants still immersed themselves with the dinner in the great hall. The windows glowed with an calming green light from the lake and as I sat down on my usual chair next the the big glass windows, sighing in content as I watched the calming flow of the algae, they flowed softly swaying along the streams of water reminding me silently of the swaying hips of Gwen when she had walked in front of me. As McFarrin sat down in front of me I was interrupted from my soft dreaming and looked at her. She had moved the chessboard so that the white side was facing her.

"Wolfsbane, its an interesting password, isn't it?" she asked slowly as she moved her first pawn in my direction. I didn't respond, but moved my arm softly indicating my pawn to move as well. "Wolfsbane... its an important concept in this world of ours." I raised my eyebrows at her as she smiled at me and made another move on the chessboard. "Its a poisonous plant that can kill instantly and yet we seek it out for our most precious potions."

"Its a double edged sword," I said indulging her. She was trying to get somewhere and I wasn't sure I was fond of that fact.

"True... but the perks it has... Nearly to good to pass up."

I frowned at her before looking back on the chessboard. She was a surprisingly good player. Already she had eliminated a couple of my pawns and I saw that she was about to eliminate one of my bishops. Swiftly I moved it to safety.

"That request you made of me before, about not telling your brother..." I inhaled for a long time, nearly forgetting that the air needed to get out again. "Its also very intriguing."

"Why is that?"

"For as a lonesome incident, it would not result in such interest."

I stopped in the middle of my move and looked at her. "That is of no concern to you."

She stopped as well and stared at me. "Its true then, isn't it?"

"What is true?"

"There is more to it."

"To what?"

"You know there have been rumours flying around."

"Rumours? Its the same as gossip, mainly unimportant lies."

"True, but sometimes there are kernels of truth there as well."

"So what rumours are you talking about?"

McFarrin smiled. "Oh nothing much really."

"Tell me."

"Its just that your brother has been very interested in your movements lately. He seems to have an inkling that you are doing something... interesting."

I laughed. "How ever could I be doing something interesting when no one ever lets me do anything?"

McFarrin smiled as well. "That is the intriguing part." Slowly her eyes wondered over the chessboard and she moved one of her pawns slowly. "You like her," she said softly, before adding "check."

"Huh?" I asked nonchalantly, looking down at the chess board that was spread out in front of me quite intently. How did she get me into this position. Her queen was about to beat my king, but then again I was slightly distracted. What did she mean with her words? I could feel her eyes upon me and keeping my face expressionless I made my move before looking up at her.

"I know that you like her," she said calmly.

I frowned at her, not looking at the game any more. "Like who?"

"Ballard," she answered as she moved her piece on the chessboard. "Check mate," she added with a grin.

I was starring at her, my face stone-like in its appearance. Only small twitch in my eye betrayed my body. Like a leopard she pounced onto me, the grin broadening on her face. "I've seen you two meeting. In that classroom on the seventh floor, tonight, just before dinner."

"I don't know what you are talking about," I said coldly any emotion that had prior been in my voice gone.

"Oh, I think you do."

How could this have happened? It had only been our first meeting after I ignored her for such a long time. How could she know? How could she see? In my head I went over the events again. I had been in the library... McFarrin had been sitting a few tables over from me, watching me as I had stuffed my work into my bag and rushed out of the door... she must have followed me.

I looked back down at the chessboard, where my king lay in pieces. A pawn that I had not seen had crushed him silently. My lips twitched at the irony - run from the queen and get beaten by a pawn...

"What do you want?"

"Not much," McFarrin said with a content sigh. "Just a favour here and there."

"And why would I do that? Nobody would believe you."

"Ah, I wouldn't be so sure. Your brother did seem very intrigued tonight..." I looked at her coldly, an eyebrow raised. "Is that not enough? Hmmm... I was sure it would be, for even the rumour alone could ruin you. But I also have prove if anyone asked for it..." she smiled pointing at her head. Taking out her wand, she slowly swirled it next to her temple and a thin sliver of silver memories started to be dragged out. "The things I saw..."

My eyes widened. "You wouldn't dare!" I growled standing up and leaning over the table snatching at the memory. It quickly disappeared back into her skull.

"I'm a slytherin. What do you think?"

I glared at the blond girl in fury, thinking of all the hurt I could let her endure when suddenly I heard the tell-tale sound of the wall moving aside and the chattering of returning Slytherins entering the room. Gripping the table hard, I sat back down on my chair struggling to make my tense muscles loosen up again.

The blond smiled at me happily. "Want to play another game?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the long wait, I wasn't quite sure how to move this chapter along... what do you think? Please comment!