Be My Little Earthquake.

Chapter 6: A Thousand Worries High

Joel made himself lunch a few hours later from the things he bought from the store, a small flimsy sandwich for himself and a larger one that he put in the fridge for his father. Changing into a pair of sweats he decided to get his things ready for school tomorrow. He pulled out his flimsy black bakpack and began filling it with the things he used at his old school. After claiming that that was all he needed to do he plugged in his headphones and stared up at the ceiling. 
And the only thing on his mind as his eyes closed was the girl next door.

***
River-

River held the razor in her hands tightly, her emotions battling each other as if there was something keeping her from putting it to use. Another tear came cascading down her cheek but she wiped it away. Setting the object down she fell on her bed in a fit of sobs, she was exhausted. She had a fun time with Joel, but the stress of everything else was controlling her. Maybe if she didn't get to know Joel she could just end everything and he wouldn't even care.

But he would. From talking to him she could tell the type of person he was, someone who dis care. He was the sweet, troubled boy she knew he was.

And there was something about him.

With one final yawn she turned on her side, nustling her face into her pillow and letting the remaining tears drip onto it.

-

The next morning River woke up, changing her shirt to the Pierce The Veil shirt she treasured dearly, situating the beanie on her head and pulled on her black skinny jeans. She glance to the picture of herself that was hanging on the wall as she entered the kitchen. The one with with big smile and the bubble wand. She loved that picture, but she's changed a bit since then. Her hair had various streaks of a red-pink color, including her tips and a nose ring drawing attention to her face. She "punked-up." as her mother called it. 

River opened the door to see Joel leaving his home and with a smile on her face she waved for him to come over, she figured he didn't know the way to school so she walked alongside him, talking once again as ventured to school.

***

The school itself was rather impressive. It was large, well kept and seemed to be rather easy for Joel to find his way around in. 

"So how are the people here?"

"Um. Staffs nice, kids are horrible. Well to me at least." Joels stomach churned, but he pretended that he didn't notice it. He was worried. He could protect himself, the bullying at his old school was pretty bad, he just didn't want to relive it.

"Why?" He said, registering back into the real world, picking up his schedule from the office and following River to the lockers.

"I used to date one of jocks, he broke up with me and told everyone I cheated on him. One year later and I'm still hated for it. And other just like making fun of me and shoving me into lockers." She looked down at her notebook. "Um? What's your locker number?" She said quickly, trying to change the subject. Joel frowned, he wanted to talk about it, but decided he wouldn't pester her and ask her more next time she brought it up. 

"Um, 297." Grabbing his wrist she led him down the hall to what was supposedly his locker. Dialing the combination she let go to start on her locker which was right next to his. 

He took out the few things he needed and shoved his backpack inside, looking to River for what else to do. 

"Um first class?"

"Sweeney?" She grinned. 

"Thats my class, come on!" And with another tug on his wrist the two randomly frolicked down the hallway to English.