Status: I'M BACK

Break My Fall

8

I went wondering around trying to locate Daryl so we can have this talk he seemed that he so badly wanted to have. I knew what was coming, just because the group accepted my brothers in didn't exactly mean that Daryl did. I didn't really understand why he was getting so worked about this. I'll admit I was starting to form a bit of a crush myself on Daryl but there was no way he was developing one back....Maggie had to be out of her mind. Daryl just needed to accept the fact that my brothers were staying and that was final. If they go, so do I.

After aimlessly walking around for ten minutes I decided to ask around if anyone had seen him.

"Carol...." I approached her knowing for sure she would have an answer for me. I mean she was the only other person really communicated with on a daily basis.

"Yeah, Claire? You need help with something?" she responded with some worry in her voice.

"I was wondering if ye seen Daryl around? He said he wanted to talk to me or something...." I shifted back and forth on my feet.

Carol put down the canned goods and backpack she was rummaging through to wipe her hands on her pants, "I think I saw him head towards the watch tower not too long ago."

I nodded my head to her and turned to walk out the door in the direction of the guards towers.

"Claire!"

I turned around quickly to make eye contact with Carol again, she had a little smile on her face. She walked towards me and took a hold of my hand.

"I'm so happy for you that you found your family, whether it was in a jail or not, they are accepted here. Just keep them close....I don't want you to go through what I had to...."

Referencing back to her daughter Sophia. I wasn't around for what happened but I had heard stories.

"Thank ya Carol, it really means a lot to me." I smiled back at her and gave her hand a tight squeeze before letting go and heading towards the door to get outside.

I stepped into the hot Georgia air and had to put a had up to my eyes to create a visor from the sun. I looked around and could only spot the living dead....no Daryl. I letting out a long sigh before dropping to my hand back to my side and started to head towards the field. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a walker that was throwing itself against the fence drop to the ground, with an arrow through the eye. I looked around and looked up to the nearest guard tower covering my eyes back up with my hand. He stared back at me then turned around and headed back into the tower. I let out another sigh and headed for the door really dreading what was about to happen. When I finally reached the top the door was already open.

"Daryl?" I slowly stepped inside and looked around. There he was sitting on the ground with his back pressed against the wall, crossbow balanced between his knees. Dirt was caked to his face and sweat had his hair going in all different directions. When he didn't respond I kept talking.

"Look...I know ye not too big a fan of my brothers and what they did but ye have to understand they did it to protect me...not only me but a whole city. A city of men, women, and children that couldn't protect themselves. The group has already accepted them in but I need you to accept them too Daryl. Ye just as important to me as they are. Please don't make me choose...." I let my eyes drop from him to the ground as I leaned up against the opposite wall and slid down till I felt my butt touch the ground. "per favore..." (please) I quietly muttered.

I was silent for what felt like an eternity. I kept my eyes on my scuffed up boots, taking in every line.

"Whats tha mean?" Daryl finally broke the silence.

I looked up to make eye contact with the beautiful icy blue eyes. "Please...", I muttered again, "in italian.", a small smirk came to his face and disappeared as quickly as it came.

"Our mother...she wanted us to know many different languages." I informed him.

"What else can ya speak?" he questioned.

I took a deep sigh and thought for a second glancing up at the ceiling, "Latin, Russian, Spanish, French, German, Gaelic, and Italian."

"What the fuck is Gaelic?"

I chuckled thinking about the first time my brothers and I met Paul, "Irish boyo."
________________________________________________________________________
“So, how is it that you guys are fluent in Russian?” Paul questioned after a bit of joking around.

“We paid attention in school.” Connor responded with humor

“Know any other languages?” Paul continued.

Murphy responded this time, “Aye. Our mother insisted on it.”

He turns to look at Connor and I, “Comment pensez-vous qu'il a figuré tout cela sans parler de nous?” (How do you think he figured all this out without talking to us?)

Connor looked back at him, “Non ne ho idea. Forse qualcuno ha visto e parlato.” (I have no idea. Maybe someone saw and talked.)

I giggled for a second and looked back at Paul as the boys blew cigarette smoke from their mouths, “Nicht in unserer Nachbarschaft, man. Ein hundert Prozent Iren. Niemand spricht mit Polizisten. Periode.” (Not in our neighborhood, man. A hundred percent Irish. No one talks to cops. Period.)

They both laughed and Connor started to wave his cigarette in Paul’s direction, “Entonces supongo que es sólo de verdad ... muy bien.” (Then I guess he's just real... real good.)

Everyone erupts in a fit of giggles as Paul stares at us with a big smile on his face, “ What are you guys doing working at a fucking meat packing plant?”

All they could do is turn to look at 14 year old me then back to Paul….
______________________________________________________________________________

He shook his head back and forth, "Goldie Locks...I'm happy ya found your brothers. I really am, don't get me wrong. Still jus tryna wrap my head around everything I guess."

"Daryl...." I started, "I know what ya thinking but think of it in my perspective. If it was Merle ya would be thinking the same way I do...."

There was another long silence. These need to stop, I am not a fan of these long periods of silence since the dead started walking, too much silence all the time.

"I feel ya. I'm just looking out for the group. For you, Carol, Carl, everyone. Ya gotta be on your toes these days around everyone and anything. Ya never know what you can run into."

The groans started to get louder outside but we both ignored it. "I-".

"Daryl! Claire! Where y'all at?" Glenn voice rang out.

"Guess thats our queue." I got up to my feet and stretched a hand out to Daryl, "Lets get out of here boyo."
♠ ♠ ♠
Holy crap guys.....all I can say is....I'm back.
Not sure how often updates be but they will happen!
I know this one is weak but bear with me here. PLEASE COMMENT, IT'LL MAKE ME WANT TO WRITE MORE.