Status: Complete

Hit The Ground

One & Only

He was late again. On our anniversary no less. So there I was waiting for Tyler on our couch in front of the TV. I knew the game had ended three hours ago and he was probably out with Brad, even though he promised he would come straight home. It was one of the many promises he had broken as of late and I was getting fed up. I had been dating Tyler for two years as of today. We grew up as neighbors and as best friends, we had the cliché best friends realize they love each other thing going on. We had our first everything together, first kiss, first time, first love. But lately he was changing, he was breaking promises, coming home late, and I had the distinct feeling he was cheating on me. I wasn’t a hundred percent sure, but I was pretty close. I couldn’t stand it anymore though, I wasn’t going to be that pathetic girlfriend. I got up off the couch and stepped over Marshall, so I could grab my phone. I called the first person who came to mind. Jonathan Toews. I had met Jon at some NHL fundraiser due to him and Tyler both knowing Patrick Kane. Jon and I talked pretty much the whole night, much to Tyler’s displeasure, and we are really close friends now. I dialed his number hoping he would answer.
“Hey Lex!” Jon answered. He sounded pretty tired, but that was expected.
“Hey Jon, sorry if I woke you.” I replied immediately, guilt building up.
“Nah, its fine. I always have time for you.” He said with a deep chuckle. I walked into the kitchen and sat on the counter.
“Ummm Jon, I think Ty is cheating on me.” By that time the tears had started to flow and I was in the midst of a breakdown. I could hear Jon talk to someone around him, most likely Kane since they usually share a room.
“What would make you think that Lex? Tyler loves you, and you know that.” He didn’t sound that convinced though. I’m taking that as a not so good sign. I was silent for a moment before replying. “I think I’m going to leave Boston. Maybe go visit my family in Brampton for a bit.” I said while sniffling. I got up off the counter and walked to the computer and turned it on. The computer lit up with the background of me and Ty on the ice with Lord Stanley raised over our heads. We looked so happy there, I don’t understand how we turned into what we were now. I quickly logged on to the website for American Airlines and began looking at flight info.
“ Lex how about you come stay with me in Chicago? I have plenty of room and we haven’t seen each other in a while. Plus you could get away from everyone for a bit. I think it’ll be good for you.” Jon said almost pleadingly. I wasn’t sure what to do. I defiantly didn’t want to stay in Boston, but if I went to stay with Jon, my relationship with Ty would definitely be called into question. I started to bite my nails, a nervous and bad habit.
“Jon….. Are you sure? I don’t want to cause any problems or be an inconvenience. Plus are you even home right now?” I asked hesitantly. I couldn’t believe my choice. But I felt that it was the right one.
“I’m positive, and I’m flying back tomorrow early in the morning. So I’ll be home by the time you arrive.” It was settled then, I would go stay with Jon.
“Okay then. I will book my flight and pack and then head out to the airport. Thanks Jon, I really owe you.” I said while I began booking my flight. I would have to call Tyler as soon as I got off the phone with Jon. He may be cheating, but he doesn’t deserve me just disappearing, we were best friends once after all.
“No problem Lex. I’ll see you soon and be safe. I’m excited to see you. Bye Lex.” His tone was considerably lower at the last couple of words and for some reason I felt heat rise into my cheeks.
“Bye Jon.” I said before hanging up. I finished booking the flight to Chicago, and went upstairs to pack my bags with Marshall following me the whole time. I think I would miss him the most. I packed everything I would need, and then I sat on the bed and looked around the room. I was leaving. There were so many memories of me and Tyler in this room. Not all of them were happy, but most of them were. Well, it was time to call Tyler and tell him I was leaving. I dialed his number and waited, I almost expected him to not answer when I heard him pick up.
“Heyyy Lexxy!!!” He slurred obviously drunk out of his mind. “Where are you baby? I miss you!” I could hear the sounds of loud music through the phone and maybe even the sound of some girls giggling.
“I’m at home Ty…. You didn’t show up again. I can’t do this anymore Tyler, I can’t stay at home with you out God knows where, getting drunk with other girls.” I told him, as tears welled up in my eyes.
“Well, I’m sorry I’m young and want to have fun. Don’t be such a jealous bitch!” He replied angrily. “And yeah I get drunk with other girls, because they know how to have fun, unlike you! And maybe I like to have sex with them ‘cause they’re not boring as fuck in bed!” These words broke my heart. By this time I was completely bawling my eyes out. I was done.
“I’m leaving Tyler. I’m going to stay with Jon for awhile.” There was silence on the other end of the line. Then he spoke.
“Toews?!?! You’re fucking leaving me for Toews?!! I knew you liked him! I knew you were cheating on me with him! Well I don’t need you, whore. I’ve got plenty of girls who want me, and I guarantee they’ll be better than you.” He spat angrily. By this time I was completely done.
“Well Tyler have a good fucking life. You deserve it, and no I never cheated on you with Jon. But I realize now that maybe I should’ve.” With that I hung up the phone and wiped my eyes. I grabbed my suitcase and began to walk down the stairs. I fed Marshall for the last time, grabbed my shoes, and went to the elevator. On my way down I felt like I had left a part of myself in the condo. Me and Tyler had been best friends since kindergarten, hell our parents started to secretly plan our wedding when we turned 18. And it was all over. I walked over to my Range Rover, another present from Tyler. I would leave it here in Boston, I wouldn’t dare take it to Chicago. I threw my suitcase in the back, climbed in the front seat and started the car. As I pulled out, there was this song that came on the radio, it was called Hit The Ground and it was by some band called The Big Pink. It fit my mood perfectly and caused tears to flood my eyes again. I was waiting at the light when I dazed off, only to hear the car behind me honking. The light had turned green and I hadn’t moved. I accelerated into the intersection, I suddenly heard the unmistakable sound of screeching tires and saw lights through my side window. Then everything went black.
Tyler’s POV
I woke up in bed with a massive hangover. God, I must’ve went at it last night. It took me a minute to realize Lexy wasn’t in bed next to me like she usually was. Then it hit me: She had left. She left me for Jonathan Fucking Toews. The one girl I had loved more than anything left me, and it was all my fault. I grabbed my phone off the bedside table and noticed I had 20 missed calls 18 voicemails and 15 text messages. The calls were a mix from Marchy and some unknown number, but there were a couple from Lexy’s mom which was weird. My phone started ringing and it was Brad so I picked up.
“Yo Brad, what’s up with all the calls man?” I asked jokingly. “You miss me that much?” Brad was silent for a moment. I could hear him sigh. I was suddenly hit with worry.
“Hey Segs, are you sitting down?” He asked in a pitiful tone. Sitting down? What was going on.
“Yeah I’m sitting down. What the hell is going on dude?” I questioned him. He took a deep breath and began talking.
“Tyler, Lexy was in an accident last night. A driver ran a red light and crashed into her. She’s in the hospital and I’m so so sorry Segs, but they don’t think she’s going to make it.” My heart stopped. She wasn’t going to make it. She was going to die. The last time I had talked to her I had called her a whore and admitted to cheating on her. This was my fault.
“W-what hospital is she at?” I asked him as I began to get up. I didn’t care about my hangover or that I was in my pajamas. I had to see her. She had to wake up.
“She’s at ……………. I’ll come and get you Segs, don’t move.” Brad spoke in a serious tone before hanging up. I didn’t think I could move if I wanted to. I was in shock. Brad was at the condo within ten minutes and he ushered me into the car. The drive to the hospital was silent. When we got there I went to the reception desk and asked where Lexy was. She led us to a separate waiting room for ICU patients. There were only a couple other people in there, and they all looked sad, like they knew their loved one would die no matter what. I sat in one of the chairs and zoned out. I just kept thinking about the last words I said to her. I felt the guilt welling up inside me and felt like I was going to explode. Suddenly the double doors in the room opened, and a male doctor walked out. He looked tired and stressed, like he was about to give someone very upsetting news. I knew he was going to give it to me, it was just one of those feelings.
“For Lexany Michaels?” He spoke and looked around the room. I stood up and walked over to him.
“I’m her boyfriend. Please tell me she’s okay.” I pleaded with him. He looked at me and slowly shook his head.
“Ms. Michaels has internal bleeding in her brain. We tried everything we could and all we can do now is keep her under. She has little chance of ever waking up. We don’t expect that she will last much longer. I am so very sorry.” He looked at me with pity. My world came crashing down. I didn’t know what to do. “There’s something else,” He looked at me as if making sure I could handle what he was about to say.
“Ms. Michaels was one month pregnant. The baby died upon impact. I know this is hard, son. But would you like to see her on last time?” She was pregnant. With my baby. My baby died. She was leaving with my baby to stay with Toews. If I hadn’t gone out, she would be alive and so would my baby. I felt my throat close up.
“Yeah.. I want… I want to see her please.” He nodded and led me through the doors and stopped in front of her room.
“Take all the time you need, son.” And with that he left me. I slowly walked into the room and saw he laying there on the bed. She looked small and pale. I couldn’t believe that this was her. The same girl I grew up with, who I fell in love with, the girl who I was going to ask if she would marry me. My life was shattered in the matter of a day. I couldn’t help but stare at her stomach and think how good of a mother she would’ve been. I sat next to her bed and cried. I think I cried for a hour. I talked to her about everything while I was crying, I spoke about how our lives would’ve been, how it was growing up with her, and all my favorite memories of her. The door opened and the doctor came in. He looked at me and gave a sad smile.
“It’s time. You have to let her go.” He spoke quietly. I nodded and kissed her forehead on last time.
“I love you Lex. I’m so sorry.” I whispered to her. I watched the doctor shut off all of the machines. She breathed on her own for about 30 seconds, then the heart monitor flat lined. She was gone. My life was over. Someone had to call Toews.
Jon’s POV
I was sitting on my couch waiting for a call from Lex. I was so happy she was coming to stay with me. I could finally have my chance and prove how much I loved her. Tyler was a jerk to her and she deserved better. My heart sped up as I heard my phone ring. But it wasn’t Lex… It was Seguin. Why the hell would he be calling?
♠ ♠ ♠
First story, so don't be too harsh!! Please comment!!
XOXO
Emily