Status: Hey, I've decided to start from scratch and actually write about a story that really hit hard for me. The host has to be the best book I have ever read in my entire existence on this Earth. You might of guessed that I'm a huge fan. This is a fanfiction about how Wanderer reacts to her new self and b

Die for Her

Accepted~

The humans now sort of accepted me and Sunny for who we were. Except for the obvious ones like Maggie and Sharon. They still didn't trust us like they did the others. I felt sad for Melanie not being as welcomed as she should because of me but I've learnt through the weeks and months we spent as one that I couldn't change that. Well, I could but I needed to make up my mind first. A part of me thinks that I left it too late. That I should have give her herself back sooner but a part of me liked having her around back then. We started out as enemies but now we are siblings. Sisters. Connected. Equals. Combined as one. Even after the change, we still depend on each other kind of like we used to do. Say, if we needed to ask for the others view on somethings or maybe just their comfort, we'd always be there for one another. I think Ian and Jared were a little jealous of our friendship, as we spent nearly all the hours of the day together. Ian and I didn't hang around each other as much as me and Melanie did but that was kind of the same for Jared and Melanie too. Jamie was still the glue that held us all in place and without him, we'd be lost...

I don't think the bond between us, us being me and Melanie, could ever break. No matter what happens between us, after everything we've been through, everything we've dealt with together, I really don't see how anyone can ever come between us and it's the same for her. Even though we both love Jamie, Jared and I Ian, the bond and friendship between me and her is still stronger. It's kind of strange because I've always wanted a sister and a part of me always felt like she was more family than a friend even when we hated each other. Well, not hated exactly. It was merely just angst at the other for having to put up with each other's voice in our head. I think it was the independence we missed back then. Not being able to think or act for yourself without the other either diverting the plan completely, or screaming at you not to. Ironic isn't it? How the thing that bugged us so much beforehand is actually the reason we love each other so damn much! I really cant imagine living without Melanie now. That was the reason I wanted to release her from that awful prison in the first place. Not a literal prison but just as bad I suppose...

Weird as it seems, but sometimes, I still feel like we're connected somehow and it feels like just the same as before. Sometimes, late at night, I'd be struggling with a decision to make and I'd sworn that I heard her in the back of my mind again and what was weird was, that the next day, Melanie gave me the same confused, surprised looks as I was probably giving her. It was as if she heard my voice too. Probably just a coincidence, but it was sort of strange when it happened. Her voice was so clear and the things she said made sense for the situation. I can recall the first time it happened and I remember now how it freaked me out so much. It was just that the fear in her voice, made me believe that she had heard me too! This didn't seem right at the time but I'll get onto that soon...

"Hey, Wanda! Hey, Ian!" Jamie shouted from behind us as we were walking to our room. I turned around first, hugging him tight when he got to us. Ian soon turned after I did. "Hey, Jamie! So, what you up to?" Jamie shook his head with delight "you have to come along Wanda! You too Ian, you just really have to come with me! It's so cool!" Ian glanced over to me and nodded at the same time I did. Jamie smiled at this and I took his hand in mine, letting Ian take my other...

We walked, nearly ran actually, towards the game room where we'd had the trials that time. Gosh! It was so different now. No one exactly trying to kill me and rip my throat out. It felt nice. This new feeling of completeness and safety. Ian squeezed my hand as we neared, remembering the awkward happenings here like I did. We were so instinct. We heard the quiet murmurs and whispers coming from the game room ahead of us. All the noise and the buzz of the place made me nervous. I think Ian noticed my quivering as he pulled me closer to him, wrapping his arm around my shoulder "it's fine Wanda, trust me." His soothing, relaxing voice made me calm and more at ease. He really is my anchor...

"How are you then Wanda?" Jeb asked in our direction as we entered the game room. "Oh, I didn't realize Ian was coming along too, well, it makes sense I suppose. I never see you two apart these days." Me and Ian exchanged an intriguing look as Jeb said this. Both of us knowing that he was right. The only time I didn't see Ian was when I was with Melanie or Jamie but usually, we'd all be together nearly all of the day anyway. Me, Ian, Jared, Melanie, Kyle, Sunny and Jamie. Kyle and Ian got along better now, acting more like brothers now rather than enemies...

I nodded towards Jeb, only just remembering his question "I'm fine thanks Jeb" and smiled in his direction. He smiled back, putting on his curious smile again, as if he was interested in me or something about me. I ignored the feeling of his eyes on me, as it gave me a little discomfort and paranoia. He finally smiled his usual, general way and turned to Jamie "aren't you s'posed to be in lesson Jamie?" Jamie looked down at his shoes and nodded "but Jeb..." Jeb interrupted him before he could finish "no Jamie. Go back to lessons, now." Jamie nodded again, more solemnly this time and turned for the exit. Jeb waited until he had gone out of sight until he continued...

"So, we all know why we're here" he glanced in mine and Ian's direction "well, apart from you Wanda but you'll understand once I explain." He checked to see my response at his sudden announcement and smiled, happy with my interest in his speech. "We are currently conducting some experiments regarding the souls and how they can... change." I looked at him, shocked now. What on Earth did he mean by "change?" I cringed, remembering all the previous experiments I'd witnessed before in Doc's hospital and Ian hugged me closer to him as I did. "What do you mean?" I shouted, louder than I expected my voice to go but I was surprisingly angry at him not telling me all of this earlier. I looked around at all the eyes staring at me now. All paranoia gone. Now, now I was purely angry with the knowledge being hidden from me and what was worse, was that I knew it was hidden from me at my expense....

"Tell me now!" I shouted even louder. The humans around me took a step back from my anger. All of them except Jeb, Melanie, Jared and of course Ian. Who, if anything, pulled me closer to him as my anger rose, knowing I needed calming but now I pushed him away and walked closer to Jeb. Jeb raised a hand as I did this, telling me to stop where I was. "Calm down Wanda, the reason we didn't tell you was only because we didn't want you to... worry!" I shook my head with disbelief and angst "You, didn't want me to worry?" I laughed at the irony of it all. Suddenly, I seemed a heck of a lot more confident than before. I think my anger was the reason for that "when you say "we", do you mean the ones who would rather kill someone close to their own kind than the seeker herself?" I laughed again, finding his lack of effort to contain my angst hilarious. Humans were pathetic, I thought to myself. But only me knew the real reason behind my anger...

"Now calm down! No one wanted to kill you Wanda!" I looked into his eyes now and he knew that what he had just said was a lie. "Okay, maybe at first some people might of had an urge to..." we both glanced at Kyle "but now, yes, yes you are one of us and we're not letting you slip away! So just shut up and listen for your own good!" I did as he said, grunting with aggravation after he ordered this. "Okay, well, as I was saying before, We didn't want you to.. worry, because you mean a lot to us Wanda. Whether you like it or not" he looked around at everyone in the quite large group "you're one of us now Wanda and we were trying to help you." I blinked my eyes with shock, what else could they help me with? I already had everything I needed right here. "What do you mean, Jeb?" I asked, almost demanding an answer. Jeb shook his head and I now saw the pain in his eyes as he did so. I now saw how he really didn't want to explain his sorrow and reason for wanting to help me but he finally spoke up again. "Wanda, we want to save you!" I shook my head, still very confused but I knew that the reason behind all of this would be quite bad, as everyone suddenly fell with sadness and shock around us. "Jeb, please" I now had tears in my eyes, already half knowing the answer "tell me." Jeb shook his head but not refusing. No. He was just merely excepting what was fact and trying to get his bearings around it all. "Wanda, we want you to live on and we'll do what we have to do to do this!" I was getting annoyed now. Still not having the answer I secretly already knew. My eyes pleaded him to explain what he meant by this and he finally did. He looked over to Ian and me, I suddenly got the feeling that this was news to both Ian and me now and then he spoke in a gentle voice, holding back tears in his voice. "You could die, Wanda but we cant let that happen." I gulped with the unexpected shock from the news a part of me already felt coming. Ian's face turned from confused to saddened in this very short space of time. "We'll do what we have to do to..." His voice drifted away on the last word and I saw a tear fall out of Ian's eye. I think he knew it too. That this was always going to come back for me. But he didn't know that I had known this all along. The secret that none of them knew about me. The one I tried my hardest to keep safe but now, it had seemed to become a harsh reality. The secret that has been within me and many other souls for generations. But the question is, could I tell them...?
♠ ♠ ♠
A fan-made chapter I made for fans of The Host. Hope you like it x x x