The Man in the Iron Mask

Chapter Twelve

I had only been minding my own business somewhere just outside the castle walls when I’d heard the snarls and felt the sting of acid on my arm. I turned, somewhat reluctantly, finding myself faced with a… well, I wasn’t sure what it had been. Loki had gone through a few of the creatures I was likely to run into but nothing he’d described had been anything like that… that… thing out there. It had been three times my size and more pissed off than I had been. That seemed impossible. Of all the tasks I could have been appointed to, Loki thought I would most enjoy picking berries. Picking berries. I was half tempted to pick the poison ones and turn them in as being edible, though didn’t want to annoy him. He seemed in no mood for that kind of thing and really, I didn’t want to kill anyone. Not seriously. Not even him.

“I’ve come to apply lotion…” A small voice came from the door to Loki’s bedroom where a young woman stood, her head hung so low I couldn’t see her face.

“You can come in,” I said after a while had passed and she hadn’t moved. Finally, her bare feet brought her forward and she took a seat beside me on the floor. “You can sit on the couch…”

“A-are you sure?”

“I’m positive.” She smiled and got up, sitting beside me as she opened the lid on the small container and proceeded to smother my still burning arm in a green jelly-like substance. I cringed, but it was tolerable. I was told by Loki as he dragged me through the palace halls that it could have been a lot worse. He didn’t seem very sympathetic towards me. I would have been worried about him if he had been mauled by a wolf in that forest back at home as we wandered through it on the run. He hadn’t stayed to make sure I was okay. He seemed busy, so I let him be. I didn’t really want to know what he might be up to. He’d been rather sneaky the last few days. I wondered what he got up to as I was out all day and there was no one to… check up on him. I felt he needed checking up on, but maybe that was just my now former career still talking to me. There was always something in his eye that told me he’d been up to no good. I was sure he could hide it from me if he wanted to, though he never did.

“What do you think of Loki?” I asked the woman. Her eyes widened as she looked up at me but in what seemed a rehearsed motion, she spread a smile over her face before replying.

“He is a God, my lady, and of noble blood. I think very highly of him.”

“If he possessed no such luck in the circumstances of his birth, then what?”

“I’m afraid you’re trying to get me to say something I might regret, my lady.”

“Oh god, don’t call me that. My name’s Madeline. What’s yours?”

“You really care to know?”

“Sure.” I felt my heart sink at the shock in her facial features.

“Sylvessa.” She had such a nice name. It was only a pity she seemingly wasn’t supposed to use it. “And my feelings on Loki are… well, not the same as I imagine yours might be. If I’m honest with you.”

“Why’s that?”

“I… can’t say. It’s nothing personal, Madeline, but I would prefer not to recall it.” I frowned as I tried to imagine what she might be repressing but knew I would probably rather not know what he’d once done to her. I wondered if it were something recent, or something a long time ago. I tried to remember I was supposed to be in something of a romantic relationship with Loki and so asked no further questions.

“What is the meaning of this!?” I cringed at the sound of Loki’s voice and shrank back into myself almost as much as Sylvessa did. She was quick to get up, bow in my direction, and make her way up to Loki as he stood in the doorway. I watched as he struck her with the back of his hand, absolutely no emotion showing on his face.

“You will not be found on my furnishings again,” he said as he grabbed a fistful of her hair, releasing it as he pushed her out the door. He was pointing at me, now, as he made his way over. “And you…”

“Spare me your scolding, dearest,” I spat, madder than I thought I was. “You can’t treat people like that!”

“Oh?” In a few angry paces he was by my side, his hands around my throat. “You may have been the one to save me but do not think I owe you anything,” he whispered into my ear, his hands getting tighter. “I owe nothing to nobody.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So how many people have picked up that I clearly have no plot set for this? :P

Listen to an audio recording of this chapter here by meguinpenguin.