Status: Short stories

Horror Stories for the Sick Minded

Nightmare in the Forest

Crunch, crunch, crunch. My black combat boots make a trail in the deep, crystalline snow that surrounds me. I push my brown, bleach blonde and blue hair out of my eyes as I follow two thin, scruffy looking squirrels that are in search of food. The snow that was softly falling from the sky starts picking up along with the wind. I do a little dance to keep warm in my many, rainbow colored layers. Looking around, I notice that the squirrels are gone, along with my foot prints. I turn around quickly, hearing a twig snap behind me. I peer into the shadows, trying to see what made the noise. Suddenly, an owl hoots ominously and I jump. Glancing around once more, I notice the shadows are reaching out trying to grab me, stretching longer…oh so longer… Slowly, I start shuffling back the way I think I came in the knee high snow. ‘Don’t get lost,’ my mom had said. ‘Don’t go into the woods,’ my dad had warned. ‘There is a murderer afoot.’ I shiver as a strong gust of icy, clean air chills me to the bone. I keep this slow pace for what feels like hours upon hours until I see a wee house in the distance. I break into a trot, rubbing my numb fingers together. I knock on the weathered door and it creaks open slowly…oh so slowly… I carefully walk in, looking around. I turn the corner and freeze. There, leaning against the couch, was the most horrific sight I have ever seen. Blood splattered the walls and carpet, and my mother is lying on the once burgundy couch, as if she was asleep. Out of the corner of my eye, I see something move. Standing in the corner of the shacks den, was an unnaturally tall, slim man, grinning evilly with my mother’s blood covering his clothing, his chin, and his teeth. Those teeth… The canines were sharply pointed and vampire-like. The vampire leaps at me with a murderous gleam in his eyes, fangs bared. I spin around and run out of the little cabin. Running as my track coach had taught me, I leap over undergrowth and fallen trees, only to stumble as I landed. As I regain my balance, I spare a glance back, only to see the murderer a few feet away. I start sprinting, only to realize exactly how much the snow hinders me. I dive into some nearby bushes, panting from exertion. I peek out of the branches. The vampire is looking around and doing what seems like sniffing the air. Slowly with a malevolent smile, the vampire turns to face the bushes I was hiding in. He strides over to where I am hiding and reaches through the branches. With his superior strength, he grabs me by the throat and slams me against a tree, stunning me. The last thing I see is his glistening fangs, reaching towards me.
Groaning, I throw my arm over my eyes to block out the glaring light. After a moment of lying there, I sit up and look around, only to find myself back in the shack, lying on a different couch. I glance around, and then blink in shock at the sight of my mother sitting at a table, reading the newspaper, looking as alive as ever. The first thing I ask is,
“Am I dead?” My mom chuckles at me.
“No honey, you've changed. We've changed. We’re vampires now. You've been out for at least three days.” Looking around in shock, I see the man who made this monster, sitting in a corner, watching me silently.
“Hello child. You may call me Marcel.” He says in a quiet tone. I stare at him, emotionless, and turn back to my mom.
“What about dad?” She looks troubled for a second.
“I…don’t know. I think we need to find him.” I smile as we stand up. Side by side, we go off to find my father.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yups... Wrote it for creative writing.