All the Faint Lights

025:

Chapter Twenty Five
-Caroline-
'...Shit, shit, shit, shit, I can't do this! Just call him and say- Say, I don't know, another time!...' I was pacing back and forth, completely nervous about this date with James that was supposed to take place in a half hour. I was in my dress already, but I was running around barefoot, not knowing where my nude pumps were, and then I didn't know what to do with my hair, '...Oh my god! Don't cry, you just did your makeup!...'

Image

"Knock, knock!" I heard and snapped my head towards my bedroom door to see Trisha walking in, "Oh honey, you look- What's wrong?"

"I can't do this," I bent over and managed to say.

"Oh honey, breathe," Trisha said as she walked over and wrapped her arms around me and sat me down on the bed, "Everything is going to be fine, I promise you."

"Every time we want to have a conversation, we end up arguing," I said and then ran my fingers through my hair.

"Linny, everything is going to be fine," she said and then squeezed my shoulder, "You look gorgeous, you're going to take James' breath away."

"I know I said that I wanted to start over, but what if it's the same thing?" I said and Trisha sighed.

"You won't know until you try, Linny, just try," she said and I gulped and nodded my head, "Now, what can I help you with?"

"I can't find my nude pumps," I said and Trisha made some sort of noise and I saw her jump up from my bed and leave my room, only to return with my pumps in hands, "You!"

"Sorry, sorry! You were out and they looked really cute with my outfit and I forgot to give them back!" she said and I slid them on my feet.

"What am I going to do with my hair?" I sighed as I looked in the mirror.

"Leave it down, but curl it a little- What time is he coming?"

"Six," I sighed and Trisha looked at her watch and groaned.

"Not enough time for hot rollers, um- Just leave it straight," she said and I nodded my head and then released the clip from my hair and felt my long brown hair fall against my back, "Beautiful."

I heard the doorbell ring, '...That's him...'

Trisha was squealing and I felt like I was going to be sick, I don't know if I was nervous or excited for this date, maybe a little of both, I didn't know. Trisha ran out of the room to get the door and I told her I would be out in a minute, wanting to finish switching some personal items to a smaller purse.

I must have taken longer than I thought because Trisha ended up coming back into the room and telling me to hurry up. She had a bright smile on her face and I saw her run back down the hallway. I sighed and then did one last check in the mirror before walking out of my room, down the hall and into the living room.

I gasped when I saw James standing in the living room holding a dozen red roses and looking as nervous as me. I gave him a little smile and he smile back, blushing a little.

"You look- Wow," he said and I giggled and nodded my head.

"You too," I muttered and then bit my lip, '...You too, what the hell- Why'd you say that?! Tell him he looks gorgeous and you want to maul him right there!...'

"Um, for you," he said and handed the flowers out and I smiled brightly and was about to take a step forward but Trisha squealed and snatched the flowers from James' hand.

"So cute, they're beautiful- Don't mean to rush ya, but out!" she said and then started to walk towards the kitchen, "I'll put these in water, but shoo!"

"Wow, wait to make him feel welcomed," I snorted and James chuckled a little.

"I'm James," he said and held out his hand and I looked at him confused, but then smiled brightly, realizing what was happening.

"Caroline," I giggled and then placed my small hand in his and we shook.

"Nice to meet you," James smiled and I tried not to laugh, but it was hard, "Shall we go?"

"Yes," I smiled and then went to grab my jacket from the closet and threw it on.

"Have fun! Have her out as late as you want! Just come home happy!" Trisha yelled from the kitchen and I rolled my eyes and felt James' hand on the small of my back as he led me outside and towards his car.

It was still warm from when he had it on before. James' opened the passenger door and I slid right in, feeling the heated leather seats beneath my thighs. James walked over towards the driver's door and hopped in. He started the car up and backed out of the parking spot.

"So what's on the agenda for tonight?" I asked and he smirked at me.

"It's a surprise," he said as he pulled onto the road and I laughed and looked out the window, "So what are you interested in?"

"What?" I asked confused, '...Are we really doing this? Really starting over?...'

"Likes, dislikes, favorite food, music, craziest thing you aver did," he listed and then looked at me and smirked when he stopped at a red light.

"I like a lot of things," I laughed, "I like music, the country, favorite food is probably pizza."

"Favorite junk food?"

"Deep fried oreo," I smiled brightly and looked at me with disgust, "What?"

"That sounds nasty!"

"It's 'so' good though!" I laughed.

"Random facts?"

"I grew up in Tennessee," I said and then saw his head nod.

"What made you move?" he asked and I looked towards the ground and then tucked a piece of hair behind my head.

"Needed a change," I said, not sure if the 'first' date was the best time to tell him about my mom, "So what about you? What do you do?" I smiled, playing the game.

"I'm a professional hockey player," he said and then stopped at another red light.

"Hockey player, huh? Got all your teeth?" I laughed and he smirked towards me and nodded his head, flashing his pearly whites.

"See," he said and I smiled.

We drove for a little bit, talking about each other's pasts, learning things that I never knew before. James pulled up to this little restaurant that on the edge of Pittsburgh, it rested over the river and you could see the ships roaming around in the waters, lights shining off of them.

James helped me out of the car and we walked into the restaurant, there were a few people, but no one looked our way. James just smiled towards the waiter and the man knew who James was and told us to follow him.

'...James must come here a lot...' I thought as I followed behind the waiter and feeling James' hand on my back.

We got to the table and James pulled out my chair and then pushed me in when I sat down. We were in the back of the restaurant, in an enclosed patio that over looked the river. We were the only ones in the section, there were candles and little flowers in the middle of the table. I smiled and then watched as James sat down across from me and smiled softly.

"So how'd I do?" he asked and I laughed and nodded my head.

"Who'd you ask for help?!" I smiled brightly and James sighed, his head went down and I laughed, thinking it was sweet that he asked for help.

"Duper helped me," James said and I placed my hand on top of his.

"Well, it's cute," I said and James blushed. I pulled my hand back when the waiter came over with some wine and asked if we'd like to taste it, James declined and said that he would just have some kind of beer and the waiter looked at me, "Oh no, I'm not a wine person, I'll have a Blue Moon," I smiled ordering my favorite beer and then looking towards James' surprised face.

"Never knew a girl who didn't like wine," he smirked and I rolled my eyes and looked at the menu.

"I've never been here, something tells me you have," I said and James nodded his head, "What's good here?"

"Everything," James said and I laughed.

"That doesn't help me," I smiled and James chuckled and closed his menu.

"Just close your eyes and point to something on the menu," he said and I laughed, "No seriously, that's what I do when I can't decide what to get."

"All right," I laughed and then closed my eyes and pointed to an item on the menu, "Eggplant parm," I read and made a disgusted face.

"It's honestly really good," James said and I looked at him unsure, "Choose again if you don't want to try it, that's what I'm getting."

I choose again and landed on chicken scampi, something I could deal with. The waiter came and we placed our orders in and then when the waiter was gone, James and I looked at each other, not sure what to do now. We were both nervous about this, not knowing what was going to happen and making sure that we watched what we said.

I looked out into the river and saw a yacht on the river, people looked to be partying on the top of the boat, '...It's freezing out, why would they do that?...'

The waiter brought some bread out, but I dug in the basket for the bread sticks at the bottom. I smiled, it brought back some old memories, "When my brothers, sister and I were younger, when our parents took us out to dinner, we would all fight for the bread sticks and then pretend that they were swords and have fights with them," I giggled and looked up to see James smirking.

"That's funny," James chuckled and I nodded my head.

'...This isn't so bad...'