All the Faint Lights

003:

Chapter Three
“So you’re telling me that that hit wasn’t on purpose?” I asked him as I sat on the desk and stared at the screen, Trisha was showing me the hit that James Neal had made on this Andrew Ference of the Boston Bruins.

“Yes, it wasn’t on purpose,” James said as she sat in the chair in front of the desk.

“And then you made a comment of calling him a ball less baboon? Even though the hit wasn’t on purpose?” I asked and he looked at me suspiciously, “Hey don’t look at me like that! I’m just saying what I see right here, I’m sorry, but it looks intentional, and you’re talking to a girl who knows nothing about hockey.”

“The how the hell do you know what you’re saying?!” he growled.

“Because I know what it’s like to be angry, so does every person on this earth. Anger makes you do stupid things,” I said and he scoffed and leaned deeper into his chair.

“I didn’t do it.”

“Whatever you say-“

“Caroline,” Trisha sighed and then shook her head, “James, you can see where I’m coming, it does look pretty bad-“

“Well it’s your job to fix it! So fix it!” he snapped and I looked at him shocked that he would talk to my sister like that.

“Now listen here you little-“

“Caroline, can you go grocery shopping for me, I’m gunna be late coming home,” she said as she dug through her purse and handed me her credit card and list.

I growled and glared at James but sighed and agreed. I snatched the items out of Trisha’s hand and then grabbed my stuff and walked out of the door, hoping that my sister ripped that guy a new one.

I made my way down to the elevator and pushed the bottom floor button, hoping that I was going the right way.

“Well shit,” I muttered as I looked around and found myself lost again, “Huh, which way,” I said and then spun around and then yelped when I came face to face with Sidney Crosby, “Jesus, you scared me.”

He chuckled, “Sorry. You all right?”

“A little lost,” I laughed nervously.

“Ah, yeah, it’s easy to get lost in here if you’re not use to the place,” he said and I nodded my head, “Where’d you park?”

“Outside.”

“Yeah, I got that,” he laughed, “Which parking lot?”

“Um,” I shrugged my shoulders and tried to look innocent, “A parking lot outside.”

“No shit,” he smirked and shook his head, “Come on.”

It took a few tries, but we found the door that I entered in and then Sidney walked me to me Jeep. I thanked him and then made my out of the parking lot and towards the grocery store. I looked at my phone when I stopped at a red light and saw that my dad had texted me telling me that he wanted to work on some more covers. I sighed and then replied telling him that I needed to get some grocery shopping finished, but I’ll be over later.

He responded with [We’ll do it 2morrow.]

I groaned and then threw my phone onto the seat and made my way to the store.

-Trisha-
“What’s going on with you?” I asked as I looked at James, “Are you all right?”

“I’m sorry, it’s just, it pisses me off, everyone thinks that I did it on purpose, and I didn’t!” he sighed and then rubbed his face.

“James, don’t-“ I sighed and then threw a pen at him because he wasn’t listening to me, “Don’t worry about what other people think.”

“But-“

“Don’t worry about what other people think,” I repeated and he smirked and shook his head, “I’ll fix this, don’t worry. It is my job after all.”

“Yeah, about that-“

“You just owe me big,” I said and he smirked and nodded his head.

“I owe you my career,” he said and I smirked and nodded my head.

“Yeah, well, that’s debatable,” I laughed and then looked at the time to see that it was time for me to go, “Walk me out?”

“Sure,” he said and I nodded my head and grabbed my stuff and shut down my office, “So your sister?”

“I was waiting for that,” I laughed.

“She apparently doesn’t like me too much,” he said and I shook my head.

“She doesn’t know you, just like you don’t know her,” I stated, “No one is allowed to go near my sister with your horny intentions.”

“What? Come on!”

“Nope, that includes Max! I’ll tear him apart if he does,” I stated as I locked my office door and walked down the hallway with James.

-Caroline-
“Dad! I can’t sing it that way! It’s too high and my voice doesn’t go that high!” I growled into to microphone and glared at my father through the window, “If you want me to do the song then I need to do it low.”

“No! Get it high-“

“I can’t do high!” I yelled and then took my headphones off and threw them onto the microphone and walking out of the soundproof room.

“Where are you going?!”

“Home.”

“We have a demo to make!” he said and I looked towards him and shook my head.

“We made the demo, O’Ryan sent it in!” I said and dad shook his head.

“It wasn’t ready!”

“It was! Send the damn thing in, because I’m not singing anymore songs for it!” I yelled and then stomped up the stairs, hearing my dad calling my name.

“Caroline,” I heard when I slammed the door and turned around to see O’Ryan and Jake sitting at their kitchen counter.

“I can’t- I can’t do-“ I growled and struggled with my words.

“It’s all right girl, breathe,” he said and Jake stood up and walked over towards me.

“Come on girl, let’s get some air,” he said and then wrapped his arm around my shoulder and we walked out of the house and over towards my jeep, “We goin’-“

“Yup,” I stated as I hopped into my driver’s seat and Jake jumped into the passenger seat.

“What happened?”

“He wants to redo the demo,” I said as I turned my jeep on and pulled out of the driveway, “I can’t get my voice as high as he wants it to, I’ve tried! But I can’t!”

“It’s all right Linny, we know where to go to let your frustrations out,” Jake smirked and I smiled and nodded my head.

I drove into the city and pulled into a parking spot in front of RJ’s studio. I smiled just looking at the sign and hopped out of the Jeep and made my way inside.

“Hey!” RJ said happily when he saw me, “I wasn’t expecting you today!”

“Need mic, need country,” I said and RJ smirked and nodded his head.

“What track?”

“Three,” I said and he nodded his head and I threw my stuff at Jake and walked into the box. I got myself situated and RJ started to play the music. I smiled when I heard the soft melody, “I run from hate, I run from prejudice, I run from pessimists, but I run too late. I run my life, or is it running me. Run from my past, I run too fast, or too slow it seems. When lies become the truth, that’s when I run to you…”

I smiled brightly and sang into the microphone, happy that I was doing what I loved. I saw my brothers appear in front of the window and smirked when they saw me. I figured they must have heard me, since they live right above the studio.

“…Run to you,” I sang and then stepped back from the microphone and fist pumped into the air, seeing the guys clapping.

“Hey Linny, Trisha dropped off a new song after work yesterday, why don’t you give it a try?” Asher asked as he pressed the button and spoke into the microphone out there.

“Uh, she, I need the paper, because I don’t know the words,” I said and Asher handed a piece of paper to Gordon, who walked over towards the door and walked in, “What’s it called?” I asked as I hung the headphones around my neck and took the paper.

“Done,” Gordon said and my eyes widened and I took the paper, “It’s good, Trisha even gave us some music too.”

“That’s not Trish’s song,” I said and looked at the lyrics and then back at my brother who was confused, “This is mine!”