CSI: Across the Pond

Chapter 18

Gerard and Mikey had to practically drag Frank aboard the plane. He could barely keep his eyes open and had nearly run into several people so far. They had all decided against getting coffee that morning, knowing they would want to sleep on the plane. Now that was starting to seem like a mistake.

They managed to take their seats without any major problems, and the plane took off a few minutes later. Gerard took out his laptop as soon as they were allowed to, seeing the girl sitting next to him do the same.

“Can I get you something to drink?” the flight attendant asked kindly.

“Espresso,” Gerard said almost automatically. The girl shook her head, instead drawing a bottle of Mountain Dew from her backpack. Gerard decided not to ask, instead pulling the case file up on his laptop. He planned on going through it thoroughly and making sure everything was in order.

“Are you Lieutenant Way?” the girl asked suddenly. Gerard nodded. She frowned at him. “You have a lot to apologize for.” His eyes widened. He had never even seen this girl before. She couldn’t have been more than sixteen.

“What are you talking about?”

“I mean dragging me halfway across the world like this!” she said in a loud whisper. Several others nearby were asleep. “It’s not easy trying to track you down.”

“I’m afraid I have no idea what you mean. Who are you?” he asked in confusion. The girl sighed.

“I’m from the ICSIA. I interviewed you when you guys won “Team of the Year.” And now they’ve sent me chasing after you for a new story.”

“The ICSIA? You’re just a kid,” he said somewhat suspiciously. She scowled at him.

“I’m sixteen. I’m not a kid. And before you ask, I’ve traveled alone internationally many times. Besides, I’ll have to get used to it if they ever decide to let me be more than a field reporter.” She reached for the bottle of soda and drained the last third of it, taking out another one just as quickly.

“Are you planning on staying awake the entire time?” Gerard asked incredulously. She nodded. “But that’s at least nine hours.”

“That’s why I brought four bottles of this,” she answered, motioning to the lime green soda. “Usually just one would be enough, but I’ve spent all day running after you and Matt, and I’m not exactly exploding with energy right now,” she said flatly, glaring at him again.

“You never told me what your name was,” said Gerard. He realized his coffee was there and promptly drank all of it at once.

“Christine,” she answered, opening several files on her computer.

“I’m Frank,” Frank said in a dazed tone, sitting behind Gerard. Mikey was next to him and rolled his eyes.

“I’m Mikey.”

“I know who you guys are. This isn’t the first thing I’ve written about you.”

“Really?” Frank asked sleepily. He was trying to see over the top of the seat in front of him, but without much luck. The girl nodded.

“You can read the other one, if you want. It’s not that good,” she added sheepishly.

“I’ll be the judge of that,” said Gerard, watching as she opened the file. He handed his computer off to Mikey before looking at the screen.

“‘Gerard Way: Crime Scene Investigator,’” he said, reading the title. The girl seemed embarrassed about sharing her work. He laughed upon seeing the two photos of their team underneath the title, one formal and one realistic. They were the same pictures hanging on the wall of his office. “I like it.”
-
…What?

…It’s over?

When did this happen?! I can’t believe it. O_O* Well, I hope you liked it. I might put up a threequel (a sequel to the sequel) if I feel like it. But not right now. I have other stories to finish.